Objectivist
Jul 26, 2014
✟16,557.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How do you define "evil"?
That which is harmful to man's life qua human being, I.e. The rational animal with volitional consciousness. Anything which interferes with his ability to reason and live by his own judgement.

Reactions: Eudaimonist
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
That which is harmful to man's life qua human being, I.e. The rational animal with volitional consciousness. Anything which interferes with his ability to reason and live by his own judgement.
I see. Would you say that destruction of man (aka "death") is then "evil"?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Everything that corresponds to the will of God.
Do you believe that the Highest (God/Source/etc.) has a will?

I'm starting to believe that it doesn't. A will implies choice, and choice implies choosing from among various options within time and space. If the Highest is not limited by either, then it wouldn't have a will, and therefore there would be no "will of God" ... and subsequently, nothing inherently good or evil.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I'm starting to believe that it doesn't. A will implies choice, and choice implies choosing from among various options within time and space. If the Highest is not limited by either, then it wouldn't have a will, and therefore there would be no "will of God" ... and subsequently, nothing inherently good or evil.

God's will and human will are not the same thing, so making an anthropomorphic analogy doesn't quite work.

God's will is immutable, perfect and altogether good.

Reactions: PapaZoom
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I'm starting to believe that it doesn't. A will implies choice, and choice implies choosing from among various options within time and space. If the Highest is not limited by either, then it wouldn't have a will, and therefore there would be no "will of God" ... and subsequently,
nothing inherently good or evil.

This is not what Buddhism says. If you like Buddhism, this should be a serious problem to you.

Upvote 0

paulm50

Feb 5, 2014
✟2,061.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
So, abuse your pet is not evil?
Humanist can never have a good definition of evil. You are better off to pretend that evil does not exist.
I would never dream of hurting an animal. I wonder what made you look for the gap in my statement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I see. Would you say that destruction of man (aka "death") is then "evil"?

I would. Death always has an element of tragedy, though not as much if one is old and is at the natural end to one's lifespan.

Death (especially an untimely death or a murder) is an evil. It is something to be avoided if one can help it.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, abuse your pet is not evil?

I eat meat, so I don't have any problem, in principle, with using non-human animals for my ends, even if there might be suffering involved. I draw the line at pets because there are human beings that suffer when pet animals are mistreated. I don't want human beings to suffer, and so I support special legal protections for pet animals.

Furthermore, I want even food animals to encounter no pointless suffering, but that is only because I don't want to see human beings nourish cruelty or insensitivity in themselves. It is again for their sake that I would want to limit suffering to animals.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
This is not what Buddhism says. If you like Buddhism, this should be a serious problem to you.
Buddha stated that things are either skillful or non-skillful; everything is subject to birth/creation, preservation, and death/destruction, but none of the three are inherently good or evil.

Upvote 0