What is a True Calvinist?

tryme

Oct 22, 2005
✟13,188.00
Faith
Calvinist
I just finished reading What is a True Calvinist? (Basics of the Reformed Faith series) by Philip Graham Ryken

I will post what I highlighted in the book.

The doctrines of grace help to preservce all that is right and good in the Christian life: humility, holiness, and thankfulness, with a passion for prayer and evangelism. The true Calvinist ought to be the most outstanding Christian - not narrow and unkind, but grounded in God's grace and therefore generous of spirit.

The true Calvinist ...keeps God at the center of everything he does. God is the center of his worship, for in true worship attention is drawn away from earthly things and reverently fixed upon God and his glory. God is also the center of the true Calvinist's thinking. His goal is to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ" and to that end his reasoning begins and ends with God.

The true Calvinist is the man or woman who wakes up in the morning saying, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner". This daily confession brings with it a healthy mistrust of one's own capacity for godliness and corresponding dependence on God for his grace. It also enables a Christian to promote God's holiness with all humility and gentleness.

The only proper response to such amazing grace is profound gratitude. If God had touched us with his mercy, thereby infallibly securing our salvation, then we must thank him with grateful hearts.

tryme

Oct 22, 2005
✟13,188.00
Faith
Calvinist
Sovereign grace constrained him to surrender his will to God's will, and thus to commit his whole life to the service of God. (talking about Isaiah's willingness to say "here I am, send me")

One way in which true Calvinists demonstrate the complete dependence of a submissive will is by making a commitment to the life of prayer. In prayer we surrender our will for God's will. Prayer is not a way of getting God to do what we want him to do; rather, it is a way of submitting to God's will in all things.

When we pray for sinners to be converted, therefore, we ask God to do something for them that we know they areutterly incapable of doing themselves. We ask God to invade their minds, change their hearts, and bend their wills so that they will come to him in faith and repentence. In short, in our intercession we depend on God to save them.

True evangelism is entirely dependent on God for its success: the regeneration of the sinner's mind and heart is the work of God's Spirit. It does not depend on the Christian's saying the right words or using the most effective techinique. The true Calvinist surrenders to God's will in sharing the gospel because God's sovereignty in the grace gives the only hope of success.

Upvote 0

tryme

Oct 22, 2005
✟13,188.00
Faith
Calvinist
Absolute dependence on God, with a complete resignation to his will, does not diminish the need for active spiritual growth. On the contrary, the true Calvinist practices the pursuit of holiness. The true Calvinist, then, is one recognizes Christ's call to holiness: "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say 'NO' to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age."

One way that God acomplishes his glory in the life of the Christian is through suffering. The Christian life is difficult, and God never promised otherwise. The fact that God is sovereign means all things (including our sufferings) serve to fulfill his ultimate purpose in bringing glory to himself. When trouble comes, the true Calvinist assumes from the outset that God is still in control and that he will accomplish his good purpose in the end. Therefore, every affliction is an opportunity for a submission to God's good and perfect will.

To summarize everything we have said thus far, the true Calvinist has a mind that is centered on God's majesty, a spirit that is sorry for sin, a heart that is full of gratitude for God's grace, and a will that submits to his holy purpose. In other words, the true Calvinist is a person whose whole person and entire life are dedicated to the glory of God.

Upvote 0

Psalmangel

Dec 29, 2005
✟333.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Seems to describe what a true Christian should be in general, regardless of denomination. It's similar to what is preached on TBN, despite of its multidenominationalness. Infact, even the pentecostals preach of surrendering to God's will. And, it is also preached that it doesn't matter how you say it/pray it, just pray it. God loves it when you pray to him, but he doesn't care the language. Paula White once preached that when you speak to God, you don't have say, 'how thou is doing." He's like a friend, no matter how you ask for it, he will provide you with waht you need... even if you speak... gangsta.

Infact, i'm beginning to see the differences between denominations fade away like tears or... dreams.

Reactions: tryme
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Seems to describe what a true Christian should be in general, regardless of denomination. It's similar to what is preached on TBN, despite of its multidenominationalness. Infact, even the pentecostals preach of surrendering to God's will. And, it is also preached that it doesn't matter how you say it/pray it, just pray it. God loves it when you pray to him, but he doesn't care the language. Paula White once preached that when you speak to God, you don't have say, 'how thou is doing." He's like a friend, no matter how you ask for it, he will provide you with waht you need... even if you speak... gangsta.

Infact, i'm beginning to see the differences between denominations fade away like tears or... dreams.
Excellent post brother.

I adhere to reformed theology to it's full extent, however we must realize that besides our theological position we MAYBE be wrong. I don't adhere that anyones theology (especially mine) as infalliable. We must remain in fellowship with our brothers and sisters besides our denominational differences.

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
however we must realize that besides our theological position we MAYBE be wrong..

...but it's not likely!
character0268.gif

Upvote 0