Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Question: What purpose do vigil candles serve? In my youth, I was told that the smoke from the candle carries our prayers to heaven, and as long as the candle stays lit, our prayers and intentions will be repeated. Is this true?

— Larry Kmet, Villa Park, Illinois

Answer:Vigil candles, often called votive candles, are a form of burnt offering. In the Old Testament, burnt offerings were common, especially at the Temple where animals were sacrificed in holocaust (a burnt offering). Part of the meat was retained for the priests in the temple, but the rest of the animal was burnt up. The point of a burnt offering was to take something of value, remove it from personal use or profit, and offer it entirely to God. In addition to burnt offerings, there were also libations (poured offerings of oil or water), cereal offerings (offerings of grain) and even wave offerings such as the waving of palm branches on Palm Sunday.

Votive candles are from the tradition of a burnt offering. A candle is purchased and burnt to the honor of God. It is also true, as you note, that the burning candle symbolizes our prayer and love for God and our request that he remember our prayers. Sometimes candles are lit at the shrines of saints, as well, to ask for their intercession. While it is true that a burning candle adds something to prayer, we ought not suppose that the prayer expires or is forgotten once the candle burns out. The flame of faith and love in our hearts is more essential than a candle in a church or shrine. Candles are more for our sake than for God, who does not have a poor memory. They are a beautiful symbol of our prayer and praise.

As for the smoke carrying our prayers up to heaven, this is only symbolically true. Incense is also a symbol in this regard: “Let my prayer be incense before you” (Ps 141:2). As symbols, we can regard smoke and incense as an image of praise and prayer rising to God, but the smoke does not literally convey our prayer “up to God.” Our prayer to God is cor ad cor loquitur (our heart speaking directly to God’s heart).

Blessings and curses

Continued below.

• Prayers
Reactions: WarriorAngel