What is the right way of defending God to non-believers?

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all so much! I have ordered all the books you have recommended and will watch those videos, PROPHECYKID!
Great. Tell me how you enjoy them. Afterwards you can watch his personal testimony as well where he talks about his life and transition from being an athiest and evolutionist to a creationist and christian.

Upvote 0

RIAlred

Aug 23, 2019
Yakima
✟8,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi!

I have been asking many questions here recently as I am a New Christian so I hope you do not mind!

So, to explain a little for those who may not have read my prior posts - none of my family are Christian and neither is my husband. Although, since I have started praying and including him in my prayers in the hope he would find his faith, he has been speaking more openly about God and Heaven so I think he may also be finding his! :D

This particular incident occurred on Sunday but I am also preparing myself for many more to come...

My family - in - law (who were raised Catholic and are now very anti religion) were speaking very derogatorily about religion and Christianity and Catholicism in particular. Statements such as 'people must be stupid to still believe something they read' and 'how can there be a God when evolution has been proved' were amongst the many thoughts they were telling everybody.

I have to add that they have never asked if I am religious in any way... and I haven't told them that I have found my faith yet.
My husband and I didn't have a church wedding as at this time, I hadn't found my faith.

And... in that moment... I didn't really know what to say. I didn't know whether to tell them that I was in fact Christian or that I was offended by the way they were speaking (I know they are entitled to their opinions and free speech).
I wouldn't say they are stupid... but certainly ignorant.

My response was just to state that everybody believes what they read... whether it is scientific, on social media or the Bible. Which didn't do much good..

My question is... what is the best way to justify your religion and the existence of God? Or should we at all or just leave people to their own thoughts?

I did go home from there and pray for them that night...

Upvote 0

RIAlred

Aug 23, 2019
Yakima
✟8,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My suggestion would be to not respond. I didnt believe in God for a number of years and have had many experiences with this sort on person. This attitude of disrespect and belittling faith is why I never called myself an atheist. When people's minds are set in that way of thinking there is nothing from man's mouth that can change that way of thinking. I think that this attitude is really just a defense mechanism because God is trying to reach them and no one can soften their heart but Him.

Reactions: MaryMadeleine
Upvote 0

MaryMadeleine

Aug 11, 2019
Norfolk
✟9,950.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As an update - I am halfway through Mere Christianity and WOW. It has not only given me so many things to think about along the way but also provided me with many ways to justify to outsiders. I have the other readings and videos on my list to follow!
Many thanks again!

Upvote 0

MaryMadeleine

Aug 11, 2019
Norfolk
✟9,950.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could I please ask for someone's input on this as I have a little confusion...

So, in Thessalonians 3:9-10, it states that: “If anyone is not willing to work, neither should he eat.”

But, where does this fit into helping those in need? I understand if those that genuinely aren't able to find work or are physically unable to work need support... but what about individuals who choose not to? Or turn to alcohol or drugs and are genuinely disinterested in working? As Christians, can we still help these people in terms of giving food etc or should it be regarded that if they refuse to work, they should not be helped?

Many thanks!

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed

So, in Thessalonians 3:9-10, it states that: “If anyone is not willing to work, neither should he eat.”

But, where does this fit into helping those in need? I understand if those that genuinely aren't able to find work or are physically unable to work need support... but what about individuals who choose not to? Or turn to alcohol or drugs and are genuinely disinterested in working? As Christians, can we still help these people in terms of giving food etc or should it be regarded that if they refuse to work, they should not be helped?

Many thanks!
Hi Mary, I’m new here too. Do YOU want to feed these people? Do you think Jesus would feed them?

Upvote 0

MaryMadeleine

Aug 11, 2019
Norfolk
✟9,950.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe Jesus would and I would in terms of food. Perhaps not with money if addiction was present in order to prevent enabling... but I wouldn't like to think of anyone in poverty. I live in an area with a lot of food banks and only some seasonal work so many are not able to work but there are a small amount who choose not to... just wondered what the proper way was to provide for these people or whether we shouldn't...

Upvote 0

Emmylouwho

Sep 5, 2019
New York
✟16,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe Jesus would and I would in terms of food. Perhaps not with money if addiction was present in order to prevent enabling... but I wouldn't like to think of anyone in poverty. I live in an area with a lot of food banks and only some seasonal work so many are not able to work but there are a small amount who choose not to... just wondered what the proper way was to provide for these people or whether we shouldn't...
I’d say listen to what your heart is telling you. From what I’ve read about Jesus, it seems to me he’d be doing the same thing you said your heart was telling you to do.
Remember, people’s brains can’t function properly if they are malnourished. People need water, food and shelter just in order to physically survive.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Many thanks!
Remember the context of 1 and 2 Thessalonians. There was a real problem in the church with people who didn't bother to get jobs because they believed the end was so close at hand, what was the point. This was bad for the church. Paul told them to work faithfully instead.

But yes, you do seem to be getting the difference between helping someone who can work but refuses to, and someone who legitimately cannot work. The latter deserve proper help. The former don't, you're just enabling them. That's not good for their own growth, or for society in general. It can even turn out bad for you.

Upvote 0