Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What counts as gossip since they are no biblical definition to gossip ?

You should probably ask this in general theology. Not sure how this fits into advice…

Jesus said, “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks” (Matthew 12:34). How we communicate is clearly something our Creator takes very seriously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
QQ74, it's posts like this that caused me to comment about your conscience being highly and perhaps overly active.

I **LOVE** that you are pondering the working out of your sanctification - don't get me wrong - but you are constructing in a lot of areas, per your various posts.

Please be very careful to view all things through love. The most pious person, the most mighty person, even the person gifted with miraculous powers, are all nothing unless they have love.

The Galatians may have just had Paul's letter as their bible - the rest of the NT hadn't been constructed yet as full collection. He spent most of the book chiding them for placing themselves back under the law, and then the latter half of Gal 5 was what they had for their "Bible" to add to not getting back under legalisms. The works of darkness were laid out to avoid and the fruits of the Spirit was laid out to grow in. That's all they had!

I think of Gal as the one book that defines our NT Bible, and if there was only one book we could have, I think it would be Galatians. The remainder of the books weren't added to official cannon until about the year 400, so up until then, the growing church had a smattering of whatever letters they might have copied out. Each group of people didn't necessarily have all of the rest of the meaty letters defining our doctrines, etc etc.

If your words are not outworking the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22) , they may be gossip. If they are telling someone else's story (which belongs to them and not you), it might be gossip. If you would not want your words about someone else said about you, they might be gossip.

An exception to the paragraph above, gossip is NOT: exposing the fruits of darkness ,(ie a pedophile), esp if it is causing harm to others (a pastor who has disqualifying behavior, an affair), etc.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What counts as gossip since they are no biblical definition to gossip ?
Exodus 20:16: "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor."
This command covers all types of gossip.
Other verses:
Leviticus 19:16: "You shall not go about as a slanderer among your people."
Proverbs 10:18: "Whoever conceals hatred has lying lips, and whoever spreads slander is a fool."
Proverbs 11:13: "Whoever guards their lips preserves their life; whoever opens wide their mouth comes to ruin."

Blessings

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are criticizing someone, but not caring for the person in prayer . . . just in your mind this can be gossip.

Jesus wants us to forgive >

"'And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.'" (Mark 11:25)

So, if you are thinking things against someone but you are not ready to forgive the person, this can mean you are gossiping in your mind.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟216,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Bible has a lot to say about language that could fall into gossip:

Statements made that are untrue. Or true but tear others down. Verbal attacks. Exaggerations. False accusations. Casts doubt on someone's character. Saying something about someone before knowing all the facts.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
everything anyone says is gossip, that is why all will be judged by every word out of the mouth.

Matthew q12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

now focus on the bit that all seem to liked evading, stop loving in word tongue and text, get away from your comfort of forum and love in sincerity.

1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0