What is the difference between being on welfare and being rich?

Aimee30

That's Me in the Corner
Oct 8, 2004
Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Welfare recepients live off the government.
The wealthy live off the toil and labor of others--especially the owners of large corporations (I meant the richest ones in the first place that seem to take adavntage of their employees).
Some welfare recipients work out ways to beat the system.
Some rich people work out ways to beat the system.
Some of the welfare recepients never worked a day of their life.
Some of the uber-rich never worked a ady of their life.
Some welfare recipients use their health as an excuse not to work.
Some of the rich use their health as an excuse to not do things.

I can keep going, but I just want examples of how they are different other than one has more class and can buy better things than the other What is the big difference between these two groups anyway?.

Jacob4Jesus

Dork For Jesus and Proud of It
Sep 18, 2003
Wauconda, IL
✟3,922.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's easy to draw comparisons between two of anything. It doesn't mean they're as related as you are suggesting.

for example: God and Devil

God is more powerful than humans
So is the devil
God rules a land where people go after they die
So does the devil
God is mentioned in the Bible
So is the devil.

But, that doesn't mean they are the same.

Reactions: Yusuf Evans
Upvote 0

Aimee30

That's Me in the Corner
Oct 8, 2004
Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not saying they are the same. I am saying, why do rich people think they're so much better than poor people. I get sick of people who have certain political views say that the poor are lazy they don't work for their money like those who have it do.

Upvote 0

Aimee30

That's Me in the Corner
Oct 8, 2004
Wisconsin
✟9,271.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am also just trying to say the reality of the matter, welfare receipients are receiving money from the government to live off of and some abuse it, I didn't say all did. However, what I am saying is that some of the rich, who seem to think they're so much better, have some traits in common with the people they accuse of being lazy.

Upvote 0

butterfoot

Formerly Known as cameronw
Dec 16, 2004
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jacob4Jesus said:
It's easy to draw comparisons between two of anything. It doesn't mean they're as related as you are suggesting.

for example: God and Devil

God is more powerful than humans
So is the devil
God rules a land where people go after they die
So does the devil
God is mentioned in the Bible
So is the devil.

But, that doesn't mean they are the same.

Wow nicely said.

But the OP over generalizes the rich. Did you know that most of those people who are truely rich worked hard most of their lives. They don't buy frivolous things like Multi-Million Dollar homes, they drive slightly used but nice cars, and shop at Wal-mart. So its all your point of view on who is Rich. Paris Hilton. She never worked a day in her life. She may have money but those who become rich from hard work earn it through their wages and smart use of Money. Did you know that most Rich People do not use credit.

-cw

Upvote 0

Mr. QWERTY

Jul 21, 2005
✟8,605.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Aimee30 said:
The wealthy live off the toil and labor of others--especially business owners.

Small and medium sized business owners put in a lot of work. And many risk all of their assets to be business owners. Running a business costs money. One way in which to get it is to borrow from the bank, and the bank wants your house as collateral.

Aimee30 said:
I can keep going, but I just want examples of how they are different other than one has more class and can buy better things than the other What is the big difference between these two groups anyway?.

Did I give you a big enough difference?

Upvote 0

christalee4

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
✟5,083.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In terms of psychological profiles, SOME of the rich and the poor people feel the same:

some of them feel that they are entitled to what they can get, and they resent other people from different classes. Some of them are clannish, some of them are lazy, and some of them just don't give a damn about others. The difference is, is that the poor people have to work their way out of the mire, and the rich, don't have to struggle at all. Even in cases in which there are reprehensible personalities and behavior amongst poor people, I still feel more sympathy for them, than I do for rich people. I have known both, within the various levels of good and bad behavior, and it's interesting that some of the "poor" rich people who are not of the highest character level still feel that they are somehow misunderstood or maligned, like victims. I can't sympathize with that, unless they have made a significant effort to understand and level with their fellow man, to the best of their abilities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

christalee4

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
✟5,083.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
cameronw said:
Wow nicely said.

But the OP over generalizes the rich. Did you know that most of those people who are truely rich worked hard most of their lives. They don't buy frivolous things like Multi-Million Dollar homes, they drive slightly used but nice cars, and shop at Wal-mart. So its all your point of view on who is Rich. Paris Hilton. She never worked a day in her life. She may have money but those who become rich from hard work earn it through their wages and smart use of Money. Did you know that most Rich People do not use credit.

-cw

Sorry, Cam, I think you overgeneralize about the truly wealthy too. In fact, most of the "truly" wealthy, not the ones who have worked for it, don't even know or care how rich they are for the most part, only in certain circumstances, like for example, marriage contracts.

Upvote 0

Danhalen

Healing
Feb 13, 2005
Ohio
✟18,099.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the OP is referring to the attitude of entitlement many people have in both classes. Yes, there are extremely rich people that have worked hard for their money. Yes, there are poor people that have never trie to make a better life for themselves. I think the OP is asking what truly makes the difference between a Paris Hilton and a baby machine cranking out paychecks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Danhalen

Healing
Feb 13, 2005
Ohio
✟18,099.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Aimee30 said:
Yes, and can anyone give the clue to that difference?
The only difference I can see is circumstance. Give a baby machine a billion dollars and they'll think they deserve it. Take Paris Hilton's money away and she'd start cranking out babies.

Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Aimee30 said:
The wealthy live off the toil and labor of others--especially the owners of large corporations (I meant the richest ones in the first place that seem to take adavntage of their employees).
Some welfare recipients work out ways to beat the system.
Some rich people work out ways to beat the system.
Some of the welfare recepients never worked a day of their life.
Some of the uber-rich never worked a ady of their life.
Some welfare recipients use their health as an excuse not to work.
Some of the rich use their health as an excuse to not do things.

Hmmm,where does one draw the wealth line.My wife and I were looking into this a while back.I cant say definately,but it looks like the average yearly income world wide is less than 1000.00 buckaroos.Where I live the median income for one household is 43,000.00,yearly.Shure the rich have charicter flaws just like every one else.I do believe it's impossible to get stinking rich,honestly.But arent even the poorest in this country rich by worldwide standards?They say that in my area a work for food sign will bring about 50.00 a day on average.I don't hold any grudges against the rich.I'm probably one of them in the eyes of God.

Upvote 0
I

Ioinc

christalee4 said:
Sorry, Cam, I think you overgeneralize about the truly wealthy too. In fact, most of the "truly" wealthy, not the ones who have worked for it, don't even know or care how rich they are for the most part, only in certain circumstances, like for example, marriage contracts.

how do you know what they really care about? How can you generalize like this?

If you won a powerball lottto of 500 million you would be one of the "truly" wealthy ones.... does that mean you would not really care about how much money you had? The only thing you would care about is a marriage contract?

Upvote 0