What is the attraction to the monkey movies?

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟290,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We definitely need to repent. Sin is and always will be the greatest threat to human happiness and flourishment.

But the Earth is not the Garden - and one day the Lord will return and reign - then after a thousand years the Earth will be cleansed and celestialized and be our eternal abode.

The Earth is ours forever. No sin will change that. Nothing we could ever do will change that.
Yes, ours and the oceans polluted with plastic.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟368,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The carnal, fleshly, sinful world ..... not unusual.

God Permits it until it is His Determined Time to Come Save His People.
So you think there's more behind the monkey movies then entertainment?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟246,090.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm still confused as to the attraction? What is it with monkeys walking around and talking like they are people?

I don't even know if it is about the monkeys - it could be any animal - I think some people just don't like people and want us to be replaced.

First and foremost the films are entertainment. You don't need to look much further than that. I understand that most of the contributors to this thread are not entertained by them. That's fine. Let's celebrate the diversity of human interests.

Moreover, for the most part, they are not sophisticated entertainment. They fit in the adventure/action movie genre, with all the features associated with them. If you like that genre you may well like the movies. I said "for the most part", because the first Planet of the Apes movie did have a more serious message. If I recall correctly it was pointing out the problem of human arrogance and its consequences. (I would have thought that theme would have resonated with a Christian audience.) Sequels and remakes were a no-brainer approach to film investment - "if it made us money before, it can make us money again".

Now, a technical point: can we please stop confusing monkeys with apes. There are many differences between the two groups, but the most obvious to the layman - and it is almost universal - is that apes never have tails, whereas monkeys do. The Barbary Macaque is the exception of a tailless monkey.

Upvote 0

Zaha Torte

Jesus Christ is the Eternal God
May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟16,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married
First and foremost the films are entertainment. You don't need to look much further than that. I understand that most of the contributors to this thread are not entertained by them. That's fine. Let's celebrate the diversity of human interests.

Moreover, for the most part, they are not sophisticated entertainment. They fit in the adventure/action movie genre, with all the features associated with them. If you like that genre you may well like the movies. I said "for the most part", because the first Planet of the Apes movie did have a more serious message. If I recall correctly it was pointing out the problem of human arrogance and its consequences. (I would have thought that theme would have resonated with a Christian audience.) Sequels and remakes were a no-brainer approach to film investment - "if it made us money before, it can make us money again".

Now, a technical point: can we please stop confusing monkeys with apes. There are many differences between the two groups, but the most obvious to the layman - and it is almost universal - is that apes never have tails, whereas monkeys do. The Barbary Macaque is the exception of a tailless monkey.
All apes are monkeys just like how all dogs are puppies.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟246,090.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
All apes are monkeys just like how all dogs are puppies.
No. That analogy does not fit. Apes did not evolve from monkeys. Monkeys and apes evolved from a common ancestor that was neither ape or monkey. Anyway, my clarification on primate classification was a technical aside, not central to the topic of the OP.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zaha Torte

May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟16,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married
No. That analogy does not fit. Apes did not evolve from monkeys. Monkeys and apes evolved from a common ancestor that was neither ape or monkey. Anyway, my clarification on primate classification was a technical aside, not central to the topic of the OP.
It was meant to be a joke.

Upvote 0

Zaha Torte

May 6, 2024
Not Hispanic or Latino
✟16,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Latter-Day Saint
Marital Status
Married
That is the least accurate thing I've heard all day.

Edit: I've been Poed.
You mean besides the claim that these movies are entertaining.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟320,125.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You besides the claim that these movies are entertaining.
To be fair that's subjective. I also don't care for this films as I have an aversion to chimps but other people seem to like them.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,180,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I liked the first Planet Of The Apes movie. Never seen the others. But something about monkeys (yeah monkeys.. lol) riding horses is so cool.

Believe the first movie was originally supposed to be a Twilight Zone episode that was so good it was made into a feature length film.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums