What is the proper Christian response to privilege?

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
The concept of privilege is becoming more and more commonly deployed in modern political discourse. It is often used in discussions of race (white privilege), gender issues (male privilege), and sexuality issues (straight privilege). For this discussion, I am less interested in those specific instances of privilege and more interested in a general discussion of privilege from a Christian perspective.

To which I ask, what is the proper Christian response to privilege?

Some questions to spark discussion:
Do privilege exist? If it does, how does the Bible discuss privilege? Is privilege inherently good, bad, or neutral? How should a Christian support or oppose privilege? How should a Christian think about privilege? Is there a different between micro-level and macro-level privileges?

I am looking to sharpen my own thinking in this area, particularly from a theological perspective. I am inclined that privilege exists, but I also find the manner in which it is sometimes weaponized to be unfaithful to the Christian witness. Hence, I would like for my brothers and sisters to help us all engage in a deeper discussion on the issue.

The concept of "white privilege" is an expression of envy from other ethnic groups towards another ethnic group because of their success. And the Bible says not to envy others (James 3:16). Therefore, Christians shouldn't participate in this liberal nonsense.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Are you referring to the select group of peoples i referred to in post #8?
I dunno, you didn't specify. it may also apply to a select group of people who get less pay when doing the same work. Those who are privileged do not experience this treatment so are blind to it.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I dunno, you didn't specify. it may also apply to a select group of people who get less pay when doing the same work. Those who are privileged do not experience this treatment so are blind to it.

i gave enough of an idea of what groups i might be referring to for the sake of this word "privilege" and how it is "used" currently and whom is using it to accuse others of what they are oozing at the seams with themselves.

Nevertheless, would you care for more examples of how it is being used currently?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
i gave enough of an idea of what groups i might be referring to for the sake of this word "privilege" and how it is "used" currently and whom is using it to accuse others of what they are oozing at the seams with themselves.

Nevertheless, would you care for more examples of how it is being used currently?
Sure, why not?

Upvote 0

HandstoWorkHeartstoGod

Feb 11, 2017
PA - Pennsylvania
✟17,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have the "privilege" to lay my life down for the Lord. Each of us has the "privilege" to lay down our lives for the Lord's purposes on this Earth. This is so that God/Jesus may be glorified here and in Eternity.
We are told that it is foolish to compare ourselves to one another in scripture. Privilege as it is understood today, is comparing ourselves to one another. God states that it is foolish to think this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The concept of privilege is becoming more and more commonly deployed in modern political discourse. It is often used in discussions of race (white privilege), gender issues (male privilege), and sexuality issues (straight privilege). For this discussion, I am less interested in those specific instances of privilege and more interested in a general discussion of privilege from a Christian perspective.

To which I ask, what is the proper Christian response to privilege?

Some questions to spark discussion:
Do privilege exist? If it does, how does the Bible discuss privilege? Is privilege inherently good, bad, or neutral? How should a Christian support or oppose privilege? How should a Christian think about privilege? Is there a different between micro-level and macro-level privileges?

I am looking to sharpen my own thinking in this area, particularly from a theological perspective. I am inclined that privilege exists, but I also find the manner in which it is sometimes weaponized to be unfaithful to the Christian witness. Hence, I would like for my brothers and sisters to help us all engage in a deeper discussion on the issue.

Trying to make someone feel ashamed for being white or treating someone like their opinion doesn't matter because they are white is no different than doing that to someone because they are black. White privilege and male privilege is just the politically correct form of racism and sexism. I have friends on Facebook that link the most ridiculous mischaracterizations of political views that they disagree with and I know that if I ever try to explain to position or make a logical argument, then they will simply treat my opinion as if it doesn't matter because I need to check my white male privilege. There are many important issues that need to be discussed and many people who are afraid to discuss them because of how they will be treated in the name of tolerance, so this concept of privilege is extremely toxic both for the people that it is used against and for the people who are made to feel like they are oppressed while being given the justification to oppress others.

Upvote 0