United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Galatians 6:
2 Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

What is the law of Christ?

It's also known in Scripture as:
  1. God's Law
  2. The 10 Commandments
  3. The Royal Law
  4. The Law of Liberty
  5. The Law of Love
  6. The Law of the Covenant
And probably various other terms that aren't coming to mind.

It's summarized as love for God and neighbor. It expresses itself in every single individual command found in the OT and NT.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Galatians 6:
2 Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

• Informative
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Edmond Smith

Jan 5, 2016
United States
✟14,316.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Mt 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mt 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mt 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mt 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 6:

The law of Christ is no different from the law of God. The moral law that God gave has its root and foundation in the principle of love. Love is the fulfilling of the law. Bearing each other's burdens is an example of love and thus fulfills the law. So all the commandments of God are summed up in love. Even in the old testament the command to love God and love your neighbour was given and in the NT the command from the OT was simply quoted. So the law of Christ is really nothing new.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it can mean deeper than written law. There are laws of nature . . . of how things work. Words may describe these laws, but the actual laws are not in words but of action. I consider that the law of Christ can mean how we become and live and share because of God's love effecting our nature and behavior.

Jesus bore burdens of all of us, because of how Jesus is; so words are not necessary in order for Jesus to be and to love the way He does; and Jesus in us, by nature, has us becoming bearing of one another burdens. This is a law of how we become and love, as Jesus grows in us.

But, yes, the written law of Christ would include, I think, that Jesus commands that we love one another as He has loved us.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mt 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mt 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mt 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mt 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Nearly everyone I know kind of likes this commandment but thinks that is is only one piece of the ginormous Christian religion puzzle. They cannot see how doing this could possibly be the crux of the meaning of life.
One of the main reasons is the teaching that Christians are the loved, chosen, holy people and that everyone else is trash because they will be thrown into the eternal boiling pot of sulfur soup.

If we think that our enemies are going to be tortured forever because they would not join our group then how is it possible to really love them? The church teaches that "loving" them means presenting our version of religion and offering them a chance to stop being who they are and be like God (meaning us). If we think of anyone as common or unclean (read Acts 10:28) then we simply cannot truly love them.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Various New Testament scriptures state that Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament Law, bringing it to completion and conclusion (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15). In place of the Old Testament Law, Christians are to obey the law of Christ. Rather than trying to remember the over 600 individual commandments in the Old Testament Law, Christians are simply to focus on loving God and loving others. If Christians would truly and wholeheartedly obey those two commands, we would be fulfilling everything that God requires of us.
-----gotquestions.org

• Agree
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Galatians 6:

Jesus taught obedience to the Mosaic Law both by word and by sinless example, so I see no grounds to think that the Law of Christ is anything others that the way that he taught to obey the Mosaic Law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Various New Testament scriptures state that Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament Law, bringing it to completion and conclusion (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15). In place of the Old Testament Law, Christians are to obey the law of Christ. Rather than trying to remember the over 600 individual commandments in the Old Testament Law, Christians are simply to focus on loving God and loving others. If Christians would truly and wholeheartedly obey those two commands, we would be fulfilling everything that God requires of us.
-----gotquestions.org

So when we bear one another's burdens and fulfill the Law of Christ, does that mean that we are bringing it to completion and conclusion? Or when Romans 15:18-19 says that Paul fulfilled the Gospel, does that mean that Paul brought the Gospel to completion and conclusion?

Jesus summarized the Mosaic Law as being instructions for how to love God and our neighbor, so the other laws are examples or the explanation for how to obey the greatest two commands. In other words, obedience to all of the other commands it what it looks like to correctly focus on obeying those two commands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dougangel

Regular
Site Supporter
May 7, 2012
New Zealand
✟85,556.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So when we bear one another's burdens and fulfill the Law of Christ, does that mean that we are bringing it to completion and conclusion? Or when Romans 15:18-19 says that Paul fulfilled the Gospel, does that mean that Paul brought the Gospel to completion and conclusion?

Jesus summarized the Mosaic Law as being instructions for how to love God and our neighbor, so the other laws are examples or the explanation for how to obey the greatest two commands. In other words, obedience to all of the other commands it what it looks like to correctly focus on obeying those two commands.

Christ repeated or re iterated some laws and principles in the OT But now after the cross we approach the law from what Christ taught.
Jewish law Just isn't the same as christian law. Christian law is amended Jewish law.

Upvote 0

dougangel

Regular
Site Supporter
May 7, 2012
New Zealand
✟85,556.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

This is true but there are over 300 pages in the New Testament explaining what the rules of love are.

Upvote 0

dougangel

Regular
Site Supporter
May 7, 2012
New Zealand
✟85,556.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

WOW Rom 15: 18-19 Just is not saying that.

19 Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

From Jerusalem to Illyricum Paul has totally preached the gospel of CHrist

Upvote 0

dougangel

Regular
Site Supporter
May 7, 2012
New Zealand
✟85,556.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Galatians 6:

fulfil
fʊlˈfɪl/
verb
verb: fulfill
  1. 1.
    achieve or realize (something desired, promised, or predicted).
    "he wouldn't be able to fulfil his ambition to visit Naples"
    synonyms: succeed in, attain, realize, consummate, satisfy, manage, bring off, bring about, carry off, carry out, carry through, bring to fruition, deliver; More
  2. 2.
    carry out (a duty or role) as required, promised, or expected.
    "some officials were dismissed because they could not fulfil their duties"
    synonyms: carry out, accomplish, achieve, execute, perform, discharge, implement, effect, effectuate, conduct; More
Fulfil is quite complicated word. Here it is being used in its 2 meaning to be "carried out"
In Galatians there's are lots of instruction on the law of Christ.
heres another way of explaining verse 6:2
carrying each others burdens is a way of many of how to carry out (fulfill) the law of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ repeated or re iterated some laws and principles in the OT But now after the cross we approach the law from what Christ taught.
Jewish law Just isn't the same as christian law. Christian law is amended Jewish law.

There is nothing such as Jewish law really. There were laws written directly by God and laws written by Moses under the instruction of God. We understand that because of the death of christ on the cross that some of the laws no longer apply simple because they were a part of a system that was put in place temporarily through which men had to go through in order to be justified and forgiven from their sins. Once Jesus died then there was no need for this system any more and thus, all the laws that were put in place because of this system automatically became irrelevant. These laws also were not relevant to love. A law which states on which day of the month you would have a particular feast and what had to be brought for a meat offering is not a law of love.

So no law that was relevant to love in the Old Testament has been removed or replaced in the NT. If anything there were only enhanced by Jesus.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the teaching that Christians are the loved, chosen, holy people and that everyone else is trash because they will be thrown into the eternal boiling pot of sulfur soup.
Our Apostle Paul says there is "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2). This is what needs to go to the flaming sewer which burns with fire and brimstone. Therefore we are told to put away the things of Satan and his evil spirit >

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice." (Ephesians 4:31)

Because these toxic things will be cleared to the flaming sewer which burns with fire and brimstone. So, it is not wise to hold on to these things and go with them!! Where is that stubbornness going for eternity? Don't go with it! Get rid of it! And learn how to love >

"with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

"And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:32)

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

If we think that our enemies are going to be tortured forever because they would not join our group then how is it possible to really love them?
The above scriptures show that we are calling people not only to join us, but to join Jesus in how Jesus loves.

"So, what if I don't get rid of my bitterness and unforgiveness and stubbornness and lusts? You're saying I will go to the flaming sewer?"

Why even consider what will happen if we don't do what God wants?? Trust God to make us loving the way He wants.

Plus, by the way . . . yes we do care for our enemies. Jesus on the cross prayed forgiveness out to His enemies, right while they were still busy with hating and cursing and torturing and murdering Jesus who is God's own Son >

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do." (in Luke 23:34)

So, yes Jesus cares for His enemies. And 1 Peter 3:1-4 shows how wives are able to win husbands who do not obey God. And I think this is how we can reach to anyone . . . by our example, while we are being pleasing to our Father in His love's "incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (in 1 Peter 3:4)

As much as we now are experiencing lusts and frustration and stress and unforgiveness, we already are getting a sample of what will be in hell. And Jesus cares about us; so Jesus who knows about hell considered it worthwhile to suffer like He did, on Calvary's cross, so we don't go there. And so, part of fulfilling the law of Christ is how we love enemies the way Jesus loved us while we were His enemies.

"For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life." (Romans 5:10)

Included in the law of Christ is how His life of His love in us makes us alive in caring and being "tenderhearted" (Ephesians 4:32) with one another, and having hope for any enemy > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7). These are things which come to me while I am having problems with wrong and nasty and evil people, including ones in the news and politics and my paranoid imagination. While I may get busy with criticizing and looking down on certain people, it comes to me how God desires for me myself to get real in His love.

"For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again." (2 Corinthians 5:14-15)

So, part of the law of Christ, I consider, is how His love changes us to become caring about wrong people, and have compassion on them.

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

Reactions: mreeed
Upvote 0

dougangel

Regular
Site Supporter
May 7, 2012
New Zealand
✟85,556.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing such as Jewish law really. There were laws written directly by God and laws written by Moses under the instruction of God. We understand that because of the death of christ on the cross that some of the laws no longer apply simple because they were a part of a system that was put in place temporarily through which men had to go through in order to be justified and forgiven from their sins. Once Jesus died then there was no need for this system any more and thus, all the laws that were put in place because of this system automatically became irrelevant. These laws also were not relevant to love. A law which states on which day of the month you would have a particular feast and what had to be brought for a meat offering is not a law of love.

So no law that was relevant to love in the Old Testament has been removed or replaced in the NT. If anything there were only enhanced by Jesus.

Halakha (/hɑːˈlɔːxə/; Hebrew: הֲלָכָה‎, Sephardic: [halaˈχa]; also transliterated as halacha, halakhah, halachah or halocho) (Ashkenazic: [haˈloχo]) is the collective body of Jewish religious laws derived from the Written and Oral Torah.

WOW There are people who are still trying to obey Jewish law in the world.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My reading of the NT is that The law of Christ is a distinct reference to love and nothing else. It is implied by quite a number of verses, although none of them say it plainly. I think one place it is implied multiple times is in 1 John.

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My reading of the NT is that The law of Christ is a distinct reference to love and nothing else.

This is true.

But the problem with this is that the singular word "love" can be a rather nebulous concept. It needs definition. What does it mean to love God and neighbor?

Thankfully we have the whole Law of God as it is revealed in the OT and NT to give very precise definition to "love". Whenever we violate God's Law we are also violating the command to love.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0