What is a soul?

T

TrustAndObey

I believe that the bible makes it very clear that a soul is a living human being, not a separate entity that lives within us.

I have tons of scripture to show why I feel this way and and I'd be happy to supply it if anyone wants to see it.

I think I'm just unclear as to what some people think a soul is. It's almost like they think it's a separate person or entity within us that we have no control over???

If a soul is some kind of inner self that's capable of leaving our bodies at death to LIVE on without our bodies, I have yet to see scripture for that.

I'd really like to see scripture that says a soul (or spirit for that matter) can walk, talk, think, etc outside of a living human body.

What I do see in scripture is that souls can be gathered, bought, they can touch things, eat food, hate certain foods (white bread no less), lie, lust, and die. I also see where the grave is for the soul and that a soul can be destroyed by other humans.

If it's an inner self that we aren't consciously aware of, it's scary to think we could be held accountable for what that inward self does without our knowledge that could cause us to be cut off from God.

Just curious as to what others think a soul is and why there seems to be so many differing opinions about this subject.

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA
The word/s for soul are used over 1600 times in the Bible and not one time does it say that a soul is immortal or undying. On the contrary it says in Ezek 18:4 that the soul that sinneth it shall die. So the Bible clearly tells us that souls can die and are not immortal at all.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

The word/s for soul are used over 1600 times in the Bible and not one time does it say that a soul is immortal or undying. On the contrary it says in Ezek 18:4 that the soul that sinneth it shall die. So the Bible clearly tells us that souls can die and are not immortal at all.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

I totally agree Jim, but what is your opinion of what a soul IS, as defined by scripture.

Upvote 0

Jon0388g

Veteran
Aug 11, 2006
London
✟16,667.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I also see where the grave is for the soul and that a soul can be destroyed by other humans.

Careful sis.

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28

The Bible tells us that the spirit + flesh = living soul. Take away any one of these, and the soul ceases to live.

However, the soul of a human is the seat of our emotions, our personality - many texts make this clear. I believe it is our soul which sleeps when we die the first death. Mrs White says the same spirit of rebellion and hatred the villains of old went to the grave with, the same spirit they are raised with. Nothing changes.

However, Christ makes it clear that no man can destroy the soul - something only God can accomplish, which He does at the judgment. The soul that sinneth shall die, as Jim rightfully quoted.

Jon

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

Careful sis.

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28

The Bible tells us that the spirit + flesh = living soul. Take away any one of these, and the soul ceases to live.

However, the soul of a human is the seat of our emotions, our personality - many texts make this clear. I believe it is our soul which sleeps when we die the first death. Mrs White says the same spirit of rebellion and hatred the villains of old went to the grave with, the same spirit they are raised with. Nothing changes.

However, Christ makes it clear that no man can destroy the soul - something only God can accomplish, which He does at the judgment. The soul that sinneth shall die, as Jim rightfully quoted.

Jon

But little bro, I think you missed my point.

Phone...brb.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd really like to see scripture that says a soul (or spirit for that matter) can walk, talk, think, etc outside of a living human body.
I do not have the time to debate this right now, but as you presented it there is a falacy already present.

The soul that is 'absent from the body and present with the Lord' wouldn't have a body/legs/feet/mouths/brains/etc. to walk, talk, think, etc. SDAism is STUCK with a definition of the soul as being simply 'breath'. It's difficult to think outside that small box. Using a fair amount of objectivity (removing the SDA/EGW lens that SDA's view the universe through) should help in at least making strides in understanding what the Bible ACTUALLY says (or doesn't say) about the soul. The Bible is NOT black and white on this subject, and it's NOT salvic.

In CHRIST alone...

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

I do not have the time to debate this right now, but as you presented it there is a falacy already present.

The soul that is 'absent from the body and present with the Lord' wouldn't have a body/legs/feet/mouths/brains/etc. to walk, talk, think, etc. SDAism is STUCK with a definition of the soul as being simply 'breath'. It's difficult to think outside that small box. Using a fair amount of objectivity (removing the SDA/EGW lens that SDA's view the universe through) should help in at least making strides in understanding what the Bible ACTUALLY says (or doesn't say) about the soul. The Bible is NOT black and white on this subject, and it's NOT salvic.

In CHRIST alone...

LOL, who is in error here? Adventists don't believe the soul is breath. Where did you get that from? Not one of us have said that.

MAN became a living soul when a spirit was breathed into the dust of the ground. MAN is a living soul and man is not just "breath".

FreeIndeed2 said:
The soul that is 'absent from the body and present with the Lord' wouldn't have a body/legs/feet/mouths/brains/etc. to walk, talk, think, etc.

Agreed. I don't see where Paul ever states its the soul that is absent from the body though.

If the soul doesn't have legs or thought etc, then they certainly aren't enjoying heaven anyway.

I think you kind of proved my point from the other thread.

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

Okay little bro, here's some of the verses I'm referring to:

Psalms 22:20 Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.

Psalms 7:2 Lest he tear my soul like a lion, rending [it] in pieces, while [there is] none to deliver.

There's more, but I'm tired.

Matthew 10:28 in no way negates that a soul CAN be destroyed by another human. HOWEVER, God is the only one that could destroy it forever. Amen?

Physical death is one thing, eternal death is another.

We're not to fear physical death, but oh yeah we should fear eternal death.

Psalms 49:15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA
I totally agree Jim, but what is your opinion of what a soul IS, as defined by scripture.

Good question sister. The Bible says in Gen 2:7 " And the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul."
So if we take all of the rhetorric the Bible provides us in this we can add up the components of what a soul is.

Perfectly formed dust + Breath of Life = living soul

Notice that the Bible says man became a living soul when all of the components came together. IT does not say man received a living soul as a separate entity. If you take away the breath of life what is left in our equation above? Dust and that is all. It's like a light bulb is not a light until the power is supplied then it can shine. Take away the power and it's no longer a functional light.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

Good question sister. The Bible says in Gen 2:7 " And the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul."
So if we take all of the rhetorric the Bible provides us in this we can add up the components of what a soul is.

Perfectly formed dust + Breath of Life = living soul

Notice that the Bible says man became a living soul when all of the components came together. IT does not say man received a living soul as a separate entity. If you take away the breath of life what is left in our equation above? Dust and that is all. It's like a light bulb is not a light until the power is supplied then it can shine. Take away the power and it's no longer a functional light.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

We're totally eye-to-eye on this one for sure.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LOL, who is in error here? Adventists don't believe the soul is breath. Where did you get that from? Not one of us have said that.

MAN became a living soul when a spirit was breathed into the dust of the ground. MAN is a living soul and man is not just "breath".
Straight out of the SDA curriculum for academies, and in theology/seminary classes from 3 different SDA universities.

Agreed. I don't see where Paul ever states its the soul that is absent from the body though.

If the soul doesn't have legs or thought etc, then they certainly aren't enjoying heaven anyway.
I didn't say anything about Paul, but aparently you know the passage I spoke of.

Also, you're limiting he 'soul' to being something that 'enjoys heaven'. My statement simply indicated that the 'soul' is NOT physical. Why would something have to be physical in order to exist. You're still thinking 'body, mind, legs, hands, feet, etc.'. We were created in the image of God (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit). If you believe this then there is certainly room in Scripture for us to be body(Jesus), mind(God), and soul(Holy Spirit).

I think you kind of proved my point from the other thread.
I don't know what thread you're referring to. Sorry.

In CHRIST alone...

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

Straight out of the SDA curriculum for academies, and in theology/seminary classes from 3 different SDA universities.

Are you mistaking spirit with soul when you say this?

Adventists believe that the spirit is the breath and life essence of a human being (soul), but we do not believe that a soul is merely breath.

Job's spirit was in his nostrils.

Jesus breathed on the disciples and told them to receive the Holy Spirit. (John 20)

Adventists believe that a body and breath in the nostrils equals a living soul (Genesis 2:7). We also believe that without that breath (spirit) we are just dead bodies.

If you get the chance, look up some of these verses: Leviticus 21:11, Numbers 6:6, Numbers 9:6, Numbers 19:13. There's more but you'll get the general idea. In all of those verses, the word nephesh is translated to dead body.

The word nephesh is the same word translated to "soul" in other verses of the Old Testament.

Free said:
I didn't say anything about Paul, but aparently you know the passage I spoke of.

Oh yeah, I know all the verses people use to say the soul has immortality before the resurrection.

Free said:
Also, you're limiting he 'soul' to being something that 'enjoys heaven'. My statement simply indicated that the 'soul' is NOT physical. Why would something have to be physical in order to exist. You're still thinking 'body, mind, legs, hands, feet, etc.'. We were created in the image of God (God, Jesus, Holy Spirit). If you believe this then there is certainly room in Scripture for us to be body(Jesus), mind(God), and soul(Holy Spirit).

Then what is a soul? What does the BIBLE say it is? That's my question.

Free said:
I don't know what thread you're referring to. Sorry.

Sorry about that. I thought right after I posted that and signed out, "he's not going to have any idea what I'm talking about." It's a thread I've been in all day with Lebesgue "Are there any SDAs out there that disagree with the doctrine of the state of the dead" right here in the D/D section.

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

In CHRIST alone...

free, which came first? 1 Corinthians 15:51-52 or 2 Corinthians 5:8?

1 Cor 15:51
Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 1 Cor 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

2 Cor 5:8 We are confident, [I say], and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Was Paul needlessly confusing the Corinthians?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
TrustandObey,

I would like to offer another perspective, the historical Judeo-Christian perspective whose premise is based on Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and History. I believe this premise warrants a particularly specific conclusion that disagrees with your current understanding.

The doctrines endemic to Judaism were not deposited completed and ready to consume like a dollop of mash potatoes dumped on your plate in a cafeteria line, they developed over time. Mash potatoes first need to be planted, grown, harvested and prepared before they reach the state familiar to all of us when they sit on our plate.

This analogy works the same way with Christian Doctrines and very few of them were dumped onto a plate already in mash potato form.

The understanding of Judaism at the time Ecclesiastes 9 was written denied dualistic belief that necessities belief in a person’s spirit. The author emphatically states that “the same destiny” overtakes both the wicked and the just and that “they both have no further reward”.

Because the Author of Ecclesiastes believed that God’s mercy and favors were metered out in the here and now (under the sun) in the same way the Sadducees did, then nothing existed after death. The Sadducees believed that the Pharisees had been perverted by Hellenism and therefore rejected prophecy and were very materialistic attempting to glue themselves to whatever ruling power existed next to them. This is a very important point to understand when moving forward from Ecclesiastes because the teaching from Our Lord Jesus Christ rejected the Sadducees in that He omitted them from the God Established Religious Authority tasked with teaching correct doctrines;

“Then spake Jesus to the multitudes, and to His disciples, Saying the Scribes and Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works; for they say and do not”. Matthew 23

Moses’ seat was very serious in Judaism because this teaching authority was tasked by God to “interpret” the books of the law and prophets to the masses so rejection of God’s Established Authority was tantamount to holding God in contempt (please read the whole Chapter of Numbers 16). Also important to note that while Jesus clearly said the Pharisees and Scribes were hypocrites He made it a point to remind the multitudes as well as His disciples to do whatever they said because while they didn’t practice what they preached they preached correct doctrines.

Now, here comes the kicker, Jesus believed in an immortal soul as did “all” Jews at that time (with the exception of the Sadducees).

“But when Paul perceived that one part were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the Council, “Brethren, I AM A PHARISEE, a son of Pharisees; with the respect to the hope and resurrection of the dead I am on trial. And when he had said this, a dissension arose between the Pharisees and the Sadducees ; and the assembly was divided. FOR THE SADDUCEES SAY THAT THERE IS NO RESURRECTION, NOR ANGEL, NOR SPIRIT; BUT THE PHARISEES ACKNOWLEDGE THEM ALL”. Acts 23,6

“The poor man died and was carried by the angles to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried; and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes, and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus in his bosom”. Luke 16,22

“And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come in your kingly power”. And He said to him, “Truly, I say to you, TODAY YOU WILL BE WITH ME IN PARADISE”. Luke 23,42

“Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: Handle me, and see; FOR A SPIRIT HATH NOT FLESH AND BONES, AS YOU SEE ME HAVE”. Luke 24,39

“Then said Samuel, “whenfore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord has departed from thee and is become thine enemy”. 1 Samuel 28,16

“And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: But rather fear Him which is able to destroy both body and soul in hell”. Matthew 10,28

“But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep that ye sorrow not, even as those which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him”. 1 Thessalonians 4,13

“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If it is to be life in the flesh , that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. MY DESIRE IS TO DEPART AND BE WITH CHRIST, FOR THAT IS FAR BETTER. But to REMAIN IN THE FLESH is more necessary on your account. Philippians 1,21

“For the Son of man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born”. Mark 14,21

I have went to the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists and read the fundamental belief associated with this thread and believe it to be incorrect. It’s like Seventh-day Adventists have reverse engineered Ecclesiastes and attempted to bend what seems to me to be the clear teaching of the Prophets in the Old Testament and the explicit teachings of the New Testament, specifically Christ’s own words that the thief would be with him in Paradise on the very day Jesus was made a “quickening Spirit”.

Normally one would reverse engineer a completed machine to see how it is made but in this case (and I mean no disrespect) a non-doctrine was reverse engineered in order to destroy a crystal clear doctrine that Jesus and His Apostles unequivocally accepted.

Paul was a New Testament heavy-weight and he flat-out said he believed in Angels, the Resurrection and a spiritual soul. Paul said he would rather his soul leave his body (as in be dead) and be with Christ. If fundamental belief #26 of the General Conference is correct then Paul wouldn’t know if he was with Christ because he would be unconscious. Which reminds me of a Scripture that makes me cringe when I apply Seventh-day Adventist teaching to it;

“ And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God. Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, and cast him out of the city; and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their cloths at a young mans feet, whose name was Saul. And as they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit”. And he knelt down and cried with a loud voice, “Lord do not hold this against them”. And when he had said this he fell asleep”. Acts 7, 56

Stephen asks the Lord Jesus to receive his (Stephen’s) spirit and at the moment of death God strikes the spirit of Stephen a sharp blow rending it unconscious, because as the Sadducees say, there is no spirit.

I know this is a differing opinion about this subject but you did ask for it.

Upvote 0

Jon0388g

Veteran
Aug 11, 2006
London
✟16,667.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Okay little bro, here's some of the verses I'm referring to:

Psalms 22:20 Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.

Psalms 7:2 Lest he tear my soul like a lion, rending [it] in pieces, while [there is] none to deliver.

There's more, but I'm tired.

Matthew 10:28 in no way negates that a soul CAN be destroyed by another human. HOWEVER, God is the only one that could destroy it forever. Amen?

Physical death is one thing, eternal death is another.

We're not to fear physical death, but oh yeah we should fear eternal death.

Psalms 49:15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.

Ok, I misunderstood.

Amen!!

Jon

Upvote 0

Jon0388g

Veteran
Aug 11, 2006
London
✟16,667.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
TrustandObey,

I would like to offer another perspective, the historical Judeo-Christian perspective whose premise is based on Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and History. I believe this premise warrants a particularly specific conclusion that disagrees with your current understanding.

The doctrines endemic to Judaism were not deposited completed and ready to consume like a dollop of mash potatoes dumped on your plate in a cafeteria line, they developed over time. Mash potatoes first need to be planted, grown, harvested and prepared before they reach the state familiar to all of us when they sit on our plate.

This analogy works the same way with Christian Doctrines and very few of them were dumped onto a plate already in mash potato form.

The understanding of Judaism at the time Ecclesiastes 9 was written denied dualistic belief that necessities belief in a person’s spirit. The author emphatically states that “the same destiny” overtakes both the wicked and the just and that “they both have no further reward”.

Because the Author of Ecclesiastes believed that God’s mercy and favors were metered out in the here and now (under the sun) in the same way the Sadducees did, then nothing existed after death. The Sadducees believed that the Pharisees had been perverted by Hellenism and therefore rejected prophecy and were very materialistic attempting to glue themselves to whatever ruling power existed next to them. This is a very important point to understand when moving forward from Ecclesiastes because the teaching from Our Lord Jesus Christ rejected the Sadducees in that He omitted them from the God Established Religious Authority tasked with teaching correct doctrines;

“Then spake Jesus to the multitudes, and to His disciples, Saying the Scribes and Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works; for they say and do not”. Matthew 23

Moses’ seat was very serious in Judaism because this teaching authority was tasked by God to “interpret” the books of the law and prophets to the masses so rejection of God’s Established Authority was tantamount to holding God in contempt (please read the whole Chapter of Numbers 16). Also important to note that while Jesus clearly said the Pharisees and Scribes were hypocrites He made it a point to remind the multitudes as well as His disciples to do whatever they said because while they didn’t practice what they preached they preached correct doctrines.

Now, here comes the kicker, Jesus believed in an immortal soul as did “all” Jews at that time (with the exception of the Sadducees).

“But when Paul perceived that one part were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the Council, “Brethren, I AM A PHARISEE, a son of Pharisees; with the respect to the hope and resurrection of the dead I am on trial. And when he had said this, a dissension arose between the Pharisees and the Sadducees ; and the assembly was divided. FOR THE SADDUCEES SAY THAT THERE IS NO RESURRECTION, NOR ANGEL, NOR SPIRIT; BUT THE PHARISEES ACKNOWLEDGE THEM ALL”. Acts 23,6

“The poor man died and was carried by the angles to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried; and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes, and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus in his bosom”. Luke 16,22

“And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come in your kingly power”. And He said to him, “Truly, I say to you, TODAY YOU WILL BE WITH ME IN PARADISE”. Luke 23,42

“Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: Handle me, and see; FOR A SPIRIT HATH NOT FLESH AND BONES, AS YOU SEE ME HAVE”. Luke 24,39

“Then said Samuel, “whenfore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord has departed from thee and is become thine enemy”. 1 Samuel 28,16

“And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: But rather fear Him which is able to destroy both body and soul in hell”. Matthew 10,28

“But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep that ye sorrow not, even as those which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him”. 1 Thessalonians 4,13

“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If it is to be life in the flesh , that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. MY DESIRE IS TO DEPART AND BE WITH CHRIST, FOR THAT IS FAR BETTER. But to REMAIN IN THE FLESH is more necessary on your account. Philippians 1,21

“For the Son of man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born”. Mark 14,21

I have went to the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists and read the fundamental belief associated with this thread and believe it to be incorrect. It’s like Seventh-day Adventists have reverse engineered Ecclesiastes and attempted to bend what seems to me to be the clear teaching of the Prophets in the Old Testament and the explicit teachings of the New Testament, specifically Christ’s own words that the thief would be with him in Paradise on the very day Jesus was made a “quickening Spirit”.

Normally one would reverse engineer a completed machine to see how it is made but in this case (and I mean no disrespect) a non-doctrine was reverse engineered in order to destroy a crystal clear doctrine that Jesus and His Apostles unequivocally accepted.

Paul was a New Testament heavy-weight and he flat-out said he believed in Angels, the Resurrection and a spiritual soul. Paul said he would rather his soul leave his body (as in be dead) and be with Christ. If fundamental belief #26 of the General Conference is correct then Paul wouldn’t know if he was with Christ because he would be unconscious. Which reminds me of a Scripture that makes me cringe when I apply Seventh-day Adventist teaching to it;

“ And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God. Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, and cast him out of the city; and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their cloths at a young mans feet, whose name was Saul. And as they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit”. And he knelt down and cried with a loud voice, “Lord do not hold this against them”. And when he had said this he fell asleep”. Acts 7, 56

Stephen asks the Lord Jesus to receive his (Stephen’s) spirit and at the moment of death God strikes the spirit of Stephen a sharp blow rending it unconscious, because as the Sadducees say, there is no spirit.

I know this is a differing opinion about this subject but you did ask for it.

Pythons,

This is quite a large post, could you break it down into smaller points so we could all discuss and go through them more thoroughly?

The main point that struck me is you're assertion that Jesus Christ believed in an immortal soul, basing this on

"And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, today shalt thou be with Me in paradise." Luke 23:43

I'm sure you know that the punctuation of English translation is entirely arbitrary. See if this makes any difference:

"And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee today, thou shalt be with Me in paradise." Luke 23:43

Small comma, big difference, no?

Even more significant, this verse cannot be used to prove the thief ascended to heaven with Jesus that day, specifically since Jesus said 3 days later,

"Jesus saith unto her, Touch Me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." John 20:17

Jon

Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Pythons,

This is quite a large post, could you break it down into smaller points so we could all discuss and go through them more thoroughly?

The main point that struck me is you're assertion that Jesus Christ believed in an immortal soul, basing this on

"And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, today shalt thou be with Me in paradise." Luke 23:43

I'm sure you know that the punctuation of English translation is entirely arbitrary. See if this makes any difference:

"And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee today, thou shalt be with Me in paradise." Luke 23:43

Small comma, big difference, no?

Even more significant, this verse cannot be used to prove the thief ascended to heaven with Jesus that day, specifically since Jesus said 3 days later,

"Jesus saith unto her, Touch Me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." John 20:17

Jon

Excellent point Jon. If Jesus had not yet ascended to the Father, then using the argument posed, it would only be proper to ask, "When did the thief ascend into Heaven?"

In that the scriptures are completely silent on the matter one would have to make an assumption based on non-scriptural orthodoxy to get the Bible to say what it does not say.

Upvote 0

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA

This does not square with scripture at all like John 11:11 or many other verses. Your stance on Ecc 9 is not taking the Bible as it is read either. There is no reverse enginneering of those texts and Solomon was not the only one who held the belief that when you die your thoughts perish and you know nothing. Look at Ps 146:4

His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

This does not teach us that Christ believed in an immortal soul at all but teaches us that a good life will be rewarded and a selfish life won't. There is no scripture that supports that those in hell will be able to speak to those in Abraham's bossom. This is a parable and as such it only takes on literalness if Christ would have said something like He did so many other times when He gave a parable i.e. "So shall it be" at the time of death or at the end of the world etc. The problem is He never said that here so we take it as a story only with a moral lesson not literal facts.

The problem with this is Christ didn't go to paradise that day because right after His resurrection He told Mary not to touch Him because He had not ascended to His Father yet. The theif may not have died that day either. They came and broke their legs at the going down of the sun so they could take them off of the cross over the Sabbath.

I don't have time to go into this extensively but Christ had just went thru a closed door right before He said that. Solid bodies can't do that as far as we know. So how did He do that? The Bible says we don't know exactly what we will become but we know we will be like Him. I believe Christ's ability to disaccociate His matter and go thru walls or doors is something a glorified body will be able to do. This does not mean that He had a spirit separate from His body.

This is a familiar spirit speaking and not Samuel. The Bible warns extensively against dealing with Familiar spirits.

Here Christ is merely telling those around Him that souls can die. Your position is that souls are immortal which this text clearly refutes.

There's nothing wrong with this text if you remember which way "He'll bring them with Him". The text clearly says that HE resurrects the righteous first then He will brings them with HIm back to heaven, not bring them with Him from heaven.

Again, if taken the way you are implying then we would have to throw out a lot of other texts that clearly tells us that we get our reward when Christ comes at the resurrection not at death. Look at Rev 22:11-12

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Please show that scripture that says the theif would be with Him when He became a quickening spirit.

This is a false accusation brother, sorry.

If you look at the word spirit there it is pneumos or breath. God gives the breath of life once we die God receives it back that is all Stephen is saying here. You make a lot of assumptions on the writings of Paul that he just doesn't actually support. The desire to have an immortal soul is very strong in humans. I understand why we want so desparately to be that way. The problem is there is nothing in the scripture that tells us that our souls are immortal right now. The word/s for soul is used over 1600 times in the Bible and not one time does it say they are immortal or undying. On the contrary in Ezek 18:4 it says the soul that sins it shall die.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

Upvote 0