Not open for further replies.

jbarcher

ANE Social Science Researcher
Aug 25, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,136.00
Faith
Christian
We speak of being saved when what we are really referring to is being justified.
That is the source of my confusion! ^_^ I recall reading several very long OSAS threads where my intuition would lead me to say that neither side understands what the other is saying--on the basis that they mean two different things by the word saved. That is, though, merely my opinion.

That is why I made this topic--what is salvation, what, exactly, do we mean when we ask a person if they are saved? If it is justification--then let us ask, Once Justified Always Justified?

Thanks. I think my confusion is over. But to check if I have this right:

Justification - once justified, never twice
Santification - proof of justification, life long process undertaken by the will

And salvation includes both of these?

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,901.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Keeping in mind that I'm a 5-Pointer . . .

Justification - I agree with your posted definition.

Sanctification - A necessary consequence of justification (A good tree will always produce good fruit, Matt 7?). It begins with justificaton and continues on as a cooperative work between the Holy Ghost and the will of the believer. But the will of the believer is continually being shaped by God. Therefore, it is all to His glory.

Phil 2:12-13
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation (which I understand to include sanctification) with fear and trembling.
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.(KJV)

Of course, as I pointed out in my previous post God did "in a manner of speaking" sanctify some when He did elect some to be redeemed.

I hope this didn't reintroduce the confusion.

Mike

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,901.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sweets,

I am sorry. I never did get to your final question.

Yes . . . the term salvation (or being saved) can be used to refer to either justification, sanctification, or the both (although sanctification (by definition) includes justification).

We must pay careful attention to the context within which the terms are used.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
That would be justification.
But it reads full of possibility --- either TO continue in the faith firm & steadfast, or TO be "moved away from Jesus" --- it reads as conditional to me...
We aren't dilligent so that we can earn our place in God's family. We are dilligent because WE ARE in the family of God.
Here is another disagreement between us --- 2Pet1 seems to me to present one who WAS "purified from former sins" --- Fru agrees with me that he WAS SAVED. Yet this one has "forgotten that purification", he now LACKS these qualities --- so he is now immoral/uncontrolled/ungodly/unloving. How can the SAVED, lack these qualities? Indeed --- Peter seems to offer ANOTHER conditional, that: IF we "make certain of our calling and election, by reviewing our attributes" (see 2Cor13:5), "SO THAT the entrance of Heaven will be provided". Again, not a reference to "GOOD WORKS", but as we are in Christ, so will our fruit follow...
Um...I looked at 2 Peter 1:10, 1 Peter 2:1-10 but couldn't figure out what you were trying to reference. I also looked at Heb 10:19 but it also doesn't say what you quote. Both of those things sound familiar but I know right off hand where they're at. Little help?
That'll learn me to operate from memory while sleepy. 2:1:9 (we just discussed it), and of course Heb10:29. :o
Ugh! NIV...terrible translation.
Ohhh, no disagreement there. I have a "Franklin Bookman Dictionary/Thesaurus", bought the "NIV" module; most of my time is spent trying to figure out how they MESSED IT UP so that I can FIND it... :( Try sharing with a Jehovah's Witness --- type in "JEHOVAH", and the screen says: "JEHOVAH not in the Bible"... :eek:

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Reformationist said:
we seek to be what we are
oworm said:
Sorry to jump in here and hijack this thread ! Its just that the above statement seemed so profound to me i had to single it out and gaze at it for all its simplicity and paradoxically, theological depth !
Yet this reflects the difference between us --- Reformed-Theology says, "belief and faith and perseverance and growth flow FROM the divinely-instilled-regeneration, and Responsible Grace says, "regeneration and growth flow FROM belief and faith and perseverance"...
FOMWatts said:
If that is so, then I would ask where do we get our faith? Where does the faith of man come from?
Reformationist said:
Where do you think the faith of man comes from?
This is a foundational question. The Calvinist asserts "salvic-faith is INSTILLED by GOD, unilaterally, without request, without consent, without even prior knowledge." Can that question be answered by Scripture? Allow me to copy part of a post I just made on another thread:
Ben said:
There are different KINDS of faith; there is a faith that is given in measure to all believers (Rm12:3), there is a SPIRITUAL GIFT of faith given to ONE believer and not to another (1Cor12:9); but in this instance we are speaking of SALVIC-FAITH, which is identically SALVIC-BELIEF. Paul says "salvic-belief comes from the HEART" in Rom10:10; he says "salvic-faith comes from HEARING the word of God" in Rm10:17. If salvic-belief/faith comes from our HEARTS, and not from GOD, then it results from a convicted heart, rather than unilateral-instillation. Don't you agree? Look at Acts 2:37 for an example at how the Gospel convicts the heart ("pierced to the heart", or "smitten in conscience"), which caused their belief.

Rom6:17 says "you became obedient FROM THE HEART to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin you became slaves of righteousness."

Look at 2Tim3:15; here is clear sequence: "sacred writings => wisdom => faith => salvation in Jesus." Faith comes from the HEART, not "instilled by God."

Part-n-parcel of "faith from the heart", is the idea of "total depravity"; you and I both agree that mankind (apart from Jesus) IS totally depraved, and can do nothing good. (Pelagic theory asserts that man CAN do good BEFORE Jesus.) What we disagree on, is that I see Scripture (like Jn12:32) as saying "Jesus draws EVERYONE to salvation", overcoming his depravity to where he CAN make a choice.

There is only one verse to my knowledge that is asserted to the idea of "salvic-faith instilled by God", Eph2:8; but Bible translators footnote it to say: "For by grace have you been saved, and THAT-SALVATION (bygracethroughfaith) is not of yourselves, IT (that salvation) is the gift of God; (that-salvation) is not as a result of works lest anyone boast."
Fru said:
You seem to advocate a God that readily disowns His children should they neglect to come visit for a season.
That is what Scripture says to me. We have discussed 2Tim2:11-13 before:
"If we died with Him, we shall also live with Him. If we endure, we shall also reign with Him. (but) If we deny Him, (then) He will also deny us; if we are faithless (and do NOT reign with Him), yet He remains faithful (even though we perish), for He cannot deny Himself." The parentheses reflect how it reads to me; first that "denying Him and being faithless ARE POSSIBLE", and that our reigning does condition on our faithfulness/endurance.
"You have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive the Promise." Heb10:36

As far as the verse in Colossians, please tell me why it is not correct to understand verse 23 as the indication of whom He has reconciled?
Because it reads as a conditional; "IF INDEED" conveys the very clear possibility of NOT-CONTINUING.

Our relationship with Christ is confirmed by faith, hope and perseverance, NOT maintained by it.
I know this is your understanding, Fru, and I do respect it. But I don't see it reflected in Scripture.

"Take care, brethren, lest there should be found in ANY OF YOU an evil unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. But encourage one another day after day ...lest any ONE of you be HARDENED by the DECEITFULNESS OF SIN. For we have become partners (metochos) in Christ, IF we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end. ...To whom did He swear that they should not enter His resst, but to those who WERE DISOBEDIENT? So we see they were not able to enter BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF. Therefore, LET US FEAR lest, while a promise remains of entering His rest, ANY ONE OF YOU SHOULD SEEM TO HAVE FALLEN SHORT." Heb3:11-4:1

1. Deceived by sin to falling from God is POSSIBLE.
2. Partnering in Christ conditions on our holding-fast-until-the-end.
3. We have a choice in the hardening of our own hearts.
4. The followers of Moses were denied BECAUSE of their UNBELIEF
5. We should LIKEWISE fear lest any of us ALSO FALL SHORT.

This seems crystal clear to me, Fru. But I do understand that we still disagree...
This verse, on the heels of several things they are encouraged to add to their faith, simply says that he who lacks those things we add to our faith is shortsighted, forgetting that he was cleansed from his old sins, and is therefore not being fruitful as he ought to be.
Addressed above. How can one who is SAVED, be immoral and ungodly and uncontrolled and unkind and unloving?

It's Heb 10:29, actually. Ben, we addressed this one extensively. You have to completely shut out the context of that verse to make it say what you want it to say. In v14 he says that Christ has, by one offering, "perfected forever those who are being sanctified." (Do perfected people go to hell, Ben?)
There is no contradiction if "those being sanctified are BELIEVERS", and if "unbelief is POSSIBLE". Just as Eph1:4 is answered by the "condition of BELIEF" in Eph1:13, our "sanctification and justification and salvation" all found on our belief...
Verse 17, "[our] sins and lawless deeds [He] will remember no more." (Does He not mean what He says?). :D And of course there's verse 39: "But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul." Is there any reason then to believe that verse 29, given its surrounding and immediate context, is not ILLUSTRATIVE (as much of Hebrews is) of the supremacy of the New Covenant over the Old in every respect (including, in this case, the severity of rejecting it)?
The reason is that "SHRINKING BACK IN SHAME", is offered as a very real possibility in verses such as 1Jn2:28 (Abide in Him, SO THAT when He appears we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming.")

Heb10:29 is a "POSITIVE AFFIRMATION" --- first he states the CONSEQUENCES of not-enduring (becoming faithless), then in ENCOURAGEMENT he says "but we are not of those who shrink back but of those of faith to the preserving of the soul" --- this said in ENCOURAGEMENT for them to NOT "be like those who shrink, but be of faith".

This contruct is identical to Heb6, where it clearly says "those who have TASTED the heavenly gift" (using the SAME word as Heb2:9 Jesus "TASTED death"), "they have been made PARTNERS (METOCHOS -- Heb3:1,14) with the Holy Spirit", if they fall away then they cannot become repentant WHILE they (regard Jesus with contempt). Now look at the POSITIVE ASSURANCE of verse 9, just like the one in ch10: "But beloved, we are convinced of better things for you, and things that accompany salvation, though we are speaking in this way." Now look at the conditional presented in 11, full of personal responsibility: "And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence, SO THAT you realize the full assurance of hope until the end. [sup]12[/sup]that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." The whole context speaks to our own responsibility; not of "everything flowing invariably from a unilaterally-God-changed-heart."

Upvote 0

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ben johnson said:
Here is another disagreement between us --- 2Pet1 seems to me to present one who WAS "purified from former sins" --- Fru agrees with me that he WAS SAVED. Yet this one has "forgotten that purification", he now LACKS these qualities --- so he is now immoral/uncontrolled/ungodly/unloving. How can the SAVED, lack these qualities?
Peter encourages them to be diligent in adding these qualities TO their faith, for by doing so they may have personal assurance of their calling and election. Please note that personal assurance is NOT a requirement of salvation. One can be saved and not be assured of it for myriad reasons. This passage is simply encouragement to progress in sanctification to become more fruitful and productive. You are becoming so overwhelmingly dependent upon the externals that you are relying upon them to determine definitively the salvific state of a person.

Indeed --- Peter seems to offer ANOTHER conditional, that: IF we "make certain of our calling and election, by reviewing our attributes" (see 2Cor13:5), "SO THAT the entrance of Heaven will be provided". Again, not a reference to "GOOD WORKS", but as we are in Christ, so will our fruit follow...
No, so that the entrance will be abundantly provided. Tell me, Ben...why the need for the adverb if it really only means "if you do these things...an entrance will be supplied to you?"

I've posted this before and will do so again:
Consider Matthew Henry: "Those who are diligent in the work of religion shall have a triumphant entrance into glory; while of those few who get to heaven some are scarcely saved (1 Pt. 4:18), with a great deal of difficulty,​
even as by fire (1 Co. 3:15), those who are growing in grace, and abounding in the work of the Lord, shall have an abundant entrance into the joy of their Lord, even that everlasting kingdom where Christ reigns, and they shall reign with him for ever and ever."

Verse 11 doesn't speak of the possibility of entrance, but rather the quality or characteristic of the entrance.

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Fru said:
Peter encourages them to be diligent in adding these qualities TO their faith, for by doing so they may have personal assurance of their calling and election. Please note that personal assurance is NOT a requirement of salvation. One can be saved and not be assured of it for myriad reasons. This passage is simply encouragement to progress in sanctification to become more fruitful and productive. You are becoming so overwhelmingly dependent upon the externals that you are relying upon them to determine definitively the salvific state of a person
Hi, Fru. Please help me to understand what you mean. "ADD these qualities TO your faith"? Do you believe that saving faith can ACCOMPANY immorality, or accompany ungodliness, or accompany unkindness/unlovingness?

I understand what you say about "sanctification being a PROCESS"; please help me to understand how this fits in with John's words, "He who practices righteousness IS righteous, ...he who practices unrighteosuness is not of God" (1:3:7-10)?

If "born again" is synonymous with "regeneration", then are you suggesting that one can be "SAVED but not-yet-BORN-AGAIN", or "in the PROCESS of being born-again", or "BECOMING regenerated"?

You see, to me, the "fruitul-and-productive" seems contrasted to the real possibility of NOT-practicing-these-qualities, and STUMBLING (where "ptaio" means "BECOME WRETCHED").
No, so that the entrance will be abundantly provided. Tell me, Ben...why the need for the adverb if it really only means "if you do these things...an entrance will be supplied to you?"
Yes I'm familiar with the interpretation that says "the ENTRANCE of Heaven can be ABUNDANTLY provided, or LESS-ABUNDANTLY-but-STILL-PROVIDED". I just see only ONE "providing" here. To me it reads as a dual path:

1. Diligent and practice these things (which demonstrates "Christ-in-you"), and Heaven's entrance abundantly provided
2. LACKS these qualities, blind/shortsighted/forgotten-purification, stumble-become-wretched, Heaven not provided at all.

That's my understanding. What do you think?

Upvote 0

frumanchu

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ben johnson said:
Hi, Fru. Please help me to understand what you mean. "ADD these qualities TO your faith"? Do you believe that saving faith can ACCOMPANY immorality, or accompany ungodliness, or accompany unkindness/unlovingness?
Ben, do you ever act in an immoral, ungodly, unkind or unloving manner even given your saved state? If you don't, you're deceiving yourself...and if you do, either you are oscillating in and out of salvation every time you do this, or you are living proof that it is possible for one to have saving faith while at the same time (either momentarily or for a season) exhibiting those characteristics.

Those words are the words of Peter. We are to add to our faith/supply in our faith. Mind you, I have said before and will say again, that I do not believe it possible for a person to have saving faith in Christ and yet never increase in these things. But Scripture is clear that our diligence in our part of our sanctification carries with it loss or reward beyond our salvation.

I understand what you say about "sanctification being a PROCESS"; please help me to understand how this fits in with John's words, "He who practices righteousness IS righteous, ...he who practices unrighteosuness is not of God" (1:3:7-10)?
Does one who is unregenerate truly practice any true righteousness? And also, as you so often pointed out, there is a difference between committing sin and practicing sin.

If "born again" is synonymous with "regeneration", then are you suggesting that one can be "SAVED but not-yet-BORN-AGAIN", or "in the PROCESS of being born-again", or "BECOMING regenerated"?
You're not making sense. If I maintain that regeneration/new birth precedes faith, how can one be "saved but not yet born again?" Regeneration is the sovereign, monergistic, operative act of God. Faith resulting in justification (and thus salvation) flows and follows naturally from that. It is the regenerate, rescucitated man's natural response to the spiritual truths of the Gospel which, while he was spiritually dead, he could not afore comprehend.

You see, to me, the "fruitul-and-productive" seems contrasted to the real possibility of NOT-practicing-these-qualities, and STUMBLING (where "ptaio" means "BECOME WRETCHED").
Let me ask you another question, Ben? At what point does one move from occasionally or habitually sinning to practicing sin, and vice versa? You see, on the whole you are still a sinner. You still sin...regularly and daily. Sure, you don't want to. Neither do I. But we do. We may sometimes regress to an extent in our sanctification, stumbling during certain times of temptation or trial. But do we abandon our faith in our Savior? Absolutely not. But according to what I see your theology saying, if at any point we stop actively progressing, or perhaps even regress some, in our sanctification, we show ourselves to be completely out of fellowship with God and therefore have lost our salvation. You are tying the things that we are encouraged to add to our salvation (which is both our duty and our privilege) inextricably to the actual state of our salvation, so that if we do not display, outwardly or inwardly, these characteristics on a constant and ever-increasing basis, we show ourselves to not really be saved. The reason we so often label such thinking as legalism is because it shares the same mindset. Legalism as a theological term is not limited merely to the notion of keeping the works of the Law as the basis of our justification. It has to do with binding the conscience, which is what I see your theology doing. It robs the Christian, who is struggling with sin or who has endured a season of difficulty and regression, of the assurance that the promises of Scripture can be rested on and hoped for. Where does this lead to but asceticism and further legalistic attitude, or constant doubt and uneasiness (and subsequently stunted Christian growth)?

Yes I'm familiar with the interpretation that says "the ENTRANCE of Heaven can be ABUNDANTLY provided, or LESS-ABUNDANTLY-but-STILL-PROVIDED". I just see only ONE "providing" here. To me it reads as a dual path:

1. Diligent and practice these things (which demonstrates "Christ-in-you"), and Heaven's entrance abundantly provided
2. LACKS these qualities, blind/shortsighted/forgotten-purification, stumble-become-wretched, Heaven not provided at all.

That's my understanding. What do you think?
Henry set forth a clear explanation, citing Scripture with it. Do you find 1 Cor 3:15 do be inapplicable in this case? If so, why?

Do you think that all things will be equal in Heaven? And by that I mean, will our work, our progress in sanctification, our diligence, our actions and thoughts in general, be rewarded in any manner other than receiving the same salvation that those who were less diligent, less active, less cooperative, less Godly?

Reactions: jbarcher
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Ben, do you ever act in an immoral, ungodly, unkind or unloving manner even given your saved state? If you don't, you're deceiving yourself...and if you do, either you are oscillating in and out of salvation every time you do this, or you are living proof that it is possible for one to have saving faith while at the same time (either momentarily or for a season) exhibiting those characteristics.
Please understand that as I view salvation as FELLOWSHIP WITH JESUS, and though (as you correctly say) I do sin, I do not DESIRE sin and the act GRIEVES me; it drives me to my knees in repentance that my fellowship with Him not be disturbed.
Does one who is unregenerate truly practice any true righteousness? And also, as you so often pointed out, there is a difference between committing sin and practicing sin.
I understood you to have asserted that they DO. Case in point --- 2Pet2:20. You say "they only APPEAR to escape but are never SAVED." Doesn't "appearing to escape", by definition mean "doing righteous things"? I mean, if they are UNRIGHTEOUS, then they are not "appearing to escape defilements", are they?
You're not making sense. If I maintain that regeneration/new birth precedes faith, how can one be "saved but not yet born again?" Regeneration is the sovereign, monergistic, operative act of God. Faith resulting in justification (and thus salvation) flows and follows naturally from that. It is the regenerate, rescucitated man's natural response to the spiritual truths of the Gospel which, while he was spiritually dead, he could not afore comprehend.
This is my question also. I think a difference between us on verses like 2Pet1:9, is maybe you see it as DYNAMIC (they are forgotten but will recover eventually), while I see it as STATIC (the contrast between the thesis --- those who with DILIGENCE remain useful and Heaven is abundantly provided, as opposed to the antithesis of those who LACK the qualities, LACK the diligence, FORGOTTEN purification from former sins (meaning they are back INTO those sins), and the gates of heaven will not be provided at ALL. It appears to me that you deal with verses like 1Jn3:10 (in regards to 2Pet1:9) by saying "they are GROWING and WILL practice righteousness AGAIN". (I just don't see any assurance in the text that they will...) What I'm saying, is that if one IS REGENERATED NOW (is "born again"), how can he avoid repentance? How can he be "immoral-ungodly-uncontrolled-unloving" (even if you say he WILL be someday AGAIN)?
At what point does one move from occasionally or habitually sinning to practicing sin, and vice versa?
Do I get drunk? No. Do I visit prostitutes? No. My sins are more subtle; if I miss an opportunity that God has given me, or know something is right but fail to carry through, that constitutes sin. Yet it grieves me, and I walk in repentance --- which means conscious turning AWAY from sin TOWARDS Him.
You see, on the whole you are still a sinner. You still sin...regularly and daily. Sure, you don't want to. Neither do I. But we do. We may sometimes regress to an extent in our sanctification, stumbling during certain times of temptation or trial.
WHAT sin? Do I pocket an item from a store that Icannot afford? No. Do I KEEP the excess change that I received (or ignore the item that was missed by the store scanner)? NO. I know you, Fru, you and I agree that "forgiveness is not license to sin"; God desires us NOT to sin.
But do we abandon our faith in our Savior? Absolutely not.
It depends on how you define, "WE". You and I --- NO. But I have seen others who return to fornication, DAILY, and/or to robbery, and/or cursing, and/or drunkenness. It's all a question of REPENTANCE, isn/t it?
But according to what I see your theology saying, if at any point we stop actively progressing, or perhaps even regress some, in our sanctification, we show ourselves to be completely out of fellowship with God and therefore have lost our salvation.
YES. This is because of how I define salvation --- I see it as "black-n-white", no 'middle-of-da-road". We are slaves either to RIGHTEOUSNESS, or to SIN. Rm6:16 What does "REGRESS-SOME" or "BACKSLIDE" mean? Doesn't it mean "sin repeatedly, iow without repentance"?
You are tying the things that we are encouraged to add to our salvation (which is both our duty and our privilege) inextricably to the actual state of our salvation, so that if we do not display, outwardly or inwardly, these characteristics on a constant and ever-increasing basis, we show ourselves to not really be saved.
This is what the context of 2Pet1 says to me. It seems black-n-white to me, EITHER we have these qualities AND the entrance of Heaven abundantly provided, OR we LACK the qualities and the entrance not provided at all. The struction of the passage presents HEAVEN'S PROVISION as conditional to our DILIGENCE.

I do not see how you can understand "he who LACKS these qualities (morality, self-control, godliness, love) is nevertheless STILL SAVED". You say "ADD these TO our salvation" --- but how can one be saved if he HAS NOT these qualities? If he is immoral, will he enter heaven? If unloving, will Jesus welcome him? How?
The reason we so often label such thinking as legalism is because it shares the same mindset.
No, there is a clear, but foundational difference. LEGALISM asserts that "these things, SAVE you". Responsible grace says "we are warned to be diligent IN CHRIST, that He indwells us, so that these THINGS display a heart that IS SAVED". IOW, legalism proposes salvation as the consequence of the traits, while Responsible Grace proposes the traits as the consequence of the salvation (consequence of Jesus indwelling us as Savior and Lord-Master)."

This "thesis/antithesis" contruct of "diligent-saved / undiligent-fallen" occurs in many places in Scripture. It seems identical in 2Cor13:5 --- we are to "test ourselves to see if we are in the faith". I seem to remember you saying that "verse 6 states the GIVEN that we WILL PASS THE TEST" --- while I read this as another "positive affirmation" (said as encouragement towards the goal); for why would he say "TEST if IN THE FAITH", if it was impossible to fall OUT of it?
Where does this lead to but asceticism and further legalistic attitude, or constant doubt and uneasiness (and subsequently stunted Christian growth)?
It should lead towards righteousness and sinlessness. We both reject "Carnal Chrsitianity" (Antinomianism), as it asserts the SAVED can live as the REPROBATE; and yet, what does "backslidden-but-saved" assert, but the very same thing? I have heard you clearly say, "Predestination is not a LICENSE to SIN" --- yet if one can be backslidden but saved, where is the motivation away from slothfulness?
Do you find 1 Cor 3:15 do be inapplicable in this case? If so, why?
"No other foundation can be laid but Jesus; let each be careful how he builds on it. If any man builds with gold silver precious-stones wood hay straw, ...the fire will test the quality of the work; if his work is burned up, he shall suffer loss, but he shall be saved yet so as through fire." I see this as merely extension of 1Pet1:6-9: "you have been distressed by various trials, that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though TESTED BY FIRE (trials), may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. ...obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls." Clearly trials TEST us, and non-qualitiy works will be burnt up; but if we HAVE Jesus as our FOUNDATION, we will learn to produce QUALITY works that will NOT burn up...

Thus the "saved through fire" speaks of our maturing by trials. "Blessed is he who perseveres under trial; for when he has PASSED THE TEST, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to THOSE WHO LOVE HIM." Jms1:12
Do you think that all things will be equal in Heaven? And by that I mean, will our work, our progress in sanctification, our diligence, our actions and thoughts in general, be rewarded in any manner other than receiving the same salvation that those who were less diligent, less active, less cooperative, less Godly?
Again, salvation being INDWELT by Jesus (inseparable from fellowship) either we HAVE Jesus or NOT (1Jn5:12-13). And I don't worry at all about heavenly crowns; we may have different rewards, but they are of no consequence to me. Neither mansions, nor golden streets, nor fancy crowns have any value to me --- just to be in the presence of the Creator who loved me and died for me, that's all the reward I need.

:)

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
blah blah blah....what is this garbage? The closest we can come to true contrition or repentance, is to understand that we are never repentant nor contrite enough! NEVER! These words, in the above post, reek of pious fiction nonsense. False piety is why unbelievers think Christians are a-holes! And they are right. We all want to SOUND and APPEAR (outwardly) as if we live this near blameless life, but in truth, if we are honest with ourselves...we are the vilest of sinners! If we all wore our sins on the outside, all of us, even Christians, we would look like the zombies on Micheal Jackson's Thriller video. Does this mean that we SHOULD desire to sin...no we shouldnt....but WE DO! EVERYDAY! I AM A SINNER! I SIN EVERY DAY! I AM IN DESPERATE NEED OF A SAVIOR!

"Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from (42) the body of this (43) death?
25 (44) Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" Romans 7:24-25a

Law (that which is either specifically commanded or forbidden by Scripture) and Gospel (the Promises of Christ) should be held as distinct from one another as North and South. The Law terrifies and brings condemnation, while the Gospel saves and brings peace. Interjecting Law, in anyway, into the Gospel, perverts it! Should we render the Law useless? May it never be! The Law is Perfect and Good. But in the Law we find only death, from our own merit! But faith, distilled to it's very essence, is Knowledge + Assent + Trust in the Promises of our Lord and Savior, Christ the Crucified! TRUSTING the Promises are valid FOR YOU!

In this, I am combating an idea, not any one individual. As I scan the different threads, I see much Law and little Gospel! As Mercy is God's greatest attribute, we should trust that indeed we are sinners, but redeemed! Praise be to Christ!

May the Peace of the Lord be with you ALWAYS!

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
For the purpose of perspicuity, allow me to add one more thought. There is absolutely NOTHING that seperates me, nor any other Christian, from the most harden of criminals one can think of, except unbelief. If there is faith, there is Life, and they are no different before God. The pedophiliacs, the homosexuals, the mass murderers...pick your offender...that is us. We are the Law violaters! If Hitler, before he met death, believed Christ was the sufficient sacrifice for his sins, Heaven is his...while the most moral Jehovah's Witness, if they die holding to their belief, will die eternally in Hell. We fight this on all fronts. We want to think highly of ourselves, always caught up in Sanctification and the fruits of the Spirit! Vanity is mine, daily, I assure you! Forgive me....Save me according to your Promise, Christ Jesus! Christians offer up the perfect obedience and sacrifice of our Lord and God, Jesus Christ in our place. Pagans stand alone...on their own thoughts, words, and deeds. They will be judged upon what they have done and what they have left undone. We, Christians, are pardoned from the eternal punishment of our transgressions! Praise be to Christ Jesus!

The peace of God which supasses all understanding guard and keep your hearts and minds through faith in Christ Jesus. Amen.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ChiRho, before someone gets offended by your posts, and they will, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY ARE TRUE, which they are, let me be the first to commend you on your God centered attitude about our relationship and need for our Savior.

God bless

Upvote 0

frumanchu

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ben johnson said:
Please understand that as I view salvation as FELLOWSHIP WITH JESUS, and though (as you correctly say) I do sin, I do not DESIRE sin and the act GRIEVES me; it drives me to my knees in repentance that my fellowship with Him not be disturbed.
Understood. Nevertheless, that which you do not want to do, you do, and that which you want to do, you do not do. You've said the solution to this dilemma is in Rom 8. So, does that mean that since you continue to do that which you do not want (sin), that you do not have the solution?

From personal experience, I know that during times when I've struggled with persistent sins that I sometimes can't believe I'm doing what I am, and though I'm immediately remorseful somehow I fall right back into it again. It grieves me deeply, and to be sure it is injurious to my fellowship, but my salvation is not lost for that season. Were that so, my heart would be plagued with the fear that I might die in the midst of one of those struggles and be cast down.

I understood you to have asserted that they DO. Case in point --- 2Pet2:20. You say "they only APPEAR to escape but are never SAVED." Doesn't "appearing to escape", by definition mean "doing righteous things"? I mean, if they are UNRIGHTEOUS, then they are not "appearing to escape defilements", are they?
No, Ben. That is a mischaracterization of what my position is. The true test of whether acts are righteous is in the heart. If one is performing righteous works without the right motivation, then they are not truly righteous acts...merely what is often termed "civic righteousness." My position is that they appear saved by their outwardly righteous actions, but in fact are not. The Pharisees are prime examples of this. That is why Jesus called the "whited sepulchres" and "whitewashed tombs." Their outward appearance was one of purity and righteousness, but their hearts were far from Him. When Jesus said that our righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisees, was He setting the bar low or high?

This is my question also. I think a difference between us on verses like 2Pet1:9, is maybe you see it as DYNAMIC (they are forgotten but will recover eventually), while I see it as STATIC (the contrast between the thesis --- those who with DILIGENCE remain useful and Heaven is abundantly provided, as opposed to the antithesis of those who LACK the qualities, LACK the diligence, FORGOTTEN purification from former sins (meaning they are back INTO those sins), and the gates of heaven will not be provided at ALL. It appears to me that you deal with verses like 1Jn3:10 (in regards to 2Pet1:9) by saying "they are GROWING and WILL practice righteousness AGAIN". (I just don't see any assurance in the text that they will...) What I'm saying, is that if one IS REGENERATED NOW (is "born again"), how can he avoid repentance? How can he be "immoral-ungodly-uncontrolled-unloving" (even if you say he WILL be someday AGAIN)?
Ben, if you are regenerated now, why do you still sin? Do you have personal assurance that you have repented of each and every sin committed post-conversion without exception? If so, did you immediately repent of them after they occurred? Do you realize each and every sin you committed when you committed it from Day One of your conversion?

What you just wrote appears to me to be saying that unless one repents of their sins, each and every one, and does so immediately, that they are 'unrepentant' and therefore unregenerate.

Do I get drunk? No. Do I visit prostitutes? No. My sins are more subtle; if I miss an opportunity that God has given me, or know something is right but fail to carry through, that constitutes sin. Yet it grieves me, and I walk in repentance --- which means conscious turning AWAY from sin TOWARDS Him.
Your sins are more subtle, but are they any less severe? Are you honestly comparing your sins to that of your brother or neighbor as a measure of your own salvation/sanctification? Again I must ask, if you've already repented and turned away from sin, why are you still sinning at all?

WHAT sin? Do I pocket an item from a store that Icannot afford? No. Do I KEEP the excess change that I received (or ignore the item that was missed by the store scanner)? NO. I know you, Fru, you and I agree that "forgiveness is not license to sin"; God desires us NOT to sin.
Agreed. But in the times that you do stumble (and we both know you do), are you unsaved because of it? Only unsaved up to the point of repentance?

You do understand don't you that when you sin, you are doing so according to your strongest desire at that moment. That means that at the moment you choose to do so, your desire in the flesh to sin is greater than your desire in the spirit to please God.

It depends on how you define, "WE". You and I --- NO. But I have seen others who return to fornication, DAILY, and/or to robbery, and/or cursing, and/or drunkenness. It's all a question of REPENTANCE, isn/t it?
Do you know for a fact any of the following things about that person or persons?

1) That they truly had saving faith in Jesus Christ...not just notitia or assensus, but true fiducia?

2) That they felt absolutely no remorse for their actions and in fact delighted in them

3) That they have not and will not ever repent of their actions

4) That they were completely and wholly devoid of any fellowship or inclination towards Christ

I know personally people who are saved who have fallen off the wagon with respect to alcoholism after being dry for years, only to pick themselves back up and eventually return to abstinence. But you are telling me that that entire time they were in the midst of their struggle that they were unsaved? DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THAT, BEN?

YES. This is because of how I define salvation --- I see it as "black-n-white", no 'middle-of-da-road". We are slaves either to RIGHTEOUSNESS, or to SIN. Rm6:16 What does "REGRESS-SOME" or "BACKSLIDE" mean? Doesn't it mean "sin repeatedly, iow without repentance"?
If you are a slave to righteousness, why do you sin at all, Ben? Are you engaged daily in going back and forth between slavery to sin and slavery to righteousness?

This is what the context of 2Pet1 says to me. It seems black-n-white to me, EITHER we have these qualities AND the entrance of Heaven abundantly provided, OR we LACK the qualities and the entrance not provided at all. The struction of the passage presents HEAVEN'S PROVISION as conditional to our DILIGENCE.

No, Ben. There is no concrete necessity to view it that way. The correct logical conclusion is that either we have these qualities and the entrance will be abundantly provided, or we lack them and the entrance will not be abundantly provided. You have to show reasonable cause for concluding that the only way the entrance can be provided is "abundantly." This is the type of logical/grammatical fallacy that is perpetuating your view.

I do not see how you can understand "he who LACKS these qualities (morality, self-control, godliness, love) is nevertheless STILL SAVED". You say "ADD these TO our salvation" --- but how can one be saved if he HAS NOT these qualities? If he is immoral, will he enter heaven? If unloving, will Jesus welcome him? How?
Because we have our salvation in the merit of Christ, Ben, NOT in our own righteousness. What it sounds like you are saying is that that merit is not enough...that we are reliant upon what we add to our faith in order to preserve our salvation.

And it is the Apostle Peter who said "ADD TO your faith," not me. As you seem to have readily admitted above, it's not enough that we exhibit any of these virtues at any time to varying degrees...we are in fact wholly reliant upon these additions to our faith in order to be saved.

No, there is a clear, but foundational difference. LEGALISM asserts that "these things, SAVE you". Responsible grace says "we are warned to be diligent IN CHRIST, that He indwells us, so that these THINGS display a heart that IS SAVED". IOW, legalism proposes salvation as the consequence of the traits, while Responsible Grace proposes the traits as the consequence of the salvation (consequence of Jesus indwelling us as Savior and Lord-Master)."
But see, you have to presuppose that salvation can be lost in order to advocate that an observable lack of these traits, whether momentary or for a season, of necessity indicates a complete and total lack of salvation. That is false. What your position and legalism share in common is the absolute and definitive lack of salvation for those who do not display the traits for any period of time.

The Reformed position agrees in principle with your notion that the traits are the consequence of genuine salvation, but in practice as you've put it forth your doctrine shares with legalism in the manner I just spoke to above. In essence, your doctrine of sanctification is for practical purposes completely monergistic on the part of the believer. God is limited in His ability to refine and sanctify you by the fallibility of the human condition. I find this to be completely counter to New Testament teaching.

This "thesis/antithesis" contruct of "diligent-saved / undiligent-fallen" occurs in many places in Scripture. It seems identical in 2Cor13:5 --- we are to "test ourselves to see if we are in the faith". I seem to remember you saying that "verse 6 states the GIVEN that we WILL PASS THE TEST" --- while I read this as another "positive affirmation" (said as encouragement towards the goal); for why would he say "TEST if IN THE FAITH", if it was impossible to fall OUT of it?
I don't recall saying any such thing, but to an extent it is true. This verse serves two purposes: to urge them to seek the assurance of their own faith by examining the evidence which manifests it, and to encourage diligence in rooting out the areas of their lives where they still have work to do.

It should lead towards righteousness and sinlessness. We both reject "Carnal Chrsitianity" (Antinomianism), as it asserts the SAVED can live as the REPROBATE; and yet, what does "backslidden-but-saved" assert, but the very same thing? I have heard you clearly say, "Predestination is not a LICENSE to SIN" --- yet if one can be backslidden but saved, where is the motivation away from slothfulness?
You tell me, Ben. You are saved, yet a sinner. It has been the understanding from Apostolic times: simul justus et piccator (at the same time just and sinner). What is your motivation away from sinning at all given that despite what assurance you have of your salvation you persist in sinning at all?

The answer is a contrite heart, moved to continued and renewed repentance by the Holy Spirit. The reality is that we still wage war against the flesh from the moment of our conversion to the moment of death. Every second we are in this corrupt body we are at war. It is not as though we have always been at war from birth and it's only at our conversion that we started winning at all. The battle did not even START until our regeneration and indwelling. This is not a sprint, but a marathon, and some miles are more difficult than others. Not every battle is won, but the outcome of the war is assured.

"No other foundation can be laid but Jesus; let each be careful how he builds on it. If any man builds with gold silver precious-stones wood hay straw, ...the fire will test the quality of the work; if his work is burned up, he shall suffer loss, but he shall be saved yet so as through fire." I see this as merely extension of 1Pet1:6-9: "you have been distressed by various trials, that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though TESTED BY FIRE (trials), may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. ...obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls." Clearly trials TEST us, and non-qualitiy works will be burnt up; but if we HAVE Jesus as our FOUNDATION, we will learn to produce QUALITY works that will NOT burn up...
1 Cor 3:15 is crystal clear, Ben. "If his work is burned up, he shall suffer loss, but HE SHALL BE SAVED, yet so as one through fire." Your excerpt from 1 Peter left out a critical part in verse 5: "who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." To borrow your phrase, you advocate that this verse "does not mean what it says." Your position really says those "who keep themselves by the power of their faith for salvation." It makes NO SENSE to say that the power of God to keep men is only applicable so long as men maintain their faith. This is not what the verse says. It says God's power keeps them for salvation, and the instrument by which this is accomplished is faith. If God's power only works to the extent our faith allows it with respect to salvation and perseverance, then this verse quite simple does not mean what it says.

God preserves them (Jude 1), is able to keep them from stumbling (Jude 24), He has sealed them (Eph 4:30) by the Holy Spirit Who is the guarantee/down payment/earnest of their inheritance until their redemption is fulfilled (Eph 1:13-14), He will confirm them to the end (1 Cor 1:7-9), He WILL glorify them (Rom 8:30), and He in faithfulness WILL DO IT (1 Thess 5:24).

Thus the "saved through fire" speaks of our maturing by trials. "Blessed is he who perseveres under trial; for when he has PASSED THE TEST, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to THOSE WHO LOVE HIM." Jms1:12
So, the person in 1 Cor 3:15 whose works have all been destroyed by fire but is still saved, what does that say about the externals in relation to our faith. If the works perish but the faith perseveres, he has passed the test, no? According to you, it's not a lifelong test, but a series of smaller tests, and if one fails any of the tests, he's unsaved until he manages to pass the next test with something other than his faith to show for it?

Again, salvation being INDWELT by Jesus (inseparable from fellowship) either we HAVE Jesus or NOT (1Jn5:12-13). And I don't worry at all about heavenly crowns; we may have different rewards, but they are of no consequence to me. Neither mansions, nor golden streets, nor fancy crowns have any value to me --- just to be in the presence of the Creator who loved me and died for me, that's all the reward I need.
And that clearly is the glory one finds even if he has been saved as through fire. He has nothing left, nothing to show for his building, but he has his life and may glory in rejoice in that alone.

The rewards may be of no consequence to you, but our Lord encouraged us to store up for ourselves treasures in Heaven. To be sure, we do not do the work merely for the sake of the reward, but from a heart that seeks to do that which pleases God. Nevertheless, just because you "don't worry at all about heavenly crowns" does not render their existence insignificant. I long to hear the words from my Savior "Well done thou good and faithful servant" not because it fuels my pride or status, but because I know upon hearing such that I have pleased my Lord. The heavenly crowns glorify Him, not me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Nevertheless, that which you do not want to do, you do, and that which you want to do, you do not do. You've said the solution to this dilemma is in Rom 8. So, does that mean that since you continue to do that which you do not want (sin), that you do not have the solution?
You and I recognize that Rom7 is NOT about "problem-in-the-PAST". So while we LIVE, and HAVE the flesh, we CONTUE "walking in the Spirit, and by the Spirit are putTING to death the deeds of the flesh". That's why I see it as "continuing to abide in Him"...
From personal experience, I know that during times when I've struggled with persistent sins that I sometimes can't believe I'm doing what I am, and though I'm immediately remorseful somehow I fall right back into it again. It grieves me deeply, and to be sure it is injurious to my fellowship, but my salvation is not lost for that season. Were that so, my heart would be plagued with the fear that I might die in the midst of one of those struggles and be cast down.
I would say that if you never move towards NOT-DOING-IT, then you would not be sincerely repentant. Wouldn't you? God is faithful, and WITH the temptation will always provide a means of escape, that we may be able to withstand. 1Cor10:13
Ben, if you are regenerated now, why do you still sin? Do you have personal assurance that you have repented of each and every sin committed post-conversion without exception? If so, did you immediately repent of them after they occurred? Do you realize each and every sin you committed when you committed it from Day One of your conversion?
That is the question, isn't it? If our regeneration is UNILATERAL FROM GOD, then why do we not exhibit the concept of 1Jn3:6&9: "No one who abides in Him sins, and no one who sins knowns Him. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him, and he CANNOT SIN BECAUSE HE IS BORN OF GOD."? The answer is that God is RESISTIBLE; and "born-of-God" is through faith, but our OWN, fallible, forfeitable faith.
What you just wrote appears to me to be saying that unless one repents of their sins, each and every one, and does so immediately, that they are 'unrepentant' and therefore unregenerate.
I do believe that, Fru; but it is not a "LIST-SPECIFIC" thing (miss one and lose the Hawaiian Vacation), it's a CORPORATE ATTITUDE; if I submit to Him in ALL THINGS, then my attitude is WALKING in repentance --- and He understands that I repent even of the sins that I may forget to mention. "Corporate (total) repentance"...
Your sins are more subtle, but are they any less severe? Are you honestly comparing your sins to that of your brother or neighbor as a measure of your own salvation/sanctification? Again I must ask, if you've already repented and turned away from sin, why are you still sinning at all?
Sin is sin. I have never had a homosexual inclination, have never "been with a woman outside of marriage"; am I any better than a homosexual or fornicator? No. I have not lived a sinless life, not by deeds or thougths (God says THOUGHTS are as condemnable as DEEDS). We are ALL equally guilty in the eyes of God.
Agreed. But in the times that you do stumble (and we both know you do), are you unsaved because of it? Only unsaved up to the point of repentance?
Sin confirms the fact that God is RESISTIBLE; if I sin, I do so from volition. If I sin, I then have the SAME volition to repent, or to SIN AGAIN. He who "walks in sin" is not of God...
Do you know for a fact any of the following things about that person or persons?

1) That they truly had saving faith in Jesus Christ...not just notitia or assensus, but true fiducia?

2) That they felt absolutely no remorse for their actions and in fact delighted in them

3) That they have not and will not ever repent of their actions

4) That they were completely and wholly devoid of any fellowship or inclination towards Christ

I know personally people who are saved who have fallen off the wagon with respect to alcoholism after being dry for years, only to pick themselves back up and eventually return to abstinence. But you are telling me that that entire time they were in the midst of their struggle that they were unsaved? DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THAT, BEN?
1. -yes.
2. Maybe not DELIGHT, but if they CONTINUE IN SIN that is the same as "delighting".
3. The question is STATIC --- not "where will they BE", but "where are they NOW". I believe that a fallen-from-salvation person CAN RETURN TO SALVATION...
4. It's black-n-white for me; either we dwell in Jesus, or we dwell in sin; never between...
No, Ben. There is no concrete necessity to view it that way. The correct logical conclusion is that either we have these qualities and the entrance will be abundantly provided, or we lack them and the entrance will not be abundantly provided. You have to show reasonable cause for concluding that the only way the entrance can be provided is "abundantly." This is the type of logical/grammatical fallacy that is perpetuating your view.
Because the only other option is that "the IMMORAL man will have Heaven's entrance PROVIDED, but LESS abundantly." Scripture tells me that "the immoral will not inherit Heaven at all."
Because we have our salvation in the merit of Christ, Ben, NOT in our own righteousness. What it sounds like you are saying is that that merit is not enough...that we are reliant upon what we add to our faith in order to preserve our salvation.
Agreed --- but we can "abide in the merit of Christ or not", can't we?
And it is the Apostle Peter who said "ADD TO your faith," not me. As you seem to have readily admitted above, it's not enough that we exhibit any of these virtues at any time to varying degrees...we are in fact wholly reliant upon these additions to our faith in order to be saved.
No time now to go to the Greek; but my NASV says, "IN (through) your faith, SUPPLY..."
But see, you have to presuppose that salvation can be lost in order to advocate that an observable lack of these traits, whether momentary or for a season, of necessity indicates a complete and total lack of salvation. That is false. What your position and legalism share in common is the absolute and definitive lack of salvation for those who do not display the traits for any period of time.
Conversely, you must presuppose that salvation can NOT be lost to advocate that "lack of these traits can still be saved"...
The answer is a contrite heart, moved to continued and renewed repentance by the Holy Spirit. The reality is that we still wage war against the flesh from the moment of our conversion to the moment of death. Every second we are in this corrupt body we are at war. It is not as though we have always been at war from birth and it's only at our conversion that we started winning at all. The battle did not even START until our regeneration and indwelling. This is not a sprint, but a marathon, and some miles are more difficult than others. Not every battle is won, but the outcome of the war is assured.
Perfect aggreement, up until the last word. The Scripture I've read says: "He who endures to the end will be saved". And "By your endurance you will save your souls." And "You have need of endurance SO THAT when you have done the will of God you may receive the promise."
Means exactly what it says; but you see "faith instilled by God", I see "faith/belief from one's own heart".
God preserves them (Jude 1), is able to keep them from stumbling (Jude 24), He has sealed them (Eph 4:30) by the Holy Spirit Who is the guarantee/down payment/earnest of their inheritance until their redemption is fulfilled (Eph 1:13-14), He will confirm them to the end (1 Cor 1:7-9), He WILL glorify them (Rom 8:30), and He in faithfulness WILL DO IT (1 Thess 5:24).
Jude supports our own diligence and perseverance: "KEEP YOURSELVES in the love of God..." 21

Gotta go --- but let me ask you a question --- in the verse Luke 15:13, and ONLY verse 13, is he saved or not?

:)

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
To be sure, we do not do the work merely for the sake of the reward, but from a heart that seeks to do that which pleases God. Nevertheless, just because you "don't worry at all about heavenly crowns" does not render their existence insignificant. I long to hear the words from my Savior "Well done thou good and faithful servant" not because it fuels my pride or status, but because I know upon hearing such that I have pleased my Lord. The heavenly crowns glorify Him, not me.
You know, there really is a lot we agree on. I long to hear those words myself, for the same reason.
:D

Upvote 0

frumanchu

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ben johnson said:
You and I recognize that Rom7 is NOT about "problem-in-the-PAST". So while we LIVE, and HAVE the flesh, we CONTUE "walking in the Spirit, and by the Spirit are putTING to death the deeds of the flesh". That's why I see it as "continuing to abide in Him"...
But nowhere in Rom 7 or 8 do you find evidence that those who are in Christ will fail to abide in Him. Romans 7 going into 8 expresses Paul's thankfulness that the condition he is in (in which he is ALREADY walking in the Spirit while sinning in the flesh) now holds no condemnation.

I would say that if you never move towards NOT-DOING-IT, then you would not be sincerely repentant. Wouldn't you? God is faithful, and WITH the temptation will always provide a means of escape, that we may be able to withstand. 1Cor10:13
Oh, not only that, Ben...according to what I'm seeing here you not only need to move towards not doing it, you have to prove that you're sincere by actually having increasing success.

That is the question, isn't it? If our regeneration is UNILATERAL FROM GOD, then why do we not exhibit the concept of 1Jn3:6&9: "No one who abides in Him sins, and no one who sins knowns Him. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him, and he CANNOT SIN BECAUSE HE IS BORN OF GOD."? The answer is that God is RESISTIBLE; and "born-of-God" is through faith, but our OWN, fallible, forfeitable faith.
Your position is untenable and impractical, Ben. If "no one who abides in Him sins" then clearly each and every time you sin you are not abiding in Him and therefore not saved. But you cannot then reconcile this understanding with Paul in Romans 7 without maintaining that we went in and out of salvation repeatedly with every sin, despite the fact that he was clearly walking in the Spirit the whole time. 1 John 3:6 says that "no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him." Well, Paul clearly admits to sinning in Rom 7, and you freely admit to continued sinning in your life. Therefore you haven't seen Him nor do you know Him. That's consistent application of your logic and your understanding, Ben.

Tell me, Ben...how many times have you been born again?

BTW, the monergistic operation of the Holy Spirit in regeneration has nothing to do with the issue of continued sin.

I do believe that, Fru; but it is not a "LIST-SPECIFIC" thing (miss one and lose the Hawaiian Vacation), it's a CORPORATE ATTITUDE; if I submit to Him in ALL THINGS, then my attitude is WALKING in repentance --- and He understands that I repent even of the sins that I may forget to mention. "Corporate (total) repentance"...
But then you turn around and deny the notion of "corporately" walking in the Spirit even in times of stumbling? If you submit to Him in all things, why do you sin in the first place?

Sin is sin. I have never had a homosexual inclination, have never "been with a woman outside of marriage"; am I any better than a homosexual or fornicator? No. I have not lived a sinless life, not by deeds or thougths (God says THOUGHTS are as condemnable as DEEDS). We are ALL equally guilty in the eyes of God.
But you've avoided the question...if you have turned from sin towards Him, then why are you continuing to sin?

Sin confirms the fact that God is RESISTIBLE; if I sin, I do so from volition. If I sin, I then have the SAME volition to repent, or to SIN AGAIN. He who "walks in sin" is not of God...
Corporately, you appear to be walking in sin, Ben. You may not persistently and unrepentantly commit the same sin over and over, but "corporately" you are continuing to sin. Again, your position, consistenly applied, leave you in a lot of trouble.

So you claim to know for a fact the state of their heart? Rediculous and sinfully presumptuous.

2. Maybe not DELIGHT, but if they CONTINUE IN SIN that is the same as "delighting".
You clearly enjoy sinning, Ben. After all you are still sinning after all these years, so if you are continuing in sin corporately isn't that the same as delighting in it?

3. The question is STATIC --- not "where will they BE", but "where are they NOW". I believe that a fallen-from-salvation person CAN RETURN TO SALVATION...
Your position is the kissing cousin of Roman Catholicism. In and out of salvation and working like mad to maintain it, hoping we don't die before we've had a chance to repent of our sin and restore our salvation.

4. It's black-n-white for me; either we dwell in Jesus, or we dwell in sin; never between...
I agree...problem is you have unrealistic, impractical and unscriptural expectations and understandings regarding sin as it relates to the true believer.

Tell me, these people you speak of. Where they utterly immoral? Did they cease to practice all righteousness during their stumbling?

Means exactly what it says; but you see "faith instilled by God", I see "faith/belief from one's own heart".
Where did I say "faith instilled by God?" It is our faith, not God's. All this time and you still cannot get my position right, Ben. You've set up another little false dilemma here by maintaining that faith either comes from God or is from one's own heart, when in fact both can be (and are) true.

Jude supports our own diligence and perseverance: "KEEP YOURSELVES in the love of God..." 21
Surely you can do better than that, Ben.

Gotta go --- but let me ask you a question --- in the verse Luke 15:13, and ONLY verse 13, is he saved or not?
I refuse to answer that question on principle because I know exactly how it will be used and because this has already been addressed. You want me to make a speculation as the salvation of a hypothetical person in a parable without considering the surrounding context. That may work for you, and is clearly the hermeneutical and exegetical method you prefer, but I find it irresponsible. I could give you a dozen verses off the top of my head and ask the same type of question of you to answer without considering anything other than that verse alone, and you would argue the same way.

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
sweetsoulsong said:
I know that justification happens once.

Compare where Genesis says Abraham was justified and where James says he was jusified, and you'll see that justification is continuous.

sweetsoulsong said:
Santification is a life-long process.

What is salvation, then?

Salvation is remission of sins! Remission indicates forgiveness and removal. In Christ Jesus, sins are not only forgiven, but washed away! Now, once they are gone, how can a man go to hell, since it is sin that sends a man to that place? But even after a man recieves remission of sins for the first time, through baptism (Acts 2:38), he can sin again. Then, he must repent and confess and God will cleanse Him again by Christ's blood, as John says:

(1 John 1:7-9) But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. {8} If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. {9} If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

So, in short, salvation is remission of sins, which is received first in baptism, but continuously received thereafter by those who walk in the light, that is by those who continue to observe the communion (wherein the blood of Christ is continuously received spiritually) and who do not persist in wilfull sin (Heb 10:26) but repent and confess their sins.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,901.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
christian-only said:
Compare where Genesis says Abraham was justified and where James says he was jusified, and you'll see that justification is continuous.

Honest, I tried. But I didn't make the connection that apparently seems so obvious to you that it needn't be explained.

Would you please point out th Chapters and verses to which you are referring and explain how they demonstrate an ongoing justification?

I would be greatful.

Buy His Grace,

Mike

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.