Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I'm pretty impressed so far with the answers given in this thread.
Well, it's a good thread, so it'll receive good responses. :)

Seems that there are a few common themes among different religions. I must admit that I'm not so sure I would have the same attitude of wanting to make a difference here on earth and contributing to the welfare of other people. It sounds great and all, but I think apart from Christ I would probably be a nihilist and the thought of there being no life after this one would be fairly discouraging to me. My attitude might be to just live it up here on earth and do whatever I want to do because once it's over it's over. Not really sure though. Of course I see God in all of creation so maybe if I weren't a Christian I would be drawn to a religion that was focused on our creation.
In my view, doing good without expectation of reward is what makes it encouraging and inspiring.

I have a fairly dismal view of life, but this sort of philosophy of focusing on improving the world in some small way has been a partial solution to that, so for me it's kind of the other way around from what you describe.

I'm always interested in Christians (or any theists) that say that without their god, they'd do whatever they want to do in this life. It seems to be a pretty common statement, but I'm confused at how someone's level of compassion or selflessness would change so drastically if their own reward were removed.

I was thinking about this some more and I realized that these goals (minus the protection of life) are completely different from the "goals" of Christianity. Christianity promotes humility, putting others before yourself, serving others, storing treasures in heaven and not on this earth, the last will be first, money is the root of all evil, etc.
I think it depends on context. Money is not the root of all evil. It's a tool that can be used by the just and the unjust alike. Wealth built by ethical means and used for good purposes is a noble pursuit.

In the Bible, Jesus even has a parable (Parable of the Talents, I believe) where he talks about the different servants being left with money and how some of them used it wisely to double it while the other one buried it and gave back the same amount. The parable has to do with a lot more than just money, but it is about responsibly managing what is yours to manage, which includes tangible assets. For others, Jesus says to sell everything. People have different strengths and different weaknesses.

-Lyn

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Money is not the root of all evil. It's a tool that can be used by the just and the unjust alike. Wealth built by ethical means and used for good purposes is a noble pursuit.

That's right. Well said.

However, the actual saying is "The love of money is the root of all evil". I don't quite agree with this, but that hinges to an extent on just what one means by "love". If it means excessive attachment that causes skewed priorities in life, then certainly this can be at least one cause of evil. (A great deal of evil comes from excessive attachment to people, to one's past, to an imagined future, and even to religions or ideas.)

Excessive attachment to anything can be a cause of evil. And so can insufficient desire!

To achieve good, we need to prioritize our values appropriately, and to pursue good values with appropriate earnestness.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Money is but a placeholder symbol for the exchange of goods, services, or power balances. I've read about a group of people who tried to live without money, relying solely on a direct exchange of goods and services. As their circle grew, they gradually reached a level of remoteness and anonymity that made it necessary for them to establish a system that would guarantee the exchange by evaluating the value of what was given in points - and thus, they had re-invented money without even realizing it.

I think greed can be a problem, and has rightly been regarded as a weakness throughout most of our collective history. Taking more than you need leaves an imbalance that may lead to very negative repercussions - kinda like depleting a well, believing that some other source of water will materialize somehow.

Personally, I don't hold people who quest for status symbols in very high regard. I think they are missing out in the department of more productive values, focusing on appearances and surfaces.

Upvote 0

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
South East London, England
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Hmm...I suppose my path's goals would be to get through this life while making a positive contribution to society and trying to minimize any damage.
I can agree with this... and also to let people know that paganism is nothing to be feared, though I can't see me directly achieving this personally... though hopefully by showing people through my actions what paganism is not they will be more informed, even subtly, and realise what is true and false regarding my path (in general terms, anyway).

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Alaikom As-Salam sis

To be honest, this is the first time I came across the term.

It's all Sunni scholars whom say this?

I could not say 'all'. Every time I've read a book or taken a class in Usool Al-Fiqh, it is always mentioned though, so it appears widely accepted.

Upvote 0

Witchy Bee

Alis volat propriis
Aug 15, 2009
Halfway to Hades
✟8,168.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is my goal to bring about the fall of the evil manipulators of Religion, bridge the gap of the abyss, filing it with light/truth on my way and then bring the whole world together as one.
How is that going to far? Can I help?

Upvote 0

Rationalt

Oct 18, 2009
✟3,858.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Here is the purposes according to Quran which in reality are related (and only happen together):

1) So humans rise for justice:...
57:9
He it is who sends down clear communications upon His servant, that he may bring you forth from utter darkness into light; and most surely Allah is Kind, Merciful.

6) To rule by what God has brought down, to rule by justice:

Justice for Allah is killing christians who worship jesus as God.

quran 9:29
YUSUFALI: Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-Tawba_29

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David69

Mar 16, 2010
UK
✟207.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
How is that going to far? Can I help?

It is going as planned and on time.

The Angel of Light is the Lord of communication! No big magicks or fancy tricks but pure communication. Prophecys have and are being fulfilled as we communicate.

The true Messiah is here on earth right now and at first Religion will see him as the Devil or some kind of beast. But what God would want humans to lie, manipulate, deceive, brainwash, rob and murder in his name???
Anyone that says "This is the truth, beleive, beleive, beleive!" Is the true evil!!!

you dont have to help but just act on the feelings within and listen to your heart and know what is right to you.

The true lord will allow you to see for yourself the truth.
within a few years from now my lambs will have there piniel stimulated by God himself allowing the world to realise the truth.

Since the books of lies, the evil manipulaters act out these lies because they are brainwashed by the true evil.

The shackles of manipulation will be smashed so that mankind can move forth.

Namaste

David69

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what is your goal? Where does the path of your religion lead you? Will you reach your goal here on this earth during your lifetime? Will you reach your goal in another life (reincarnation)? Will you reach your goal in an eternal life? For what purpose do you follow your chosen religion? What is your goal?

As usual, b&w sums it up nicely.

Isaiah 1
16 wash and make yourselves clean.
Take your evil deeds
out of my sight!
Stop doing wrong, 17 learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed.
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
plead the case of the widow.

Micah 6
8 He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

My goals are to show love, compassion, kindness and patience to all people, even those I don't particular like. I also try to speak out on issues I think are important like women's rights to birth the way they choose (homebirths, etc), caring for our planet, mental health, etc.

I believe my goals are mostly accomplished while I am here on this earth but I will leave a little bit of myself with those who live after me, especially my family. Reincarnation is a nice idea but it isn't likely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

RedRaven

As usual, b&w sums it up nicely.

My goals are to show love, compassion, kindness and patience to all people, even those I don't particular like. I also try to speak out on issues I think are important like women's rights to birth the way they choose (homebirths, etc), caring for our planet, mental health, etc.

I believe my goals are mostly accomplished while I am here on this earth but I will leave a little bit of myself with those who live after me, especially my family. Reincarnation is a nice idea but it isn't likely.

Wow.....this. Almost exactly. One of my top issues is woman being to birth the way they choose, add to that advocating breastfeeding, and changing the social stigmas attached to nursing in public :)

I also wholeheartedly agree with the second part of your post.

Reactions: xDenax
Upvote 0
R

RedRaven

There is no social stigma attached to nursing in public in my country, so it's never been an issue for me. Hearing about stuff like that makes me feel sad for people who live in the US.

I would love to see that here. The issues with nursing in the US make me sad. From "you can't do that in public" to "that baby has teeth, you can't still be nursing". There is an amazing amount of misinformation coming from the doctors and nurses who are trying to "help" in the hospital and the pediatricians who know that formula is just as good as breastmilk. Forget about mentioning extended nursing (beyond a year) or child led weaning.

Change is happening but it's slow. Woman are still being asked to leave restaurants and department stores for nursing their babies.

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
For myself as a Christian the goal is eternal salvation. The path that leads to eternal salvation starts here on earth and ends in heaven. The journey on that path is orchestrated by God to conform us into the image of His son Jesus. Paul describes this journey as a race and encourages believers to "run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

So what is your goal? Where does the path of your religion lead you? Will you reach your goal here on this earth during your lifetime? Will you reach your goal in another life (reincarnation)? Will you reach your goal in an eternal life? For what purpose do you follow your chosen religion? What is your goal?

The goal of my path is to help those who need it, heal those who are ailing, feed those who are hungry...live in a way that is healthy for both my family and the land entrusted to me.

The wiccan rede is as good as any for how paganism defines faith, love, harming none, celebrating the Sabbats, and living in love and kindess toward others:
Bide within the Law you must, in perfect Love and perfect Trust.
Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.

For tread the Circle thrice about to keep unwelcome spirits out.
To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be said in rhyme.

Light of eye and soft of touch, speak you little, listen much.
Honor the Old Ones in deed and name,
let love and light be our guides again.

Deosil go by the waxing moon, chanting out the joyful tune.
Widdershins go when the moon doth wane,
and the werewolf howls by the dread wolfsbane.

When the Lady's moon is new, kiss the hand to Her times two.
When the moon rides at Her peak then your heart's desire seek.

Heed the North winds mighty gale, lock the door and trim the sail.
When the Wind blows from the East, expect the new and set the feast.

When the wind comes from the South, love will kiss you on the mouth.
When the wind whispers from the West, all hearts will find peace and rest.

Nine woods in the Cauldron go, burn them fast and burn them slow.
Birch in the fire goes to represent what the Lady knows.

Oak in the forest towers with might, in the fire it brings the God's
insight. Rowan is a tree of power causing life and magick to flower.

Willows at the waterside stand ready to help us to the Summerland.
Hawthorn is burned to purify and to draw faerie to your eye.

Hazel-the tree of wisdom and learning adds its strength to the bright fire burning.
White are the flowers of Apple tree that brings us fruits of fertility.

Grapes grow upon the vine giving us both joy and wine.
Fir does mark the evergreen to represent immortality seen.

Elder is the Lady's tree burn it not or cursed you'll be.
Four times the Major Sabbats mark in the light and in the dark.

As the old year starts to wane the new begins, it's now Samhain.
When the time for Imbolc shows watch for flowers through the snows.

When the wheel begins to turn soon the Beltane fires will burn.
As the wheel turns to Lamas night power is brought to magick rite.

Four times the Minor Sabbats fall use the Sun to mark them all.
When the wheel has turned to Yule light the log the Horned One rules.

In the spring, when night equals day time for Ostara to come our way.
When the Sun has reached it's height time for Oak and Holly to fight.

Harvesting comes to one and all when the Autumn Equinox does fall.
Heed the flower, bush, and tree by the Lady blessed you'll be.

Where the rippling waters go cast a stone, the truth you'll know.
When you have and hold a need, harken not to others greed.

With a fool no season spend or be counted as his friend.
Merry Meet and Merry Part bright the cheeks and warm the heart.

Mind the Three-fold Laws you should three times bad and three times good.
When misfortune is enow wear the star upon your brow.

Be true in love this you must do unless your love is false to you.

These Eight words the Rede fulfill:

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

That pretty much covers the goal of my religion...

Upvote 0