Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where did man get it from?

James 4:17 -
Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Man created evil by not obeying what God has commanded. Did Adam not have the choice between both 'trees', and yet from himself chose the 'tree' of which God commanded not to eat?

Do you not see that you create evil when you disobey God's commands?

Upvote 0

JackSparrow

Dec 12, 2012
North London UK
✟825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

James 4:17 -
Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Man created evil by not obeying what God has commanded. Did Adam not have the choice between both 'trees', and yet from himself chose the 'tree' of which God commanded not to eat?

Do you not see that you create evil when you disobey God's commands?

Did Adam choose anything ? His wife was deceived, she ate the fruit. She gave some to Adam. What were his choices ? To support his wife or turn his back !

I think he was in a dilemma.

Upvote 0

gmm4j

Jul 22, 2012
SC
✟2,859.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Job 34:10-15
10 "So listen to me, you men of understanding.
Far be it from God to do evil,
from the Almighty to do wrong.
11 He repays a man for what he has done;
he brings upon him what his conduct deserves.
12 It is unthinkable that God would do wrong,
that the Almighty would pervert justice.
13 Who appointed him over the earth?
Who put him in charge of the whole world?
14 If it were his intention
and he withdrew his spirit and breath,
15 all mankind would perish together
and man would return to the dust.

Ps 5:4
You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil;
with you the wicked cannot dwell.

Prov 14:16
A wise man fears the LORD and shuns evil,
but a fool is hotheaded and reckless.

Upvote 0

Arcoe

Do This And Live!
Sep 29, 2012
Texas
✟2,356.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did Adam choose anything ? His wife was deceived, she ate the fruit. She gave some to Adam. What were his choices ? To support his wife or turn his back !

I think he was in a dilemma.

Adam had the opportunity to obey God's command. Rather, he chose to eat of the fruit which which was forbidden. If my wife gets drunk (which she doesn't btw), and wants me to join her in her drinking binge, I have the right and free-will to reject her offer and obey the Lord. And I will not support her decision to sin.

And yes, everyone with the temptation to sin is in a dilemma. We all have the temptation from which 'tree' to eat.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
quote=Elderone;God is not the author of evil.

The word "evil" in Isaiah 45:7 means something different to us today.
I am willing to listen to this argument, but not without close scrutiny.
I've heard it before, but everyone has there own color to add, so do go on...

We think of Hitler and the acts he and other people perpertrated, mass murder, ethenic clensing, etc. as evil, but the evil of Isaiah 45:7 as Matthew Henry puts it, "I form the light, which is grateful and pleasing, and I create darkness, which is grievous and unpleasing. I make peace (put here for all good) and I create evil, not the evil of sin (God is not the author of that), but the evil of punishment. I the Lord order, and direct, and do all these things".

Best one I've heard yet, and it's completely accceptable as evil is indeed "grevious & unpleasing". The evil of punishment is a description of our experience of punishment. Righteous judgement is another way of describing God's punishments. And I agree that being the creaor of evil is not the same as being the author of it, because authors while being "creative" are not creative in the same sense as God, who creates from nothing. Human authors are creative, but only with pre-existing substances. So I imagine God created evil as a possibility for us to choose.

John Gill puts it this way, ""evil" is also from him; not the evil of sin; this is not to be found among the creatures God made; this is of men, though suffered by the Lord, and overruled by him for good: but the evil of punishment for sin, God's sore judgments, famine, pestilence, evil beasts, and the sword, or war, which latter may more especially be intended, as it is opposed to peace; this usually is the effect of sin; may be sometimes lawfully engaged in; whether on a good or bad foundation is permitted by God; moreover, all afflictions, adversities, and calamities, come under this name, and are of God".
I totaly respect & often refer to Mr. Gill's commentaries for good exegesis, agreeing with him approx. 9 out of ten times. However, althugh I completely agree with this last assertion, I must add that sin itself is in a sense, judgement from God also because it was by His judgement that we all suffer from Adam's misdeed. So when I sin, it is me. When I do good, it is Him in me. Total sovereignity.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where did man get it from?
Very pointed question.
This is why I conclude God created evil as a possibility.
If He hadn't provided the option, we wouldn't have it to choose.
It is in the choosing that men become "authors" to what God only provided as a possibility.
In it's most benign form, it is simply "error" & that is essential to learning.

That explains why He gave mankind represented by the Israelites, the 'law of salvation' that was impossible for any imperfect human to fulfill: So we would learn our inadequacy in living a fulfilling life without Him.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Adam had the opportunity to obey God's command. Rather, he chose to eat of the fruit which which was forbidden. If my wife gets drunk (which she doesn't btw), and wants me to join her in her drinking binge, I have the right and free-will to reject her offer and obey the Lord. And I will not support her decision to sin.

And yes, everyone with the temptation to sin is in a dilemma. We all have the temptation from which 'tree' to eat.
I think God's point in setting up circumstances to work out in this way is to show how we are all in life together & life will not work without forgiveness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey Rick,

I'm just working through this, and need to ask... Is the possibility of evil evil? Or, is the possibility of it the creation of it?

Again, just wondering what you think.
Yeah, thanks. I was just checking the thread before I commented on your last post, to see if you had anything to say about Isaiah 45:7.

When you ask if an action is evil (creating evil as a possible choice in this case), you have to consider motive. If we start from the definitive assumption that God is good & that as written, 'all things work for the good of those who love Him', then we have to assume that Him creating evil is a good thing.

That is kind of a harsh view to be left with in some ways (considering our self - doubts about our loving Him), but when we get to the place where we can ask why isn't this a nerf world where no harm comes to anyone & everything is pleasant, we might draw some insight into the answer to that from
Romans 9:22: What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: 23: And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

& thank everyone on this thread for your interest. This is a core issue for me. Just sharing the concern is blessing, even if we disagree some.

Upvote 0