Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Right. But......I really believe that in most cases that's typically due to long-term and unresolved issues in the marriage.

Have you heard how the sexual relationship can be used as a sort of barometer of the health of the marriage? Lots of issues that aren't even in the forefront come out in that area (if both are physically healthy, I mean). How many times have we heard on forums like this where the guy gets "blindsided" by divorce papers? I doubt women are waking up and just want a little change in their life to make it more exciting, so they head off to the courthouse or attorney's office to file.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right. But......I really believe that in most cases that's typically due to long-term and unresolved issues in the marriage.

Have you heard how the sexual relationship can be used as a sort of barometer of the health of the marriage? Lots of issues that aren't even in the forefront come out in that area (if both are physically healthy, I mean). How many times have we heard on forums like this where the guy gets "blindsided" by divorce papers? I doubt women are waking up and just want a little change in their life to make it more exciting, so they head off to the courthouse or attorney's office to file.

Are you talking about mutually going without sex or one spouse rejecting the other?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are you talking about mutually going without sex or one spouse rejecting the other?

I'm talking about one spouse rejecting the other by not hearing their concerns....and that affecting the sexual relationship (that's one scenario). I don't see that as "sexual rejection" because the bond between them has been severed by the lack of concern....lack of empathy....lack of love.

There's another scenario where a person uses sex as a weapon to get their way (or to punish instead of facing conflicts). That's what I call "sexual rejection". That's passive aggressive behavior---and it's wrong.

I see those as two distinct scenarios that often get conflated in the discussion.

Upvote 0
R

russianorth

I'm talking about one spouse rejecting the other by not hearing their concerns....and that affecting the sexual relationship (that's one scenario). I don't see that as "sexual rejection" because the bond between them has been severed by the lack of concern....lack of empathy....lack of love.

There's another scenario where a person uses sex as a weapon to get their way (or to punish instead of facing conflicts). That's what I call "sexual rejection". That's passive aggressive behavior---and it's wrong.

I see those as two distinct scenarios that often get conflated in the discussion.

Men dont love or empathize the same way women do so when a man is a man and a woman then says well he is being mean and withholds sex its still refusal and still leads to failure of the relationship if the sex is not resumed. Because his mood will further deteriorate as the refusal goes on.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Men dont love or empathize the same way women do so when a man is a man and a woman then says well he is being mean and withholds sex its still refusal and still leads to failure of the relationship if the sex is not resumed. Because his mood will further deteriorate as the refusal goes on.

Oh please.

Sex at gunpoint.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

...and therein lies the problem.

We---as a culture---have bought into that lie. That's just what it is---a lie. Men *can* love and empathize in the same way women can. Do you see anywhere in the Bible where it mentions "love like Christ loves" (uh....which BTW....Christ *was* fully man as well as fully God, so to say "love like Christ" *is* asking men to "love like a man") that there is a division for men and women? For instance:

for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true)~Ephesians 5

and

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.~Colossians 3:12

No where (that I've seen) does it say that men have some sort of gender handicap when it comes to kindness and empathy (all parts of love).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe that's a good dating question, Leo?

I'm not good at figuring out tactful ways to phrase things......maybe someone else can come up with that. It does seem to be a question that reveals much (whether or not a man believes in a male handicap when it comes to love and empathy.....compassion).

Upvote 0
R

russianorth

The type of behavior you are advocating is generally viewed as weakness in the dating world. Do you expect men to just flip a switch becuase you have now picked him and are in a relationship?

Girly men who are in touch with their woman side dont ever leave the friend zone so what you are asking for is a catch 22.

Jesus flipped over tables and called Peter satan. Jesus was not a pandering girly man. Yes he was compasonate and loving but not in the way you framed it.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Jesus flipped over tables and called Peter satan. Jesus was not a pandering girly man. Yes he was compasonate and loving but not in the way you framed it.
Do you only know this one thing about Jesus?

Noted that you think that a man who empathizes is a "girly man."

Have you even considered that your attitude is the reason that you have relationship problems, or is always going to be the woman's fault - no matter how many different women you date and end up having the same problems. ISTM that at some point, someone who has some kind of clue might try looking within him or herself instead of constantly pointing a finger outwards.

Reactions: Inkachu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Girly men who are in touch with their woman side dont ever leave the friend zone so what you are asking for is a catch 22.
My husband is not a girly man but he is compassionate and tender. My boys can also be that way. So, perhaps you should consider that this is something missing in you, and not in all men.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The type of behavior you are advocating is generally viewed as weakness in the dating world. Do you expect men to just flip a switch becuase you have now picked him and are in a relationship?

Thank God I'm not in the dating world now, then.

However....my daughter is.....and oddly enough, she found a guy that wouldn't be considered a "girly man" by any means....however, he *does* demonstrate empathy and kindness (and a keen sense when it comes to noticing when something is bothering my daughter). And get this......he listens to her.....and seems to want to talk things out as well.

The description of the Fruit of the Spirit in the Bible (how I framed things earlier....not my own words) doesn't say that's only for women ("girly side"). That's a HUMAN side....one that's not void of emotion.

BTW.....when Jesus flipped over tables.....it wasn't a rage. He was there the prior day and did nothing. It seems that He "slept on it" and gave it some consideration. He's really the only one that had the authority to do that. That's the other side of love......we have to hate evil as well (like my signature verse says). That's not manly.......it's for women as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Thank God I'm not in the dating world now, then.

However....my daughter is.....and oddly enough, she found a guy that wouldn't be considered a "girly man" by any means....however, he *does* demonstrate empathy and kindness (and a keen sense when it comes to noticing when something is bothering my daughter). And get this......he listens to her.....and seems to want to talk things out as well.

The Fruit of the Spirit described in the Bible (how I framed things earlier....not my own words) don't say that's only for women ("girly side"). That's a HUMAN side....one that's not void of emotion.

BTW.....when Jesus flipped over tables.....it wasn't a rage. He was there the prior day and did nothing. It seems that He "slept on it" and gave it some consideration. He's really the only one that had the authority to do that. That's the other side of love......we have to hate evil as well (like my signature verse says). That's not manly.......it's for women as well.
:clap: Wonderful MKGal.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"I don't base my marriage on if or when my husband tells me I am beautiful, and I don't consider sex to be based upon that. I also don't base my identity on my sexuality. I'm a lot more than a body 'in heat'."

Sorry,Hetta,I don't buy it. If you are saying that if your husband stopped complimenting you, or being turned on by you and it didn't affect your sense of emotional wellbeing or your IDENTITY as a wife you don't have a marriage....maybe a weak friendship. No,you would probably have that knot in your stomach that wonders "who else is he with?".

"I agree with Hetta---that's not a healthy thing. That sounds more like some sort of bondage (not fetish bondage.....but something our enemy has a hold on due to believing some sort of lie). Any time we are dependent on something besides God and His provision.....there's that possibility of becoming bound. "

Yet marriage IS a bond,you are in bondage to your husband! In our marital bonds we are called to be fruitful (identity),to depend on love and sexual love to keep that bond stable,procuring food water etc. Sex was not just an add-on,but something integral to the oneness a man and woman have in reflecting the image of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

russianorth

This man's mission is to help "reconnect" boys hearts with their brains (empathy).

I don't see him as a "girly man" at all. I thank God he's using his voice and knowledge:

Be A Man: Joe Ehrmann at TEDxBaltimore 2013 - YouTube

That's nice except women don't respond to men who cry or act weak. Women want strength, security, provision, etc. So they can preach all they want but until women start responding differently men are going to keep acting like douches.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's nice except women don't respond to men who cry or act weak. Women want strength, security, provision, etc. So they can preach all they want but until women start responding differently men are going to keep acting like douches.

Crying isn't weakness. It's humanity. I want a man who acts like a human being. There's a big difference between a man who blubbers uncontrollably at the drop of a hat, and one who can show he has a heart and feelings and can express sadness or pain with dignity. My hubby cries now and then, and it makes me admire and love him all the more. So take the "preach all they want" nonsense and toss it.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

You don't know "women" - just the ones you have chosen and discarded for the reasons you chose and discarded them.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Sorry,Hetta,I don't buy it. If you are saying that if your husband stopped complimenting you, or being turned on by you and it didn't affect your sense of emotional wellbeing or your IDENTITY as a wife you don't have a marriage....maybe a weak friendship. No,you would probably have that knot in your stomach that wonders "who else is he with?".
*Shrug*. You don't know me or my husband so it doesn't really bother me what you think, but for someone who is divorced to be lecturing those who are happily married about how their marriage will fail is quite an irony. I wonder sometimes whether there is a lot of jealousy involved, or a desire to see their marriages fail also. But that won't be happening, so.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.