What is the difference between a rite/denomination?

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi there. I'm currently considering Christianity, and particularly Roman Catholicism. I just have a question that I thought would go here, as it deals with the Catholic Church specifically.

One site (cannot link, bing search "sola scriptura defended," it should be the first one) defended Sola Scriptura by saying that the Roman Catholic Church is already divided and cannot say that Sola Scriptura leads to divisions. I discovered recently that the numbers given by its source (Barrett study) are faulty, as the study assumes any difference in a country means a different denomination. This, as well as the horrible site graphics and design, makes me discredit the site.

However, the question remains: what is a rite and, more importantly, why is it not a denomination? I am sure there is a logical explanation, I just do not know it.

garysibio

Jun 8, 2011
✟16,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Chany,

The differences between the different rites in the Catholic Church is liturgical, not doctrinal. Denominations differ in doctrine. Regardless of which rite a Catholic belongs to, there are about 20 of them, they all accept the same teachings.

The differences become apparent when you go to Mass on Sunday. Each rite has their own liturgy. They may say the Mass in Aramaic, for example. The prayers, if translated, may be different. The rites also have their own code of Canon Law. This is why some of them allow married men to become priests.

The rites originated as Orthodox churches who split from Rome in 1054 returned to the fold. More recently new rites have been formed to accommodate Anglicans entering the Catholic Church. Their liturgies include a modified Book of Common prayer.

Upvote 0

Foundthelight

St. Peter's R.C. Church, Delhi, NY
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To put it simply a rite refers to the way the service is conducted. Whatever the rite, eastern or roman, all churches in communion with Rome have the same beliefs as set forth in the Catechism of The Catholic Church.

Protestant denominations have no such unity in belief.

Upvote 0

Maritimus

Dec 29, 2011
✟15,143.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Just to clarify to Chany, A priest can not marry in the neither the eastern nor western rites. They can only marry before becoming a priest. As far as I remember, no bishops within the Church can be married. In the Latin rite, the most famous one, their are permanent deacons that can be married, but even they cannot remarry upon the death of their wife. Also there are converts from the High Anglican and even Lutheran churches that are married and were allowed to become priests in the Latin Rite.

The celibate priest hood has just been a part of the church for a long time, and it does in practice allow a person to sacrifice more for the church than a married person can. It also must be understood that this is not a doctrine nor a dogma of the church, it is only a discipline. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

epiclesis

Legend
Sep 29, 2003
Oregon
✟52,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just to clarify to Chany, A priest can not marry in the neither the eastern nor western rites. They can only marry before becoming a priest. As far as I remember, no bishops within the Church can be married. In the Latin rite, the most famous one, their are permanent deacons that can be married, but even they cannot remarry upon the death of their wife. Also there are converts from the High Anglican and even Lutheran churches that are married and were allowed to become priests in the Latin Rite.

The celibate priest hood has just been a part of the church for a long time, and it does in practice allow a person to sacrifice more for the church than a married person can. It also must be understood that this is not a doctrine nor a dogma of the church, it is only a discipline. Hope that helps.

Are you sure you're atheist? ;) That was a spot on post!

Upvote 0

Maritimus

Dec 29, 2011
✟15,143.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes I am, I don't believe in a God, but I believe in helping any christian or anyone who believes in God to really consider the Catholic church on its true teachings not on misconceptions. For those who believe in God, I think the Catholic church is a beautiful and eloquent church, worthy of respect and consideration. I hope to be around here and if it's like my life, I will often offer an apology on the Churches behalf, for many a complex reason I cant stand to see Her attacked or misrepresented. :confused: I hope that you, the community and more importantly the mods ;) will not mind the support of an enemy.

PS I feel the same way about Eastern Orthodox but few ever ask about it or even know about it in the US. So often I point to across the Tiber and not over the mountain.:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
...more importantly, why is it not a denomination? I am sure there is a logical explanation, I just do not know it.
"Denomination" indicates a structure under a common authority. In the Catholic Church, all of the various Rites are united under the common authority of the Magesterium: the Bishop of Rome and the Bishops in union with him.

Upvote 0

Foundthelight

St. Peter's R.C. Church, Delhi, NY
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Denomination" indicates a structure under a common authority. In the Catholic Church, all of the various Rites are united under the common authority of the Magesterium: the Bishop of Rome and the Bishops in union with him.

"Denominations" rarely have a common authority. Most claim the Bible alone as their authority.

The Catholic Church is not a denomination. It is the only true church founded by Christ. I think it is safe to also include the Orthodox.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
"Denominations" rarely have a common authority. Most claim the Bible alone as their authority.

The Catholic Church is not a denomination. It is the only true church founded by Christ. I think it is safe to also include the Orthodox.
Actually, while I love our Eastern Orthodox brothers and sisters in Christ, and I know they have valid sacraments and apostolic succession, Jesus clearly chose Peter to tend to His flock. And the Catholic Church is the only church with Peter's successor. The ancient universal Church was known as the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Having a common authority is part of what it means to be a part of a denomination. And although the non-Catholic denominations claim to have the Bible as their authority, and I have no doubt that that's their intent, in truth it's not quite that simple.

If you find yourself in a community that teaches things you don't like, and then run off to start your own community so that you can be part of a group that teaches things you do like, then you have set yourself up as your own authority. "I follow the Bible alone" is merely a rationalization.

That's why the oft-quoted 30,000 denomination number is low. Ultimately, Protestantism is a collection of a large number of denominations, each having a membership of one individual.

The Catholic Church is not a denomination...
That statement is based on the false idea that denomination means "that which came out from the named" (or similar).

To denominate means "to give a name to something", and in this context a denomination is both that group which is given a common name because of that which they have in common, and the name of the group.

By definition the Catholic Church is a denomination: if it wasn't then it wouldn't have a name. To have been given a name is to have been denominated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums