sandbag

Jun 30, 2008
✟7,629.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
hello,

i'm not sure how this question will sound to everyone here, but i would be really grateful for any input.

i've just graduated this summer, and an opportunity has come up for me to do some post-graduate research, which i'm looking to officially begin on monday. it'll be at least 2 years. maybe 3 or 4.

i'm sort of doing it because it's all come about very naturally - i really couldn't find anything else to do with my life, and this was right there in front of me.

at times i feel pretty excited about the prospect. i feel like i could learn a lot, could understand certain things better, and express things more eloquently. i think i heard somewhere that my university's motto is, 'in order to explain something simply you must understand it profoundly' - and i suppose i'm thinking along those lines.

but on the other hand i'm thinking, 'am i really going to learn much about god, and will i be able to better bring about his kingdom because of taking this study?'

i would be grateful to here anyone's thoughts, especially if you have been in a similar place.

thank you!

vava524

Jun 23, 2009
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
I'm pursuing a doctoral degree in medicine but I feel like God's pulling me in another position to do something with the inner-city children in the neighborhood around me. I feel like if I decide to purse my dream of being a doctor, I turn my back on God. And I don't want to do that.
So here's what I'm doing. I know what God wants for me is so much better than what I want for my life. My focus in life will be God's dream and I'm thinking of becoming maybe a PA (Phyisican Assistant) so that I can devote my life to Him.
As for your problem, try looking into a part-time opportunity? Remember, when we delight ourselves in the Lord, He will give us all the desires of our heart.
Pray and follow the path that God wants you to do. Our lives here are only temporary. Might as well serve Him. Right?
Sorry the reply is long.

Upvote 0

Aaliyah

Sep 5, 2009
✟7,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
hello,

i'm not sure how this question will sound to everyone here, but i would be really grateful for any input.

i've just graduated this summer, and an opportunity has come up for me to do some post-graduate research, which i'm looking to officially begin on monday. it'll be at least 2 years. maybe 3 or 4.

i'm sort of doing it because it's all come about very naturally - i really couldn't find anything else to do with my life, and this was right there in front of me.

at times i feel pretty excited about the prospect. i feel like i could learn a lot, could understand certain things better, and express things more eloquently. i think i heard somewhere that my university's motto is, 'in order to explain something simply you must understand it profoundly' - and i suppose i'm thinking along those lines.

but on the other hand i'm thinking, 'am i really going to learn much about god, and will i be able to better bring about his kingdom because of taking this study?'

i would be grateful to here anyone's thoughts, especially if you have been in a similar place.

thank you!

If you're asking practically what the point is, but I don't think you are, is that it would give you a lot of experience so that you can get a good job.

Sometimes in life, we fall into traps of what we think we "should" be doing and that may be what your problem. I feel like you should do whatever you have a passion for or whatever God is telling you to do. If you don't feel like God is telling you to do this or you don't have passion for it, then if I were you I wouldn't do it.Also maybe you feel like God is telling you to NOT do this. What is the point of doing something you aren't going to be happy doing. Life is confusing and I think in our world today everybody just does what they are "supposed" to do and nobody really steps out of the box. It sucks but we have to deal with it and I feel the same way you do.m I just feel like I have to constantly fight against what I feel like other people think I should be doing, or think I should be. But, that's just my take on it. I hope I helped you and if not well, at least you got to hear a different point of view. :)

Upvote 0

ShawnK

Dec 7, 2009
Tampa, FL
✟7,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Honestly, I think you could only grow from the experience. I had a friend who recently did an internship in NYC and he was offered a position there after he receives his bachelor’s degree. However, he gratefully declined a great opportunity because he felt it wasn't God's plan. He prayed upon it and felt God had other things in store for him.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']However, he doesn't regret the 10-week internship, or declining the job offer. Granted yours is two or three years, but I would say it’s still just an experience to grow from. But just pray about it.[/FONT]

Keep me posted,
Shawn

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well the bible teaches about how seeking knowledge is important. Even if you don't see how it relates to God as much as you'd like, this doesn't mean it won't in the future. Seeking knowledge in a variety of areas is always a good idea. I think if it feels right to you, I wouldn't worry about it and just trust that it is the right thing.

Upvote 0