N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have a hard time with understanding temptation.What is the difference between temptation and actually having something bad in your heart? For example, sometimes I am tempted to listen to secular music because some music reminds me of my childhood. If I think that way, but I do not act on it, is that bad or a sin. My example is based my beliefs, I am not trying to debate with anyone on that.

Last edited:

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have a hard time with understanding temptation.What is the difference between temptation and actually having something bad in your heart? For example, sometimes I am tempted to listen to secular music because some music reminds me of my childhood. If I think that way, but I do not act on it, is that bad or a sin?
How is listening to secular music sinful?

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How is listening to secular music sinful?
The church I go to, secular music is considered any song that idolizes or talks about sing.Songs that talk about lust, or partying and drinking and smoking, etc are what I consider secular.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The church I go to, secular music is considered any song that idolizes or talks about sing.Songs that talk about lust, or partying and drinking and smoking, etc are what I consider secular.
Wouldn't temptation be considered doing those things you mentioned?

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wouldn't temptation be considered doing those things you mentioned?
I would think listening to a song like that is temptation, and it can lead to sin.Which is why I choose to stay away from music like that. But I also am not too sure, which is why I posted this question lol.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have a hard time with understanding temptation.What is the difference between temptation and actually having something bad in your heart? For example, sometimes I am tempted to listen to secular music because some music reminds me of my childhood. If I think that way, but I do not act on it, is that bad or a sin?

I can't say that I share your views on secular music. But moving along.

Temptation is, quite simply, something that tempts. But it is a thing that entices us to sin. Secular music may, and in fact I believe it does, entice many people to sin by creating the idea that "everybody's doing it so you should too". Personally I'm long since being influenced by things like that.

Temptation for many might be the sight of a car with its windows down that entices them to steal. Someone dressed in a provocative manner may entice another to immorality. Anger is a form of temptation in that it entices harm, or at worst, murder. But I think James summed it up best:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Jas 1:14 - But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.

Almost in sum, the new testament teaches that we should purge ourselves of enticing thoughts so that we are not led to act wrongly. "Cleanse the inside of the cup..." means that if you rid yourself of bad thoughts you will naturally rid yourself of bad acts.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Temptation is not always easy to resist. Seriously I have struggled with sinful temptations in the past few years. I have been debating whether or not I should leave the church or not. Exercise helps. So does meditation and practicing self control too. Take a deep breath and clear your mind. Write down your bad thoughts in a burn letter then burn it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Temptation, if followed, leads you to sin. But, the being tempted doesn't mean you have sinned.

It is one thing to see a woman bathing on a roof naked (*cough* David), it is another to lust after her in your heart. The temptation is intending to entice you to sin, but you are able to avoid it.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Temptation, if followed, leads you to sin. But, the being tempted doesn't mean you have sinned.

It is one thing to see a woman bathing on a roof naked (*cough* David), it is another to lust after her in your heart. The temptation is intending to entice you to sin, but you are able to avoid it.
Thanks for breaking it down, that gives me insight.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can't say that I share your views on secular music. But moving along.

Temptation is, quite simply, something that tempts. But it is a thing that entices us to sin. Secular music may, and in fact I believe it does, entice many people to sin by creating the idea that "everybody's doing it so you should too". Personally I'm long since being influenced by things like that.

Temptation for many might be the sight of a car with its windows down that entices them to steal. Someone dressed in a provocative manner may entice another to immorality. Anger is a form of temptation in that it entices harm, or at worst, murder. But I think James summed it up best:

copyChkboxOff.gif
Jas 1:14 - But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.

Almost in sum, the new testament teaches that we should purge ourselves of enticing thoughts so that we are not led to act wrongly. "Cleanse the inside of the cup..." means that if you rid yourself of bad thoughts you will naturally rid yourself of bad acts.
Thanks for your answer

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Temptation is not always easy to resist. Seriously I have struggled with sinful temptations in the past few years. I have been debating whether or not I should leave the church or not. Exercise helps. So does meditation and practicing self control too. Take a deep breath and clear your mind. Write down your bad thoughts in a burn letter then burn it.
Yeah its not easy, I try to read my bible so I can gain more insight about things I am confused about, but sometimes I feel like I will not get it right at all.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a hard time with understanding temptation.What is the difference between temptation and actually having something bad in your heart? For example, sometimes I am tempted to listen to secular music because some music reminds me of my childhood. If I think that way, but I do not act on it, is that bad or a sin. My example is based my beliefs, I am not trying to debate with anyone on that.
The object of temptation (by the devil or our old nature) is to draw us away from our devotion to God.
We resist that as we are built up by the Word of His grace and Spirit. Satan knows if he can draw our heart away, the rest is easy pickins.

James 1:13-15 KJV
[13] Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: [14] But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. [15] Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Genesis 3:6 KJV
[6] And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

1 John 2:16-17 KJV
[16] For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. [17] And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

• Winner
Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Consider that Jesus was tempted after 40 days in the wilderness...

So the temptation isn't sinful in and of itself... but it can easily morph into sin, so in general, we are to flee from it.

Music wise... I've seen folks new in Christ dispose of secular albums, then cassettes, and CD"s, as they felt it was too much of a temptation. I think such is a normal and prudent part of protecting oneself early on. At some point later in life, that may change to where in the potential for sin/temptation goes away, and one can embrace the positive memories of times with ones friends in ones youth through the same music. (This can take decades)

And this is why there isn't truly a "right" or absolute answer as it depends upon the person, where they are in their walk, and their stage of life. (I'm somewhat connected to some dudes huge in the 70's rock scene... and its really cool to see the healing and joy in their lives as they play those old tunes today (which as new Christian's in the 80s would have been far from a prudent idea, despite them trying to restore relationships that drugs and alcohol had screwed up some years prior)_

Upvote 0