WHAT IS SIN ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES?

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi All, this should be very simple.

Hamartiology is the study of sin. However, no one can study what sin is from the bible without first defining what sin is from the scriptures. So before we can study about sin we must make sure we understand how the bible defines what sin is. So how does the bible or the scriptures define sin?

According to the scriptures, sin is defined in the scriptures as breaking anyone of Gods' laws including Gods' 10 commandments and unbelief that is not believing and following what Gods' Word says when God gives us a knowledge of the truth from the scriptures. Let's look at how the scriptures define what sin is so that we can correctly divide the word of truth and let the bible interpret the bible or Gods' Word interpret itself so we do not have a misunderstanding as to what sin is in Gods' eyes.

1. Sin is defined in the scriptures as breaking God's law...
  • 1 John 3:4 [4], Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
From the scriptures: Sin is the transgression of the law

2. All unbelief or not believing and following what Gods' Word says is sin
  • Romans 14:23 ... whatsoever is not of faith is sin
  • Romans 6:23 the wages of sin is death..
  • John 3:36, He that believes on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God stays on him.
  • Hebrews 3: 17-19 [17], But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcasses fell in the wilderness? [18], And to whom swore he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? [19], So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
From the scriptures: Unbelief in Gods' Word is sin

3. Breaking anyone of Gods 10 commandments is transgressing the law which is sin
  • James 2:10-11 [10], For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. [11], For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if you commit no adultery, yet if you kill, you are become a transgressor of the law.
From the scriptures: Breaking anyone of God's 10 commandments we transgress the law
4. God's 10 commandments give us a knowledge of what sin is when we break them
  • Romans 7:7, What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. No, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, thou shalt not covet.
  • Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
From the scriptures: Gods 10 commandment give us a knowledge of what sin is when broken

5. God's commandment gives us a knowledge of right doing when they are obeyed
  • Psalms 119:172, My tongue shall speak of your word: for all your commandments are righteousness.
From the scriptures: All of God's commandments are the definition of right doing or righteousness

6. When are we held accountable to God for sin defined as breaking God's law and unbelief?
  • James 4:17 ... to him that knows to do good, and does it not, to him it is sin.
  • Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31 [30], And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commands all men every where to repent: [31], Because he has appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he has ordained; whereof he has given assurance to all men, in that he has raised him from the dead.
  • Hebrews 10:26-27 [26], For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, [27], But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
From the scriptures: We are only held accountable for sin when God gives us a knowledge of the truth of His Word and we choose to reject it.

From the scriptures provided above we can see that sin is defined in the scriptures as breaking anyone of God's 10 commandments and his laws and not believing and following His Word once God gives us a knowledge of the truth from the scriptures.

NOTE: This is not a Sabbath and law discussion thread. If you want to discuss this topic you can go to the Sabbath and law forum. This OP of discussion is over the question "What is the bibles definition of sin?"

May God bless you as you seek Him through His Word

Last edited:

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi All, this should be very simple.

Hamartiology is the study of sin. However, no one can study what sin is from the bible without first defining what sin is from the scriptures. So before we can study about sin we must make sure we understand how the bible defines what sin is. So how does the bible or the scriptures define sin?

According to the scriptures, sin is defined in the scriptures as breaking anyone of Gods' laws including Gods' 10 commandments and unbelief that is not believing and following what Gods' Word says when God gives us a knowledge of the truth from the scriptures. Let's look at how the scriptures define what sin is so that we can correctly divide the word of truth and let the bible interpret the bible or Gods' Word interpret itself so we co not have a misunderstanding as to what sin is in Gods' eyes.

Sin is defined in the scriptures as breaking God's law
  • 1 John 3:4 [4], Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
Breaking anyone of Gods 10 commandments is transgressing the law which is sin
  • James 2:10-11 [10], For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. [11], For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if you commit no adultery, yet if you kill, you are become a transgressor of the law.
God's 10 commandments give us a knowledge of what sin is when we break them
  • Romans 7:7, What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. No, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, thou shalt not covet.
  • Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
God commandment gives us a knowledge of right doing when they are obeyed
  • Psalms 119:172, My tongue shall speak of your word: for all your commandments are righteousness.
All unbelief or not believing and following what Gods' Word says is sin
  • Romans 14:23 ... whatsoever is not of faith is sin
  • Romans 6:23 the wages of sin is death...
  • John 3:36, He that believes on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God stays on him.
  • Hebrews 3: 17-19 [17], But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcasses fell in the wilderness? [18], And to whom swore he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? [19], So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
When are we held accountable to God for sin defined as breaking God's law and unbelief?
  • James 4:17 ... to him that knows to do good, and does it not, to him it is sin.
  • Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31 [30], And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commands all men every where to repent: [31], Because he has appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he has ordained; whereof he has given assurance to all men, in that he has raised him from the dead.
  • Hebrews 10:26-27 [26], For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins, [27], But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

From the scriptures provided above we can see that sin is defined in the scriptures as breaking anyone of God's 10 commandments and his laws and not believing and following His Word once God gives us a knowledge of the truth from the scriptures.

NOTE: This is not a Sabbath and law discussion thread. If you want to discuss this topic you can go to the Sabbath and law forum. This OP of discussion is over the question "What is the bibles definition of sin?"

May God bless you as you seek Him through His Word
Your right. If one lives by the law then there are approximately 613 of them in the Torah. But since we are no longer under the written laws in the Torah sins are now revealed directly through the regenerated circumcised heart.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most basic definition of sin: Anything harming yourself and others (Matt. 22:34-40, Rom. 13:8-10).

On April 28, 2022, at roughly 7:45 PM Eastern Time, I've added much needed Scripture to back this up. My deepest apologies, I'm a fallible human being who's predisposed towards selfishness.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your right. If one lives by the law then there are approximately 613 of them in the Torah. But since we are no longer under the written laws in the Torah sins are now revealed directly through the regenerated circumcised heart.
Blessings.
Not really. The majority of the 613 laws of Moses are from the book of the covenant (Exodus 24:7) which are shadow laws for remission of sin fulfilled in Christ (e.g. Sanctuary laws, Laws of the Levitical Priesthood, the laws for animal sacrifices and sin offerings for blood atonement for sin, circumcision, Feast days, etc, etc) where as Gods eternal moral laws written with the finger of God on two tables of stone give us the knowledge of what sin is in the new covenant (see Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4 and James 2:10-11). According to Paul no one is circumcised in heart by breaking God's commandments (see 1 Corinthians 7:19). Your mixing up God's eternal laws that give us the knowledge of good (moral right doing) and evil (moral wrong doing); sin (moral wrong doing) and righteousness (moral right doing) with the shadows of things to come. What is it from the scriptures provided in the OP that you disagree with in regards to God's definition of what sin is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,292.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Romans 13:9

The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

1 John 4:16-18

And we have come to know and believe the love that God has for us. God is love; whoever abides in love abides in God, and God in him. In this way, love has been perfected among us, so that we may have confidence on the day of judgment; for in this world we are just like Him. There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. The one who fears has not been perfected in love

So anything not "of love" is also sin.

In that it misses the mark.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why are we avoiding the definition? Are we afraid of it?

James 4:17

So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

John 15:22
If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have been guilty of sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.

2 Peter 2:21
For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them.

John 13:17
If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Blessings.

Hi Maria Billingsley,

I'd be interested in hearing more, especially in relation to how the Bible supports this belief.

God bless!

But for the grace of God go I,cyspark

Upvote 0

NPY

Oct 1, 2022
Christchurch
✟8,294.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sin isn't defined by behaviour - it's defined by relationship. Sin defined by behaviour can change from culture to culture - what is wrong in one may be right in another. Defining sin by relationship means that our relationship with the Lord Jesus has broken down at a particular point, and that aberrant behaviour is a result of that breakdown.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Maria Billingsley,

I'd be interested in hearing more, especially in relation to how the Bible supports this belief.

God bless!

Sure!
Romans 2:25-29
25 For circumcision benefits you if you observe the law, but if you are a lawbreaker, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. 26 Therefore if an uncircumcised man keeps the law’s requirements, will his uncircumcision not be counted as circumcision? 27 A man who is physically uncircumcised, but who fulfills the law, will judge you who are a lawbreaker in spite of having the letter of the law and circumcision. 28 For a person is not a Jew who is one outwardly, and true circumcision is not something visible in the flesh. 29 On the contrary, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is of the heart—by the Spirit, not the letter. That man’s praise is not from men but from God.

Upvote 0

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sure!
Romans 2:25-29
25 For circumcision benefits you if you observe the law, but if you are a lawbreaker, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. 26 Therefore if an uncircumcised man keeps the law’s requirements, will his uncircumcision not be counted as circumcision? 27 A man who is physically uncircumcised, but who fulfills the law, will judge you who are a lawbreaker in spite of having the letter of the law and circumcision. 28 For a person is not a Jew who is one outwardly, and true circumcision is not something visible in the flesh. 29 On the contrary, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is of the heart—by the Spirit, not the letter. That man’s praise is not from men but from God.

Hi Maria Billingsley,

Previously you claimed, "sins are now revealed directly through the regenerated circumcised heart." I could be wrong but the above passage doesn't appear to be dealing specifically with sin. It's certainly not supplying a new definition of sin.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Maria Billingsley,

Previously you claimed, "sins are now revealed directly through the regenerated circumcised heart." I could be wrong but the above passage doesn't appear to be dealing specifically with sin. It's certainly not supplying a new definition of sin.

God bless.

Is not breaking the law a sin ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Icyspark

Oct 2, 2020
Least coast
✟83,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is not breaking the law a sin ?

Hi Maria Billingsley,

Yes, but I have to wonder what law you mean? When you previously claimed, "sins are now revealed directly through the regenerated circumcised heart" that gives a different impression than understanding that breaking the law is sin.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Maria Billingsley,

Yes, but I have to wonder what law you mean? When you previously claimed, "sins are now revealed directly through the regenerated circumcised heart" that gives a different impression than understanding that breaking the law is sin.

God bless!

Under the law is all 613 of them. The circumcised heart is not under the law but under the Spirit. Blessings.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
5. God's commandment gives us a knowledge of right doing when they are obeyed
From the scriptures: All of God's commandments are the definition of right doing or righteousness

All unrighteousness is sin
Sin is lawlessness
Sin is something the Lord hates

NKJ 1 John 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

NKJ 1 John 3:4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.

NKJ Hebrews 1:8-9 But to the Son He says: "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your Kingdom. 9 You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions."

NKJ Matthew 7:23 "And then I will declare to them,`I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'

Upvote 0