Status
Not open for further replies.

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Helaman said:
And without this authority, any ordinances performed (e.g., baptisms), are without recognition by the Lord. These sacred ordinances (baptism, temple endowment, etc.) are REQUIRED for the atonment of Jesus Christ to fully cleanse our souls and prepare us to live again with Him in Heaven.
Hi there!

:wave:

And... are you discrediting the "priesthood" of believers?

are you discrediting "my" believer's baptism?

are you saying that the Lord God Almighty rejected my baptism?

on what authority?

~serapha~

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think you are quite getting it. The fulness of the gospel was given to Adam and Eve, with the promise of a Messiah to bring all mankind back to God. As with all civilizations, there were times of obedience, where they flourished and times of disobedience when they were either destroyed or taken over and the fullness was lost or distorted. The gospel in its fullness was carried over through Noah, and continued through the line of Abraham until Israel was entered Egypt. Over the time they were there, they lost the fulness of the Gospel. However, this does not mean that the fulness was not still on the earth since other righteous descendants of Abraham held kept the fulness complete. But Israel lost this fulness. Moses led them out of Egypt, and tried to restore the fulness back, but Israel was not mature enough to live by it. So after Moses detroyed the first tablets he had been given, He made other tablets and the Lord gave them the lower basic principles to live by, known as the 10 commandments. We don't have the records of the othe descendants who were righteous and not part of the house of Israel and what became of them. We do know that Jethro, Moses's father in Law gave him the Higher authority. Jethro was a Midinaite a descendant of Abraham.

Anyway this lower law continued with Israel who kept their records and histroy of their people. And we saw Israel when they were obedient be very strong and successful, and then becoming wicked and being carried away captive. The Messiah came down through the line of Judah, who was the law given. So because of his lineage, Christ rightfully was a law giver. Since The old law of Moses which was only to be a prepartory law. This lower law which Paul continually in his letters teaches that if one accepts the restored gosple that Christ brought, then those who are bound by tradition by the lower laws are as filthy rags compared with the higher laws Christ brought. The lower laws could never bring us to perfection. They were obeyed by tradition and had little to do with faith. Christ brought the laws which we have to live by faith. Example, the old law states thou shalt not commit adultery. If one disobeyed this law, and they were caught, were stoned to death. Where as Christ taught that if one commits adultery in their heart has already commited the sin. And being stoned to death is not an automatic punishment, as when Christ showed the woman who was taken in adultery.

At the time of Christ, even the lower laws Jews were following was in apostacy. So Christ came to fulfill the law, and bring it back to what on the earth during different times of biblical history.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Serapha said:
Hi there!

:wave:

And... are you discrediting the "priesthood" of believers?

are you discrediting "my" believer's baptism?

are you saying that the Lord God Almighty rejected my baptism?

on what authority?

~serapha~

Where did this authority come from? Why did Christ go to John the Baptist?

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
fatboys said:
Anyway this lower law continued with Israel who kept their records and histroy of their people. And we saw Israel when they were obedient be very strong and successful, and then becoming wicked and being carried away captive. The Messiah came down through the line of Judah, who was the law given. So because of his lineage, Christ rightfully was a law giver. Since The old law of Moses which was only to be a prepartory law. This lower law which Paul continually in his letters teaches that if one accepts the restored gosple that Christ brought, then those who are bound by tradition by the lower laws are as filthy rags compared with the higher laws Christ brought. The lower laws could never bring us to perfection. They were obeyed by tradition and had little to do with faith. Christ brought the laws which we have to live by faith. Example, the old law states thou shalt not commit adultery. If one disobeyed this law, and they were caught, were stoned to death. Where as Christ taught that if one commits adultery in their heart has already commited the sin. And being stoned to death is not an automatic punishment, as when Christ showed the woman who was taken in adultery.

At the time of Christ, even the lower laws Jews were following was in apostacy. So Christ came to fulfill the law, and bring it back to what on the earth during different times of biblical history.
Fatboys,

You wrote that "the lower laws could never bring us to perfection." Do you believe that these so called "higher laws" brought men to perfection? You also wrote that those bound by tradition by the lower laws are as filthy rags. I assume that you meant that their righteousness was as filthy rags. Do you believe that there were men who were able to follow these "higher laws," and did they attain a righteousness that was acceptable in God's eyes?

Could you clarify exactly what you mean by the term "higher laws?"

Upvote 0

Doc T

Senior Veteran
Oct 28, 2003
✟5,246.00
Faith
Mormon
skylark1 said:
Fatboys,

You wrote that "the lower laws could never bring us to perfection." Do you believe that these so called "higher laws" brought men to perfection? You also wrote that those bound by tradition by the lower laws are as filthy rags. I assume that you meant that their righteousness was as filthy rags. Do you believe that there were men who were able to follow these "higher laws," and did they attain a righteousness that was acceptable in God's eyes?

Could you clarify exactly what you mean by the term "higher laws?"

Since you asked for anyone LDS to reply, then I qualify :D: I think that by "lower laws" Fatboys is referring to the "Law of Moses" and by the "higher laws" he is referring to "Laws of Christ" or the "gospel of Christ". For example Christ said, (paraphrasing here) You have heard it said, Thou shalt not commit adultry, (law of Moses) but I say unto you, he that looketh upon a woman and lusteth after her has commited adultry in his heart. (The higher law of the gospel).

Hope that helps.

Doc

~

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
Doc T said:
Since you asked for anyone LDS to reply, then I qualify :D: I think that by "lower laws" Fatboys is referring to the "Law of Moses" and by the "higher laws" he is referring to "Laws of Christ" or the "gospel of Christ". For example Christ said, (paraphrasing here) You have heard it said, Thou shalt not commit adultry, (law of Moses) but I say unto you, he that looketh upon a woman and lusteth after her has commited adultry in his heart. (The higher law of the gospel).
Yes Doc, you qualify as "anyone LDS."

Fatboys wrote that Jesus restored the "higher law." He wrote that Jesus came to "bring it back to what on the earth during different times of biblical history." He also wrote that this higher law was given to Adam, carried over through Noah, and continued through the line of Abraham. He wrote that those who are bound to the "lower laws" [righteousness] are as filthy rags. I wanted to know if LDS believe that men were able to attain a righteousness that was acceptable to God by following the "higher laws."

Upvote 0

Doc T

Senior Veteran
Oct 28, 2003
✟5,246.00
Faith
Mormon
skylark1 said:
Yes Doc, you qualify as "anyone LDS."

Fatboys wrote that Jesus restored the "higher law." He wrote that Jesus came to "bring it back to what on the earth during different times of biblical history." He also wrote that this higher law was given to Adam, carried over through Noah, and continued through the line of Abraham. He wrote that those who are bound to the "lower laws" [righteousness] are as filthy rags. I wanted to know if LDS believe that men were able to attain a righteousness that was acceptable to God by following the "higher laws."

Only because of and through the atonement of Christ.

Doc

~

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.