• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What is a Day According to God?

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by Faith712, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Faith712

Faith712 Newbie

+131
    Methodist
    Single
    Hello everyone! Good morning! :)

I now know that the Sabbath is on the 7th day but I am confused about what a day is according to God. Is it evening to evening or evening to morning? In Genesis, it says evening to morning or afternoon.

So what is a day according to God? Once I nail it, I'll be able to keep the Sabbath Holy like God commanded. :)

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. adderbolt

adderbolt Member

+141
    United States
    Reformed
    Divorced
    How will you keep the sabbath holy?

No shopping or spending money?
    No movies, TV or outside entertainment?
    No Bar-B-Qing or picnics?
    No Sunday newspapers or magazines?
    What? how?

3. NomNomPizza

NomNomPizza Active Member

+129
    Poland
    Christian
    Private
    day is day simple as that
    it can be 24h it can be 12h it can be 48h
    if its short its considered short day
    if long then its long day

4. NomNomPizza

+129
    Poland
    Christian
    Private
    Why would I want to keep Sabbath holy tho?

5. NomNomPizza

+129
    Poland
    Christian
    Private
    Sabbath is not just 7th day but any high or feast day is Sabbath u can have 3 Sabbaths in 1 week.

6. Norbert L

Norbert L Well-Known Member Supporter

+794
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Given the question, "Is it evening to evening or evening to morning?" I imagine if the answer is from evening to morning, there's a good chance to sleep through the entire time period and thus, none of those concerns you mention would present a problem.:holy:

7. Handmaid for Jesus

Handmaid for Jesus You can't steal my joy Supporter

+29,261
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    Psalm 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.
    2Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
    John 11:9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world

8. Bob Crowley

Bob Crowley Well-Known Member Supporter

+984
    Australia
    Catholic
    Married
    God sets His alarm clock at 6am in the morning and goes to bed promptly at 10pm. Although sometimes He hits the snooze button if He's had a hard day.

Reminds me of the comedian who said he does twenty sit-ups before breakfast every day. He said he could only hit the snooze button so many times.

Just kidding.

Days are for us, not God. He sees the universe from beginning to end all at the same time.

Different cultures treat or conceive of time differently.

How Different Cultures Understand Time

Christ's death and resurrection didn't take 3 days as Westerners would have understood it - more like 39 hours or less than two days. We'd have said 3pm Saturday was one day, 3pm Sunday was day two, 3pm Monday was day three.

God's the author of life, and like the author of a book, he can allocate time to a particular character as He sees fit. If He wants to skip ahead hundreds of years to look at political developments in the year 2645 He can, and if wants to spend all day looking at the reasons for someone's moral or immoral decision which took place in a minute, He can do that too.

Meanwhile we will understand days and time according to the culture we live in, whatever it may be.

9. adderbolt

adderbolt Member

+141
    United States
    Reformed
    Divorced
    Interestingly first century Israelites had a consistent view of a day (daylight) as being divided into 12 hours. And that meant that one of their winter daylight hours could be about as short as 45 minutes; while a summer solstice hour of theirs could be as long as about 75 minutes.

So anyway Jesus, in the John 11, text is speaking of daylight hours only; not a (24 hour) day and a night long.

(And by the way the "hours" that our Lord spent on the cross were all longer than 60 minutes each.)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  10. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+9,778
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    He meant there are twelve hours of daylight in a 24 hour day.

11. OldWiseGuy

+9,778
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Friday at sundown until Saturday at sundown: the weekly Sabbath.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  12. OldWiseGuy

+9,778
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    We keep it holy by resting on the day as God intended for us. Not so easy in this time but needed nonetheless.

13. 1watchman

1watchman Overseer Supporter

+1,017
    Christian
    Married
    The 'Sabbath' was given for Israel to remember God's work of creation and finished work after six days. So they were to rest as God did from His work in the beginning. Christians who now have the redemption of God in His "beloved Son" --the Lord Jesus (Israel's Messiah who they killed) who rose from the dead and came to give the "gift of God" ---eternal life for all who will receive Him. The Sabbath was important to Israel, but the Lord's Day (first day of our week) speaks of resurrection and Christians are called to worship the Lord Jesus and not the Israelite religion.

14. OldWiseGuy

+9,778
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    It is the common belief that "The Lord's Day" is the "Day of the Lord", the time when Christ returns in power. The Sabbath day is still the 7th day of the week (for those who choose to keep it). Nowhere has God ordained the 1st day of the week as the weekly Sabbath day.

15. honey badger

honey badger i am

+332
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    the time/chasm between the beginning and the end ...

16. Palmfever

Palmfever Active Member Supporter

+173
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    At the North and South Poles during the winter, a single night can last up to six months, which is known as a “polar night”. During the summer, the poles will experience what is called a “midnight sun”, where a day lasts a full 24 hours. So really, days are not as simple as we like to imagine. But compared to the other planets in the Solar System, time management is still easier here on Earth.

Mercury — 84.450 minutes / 807,5 hours / 58,67 days — 87,97 days

• Venus — 349.920 minutes / 5832 hours / 243 days — 224,65 days
    • Earth — 1440 minutes / 24 hours — 365,26 days
    • Mars — 1480 minutes / 24,67 hours — 687 days / 1,88 years
    • Jupiter — 596 minutes / 9,93 hours — 4300 days / 11,86 years
    • Saturn — 642 minutes / 10,7 hours — 10.832 days / 29,68 years
    • Uranus — 1034 minutes / 17,23 hours — 31.000 days / 84,93 years
    • Neptune — 966 minutes / 16,1 hours — 60.200 days / 164,9 years

17. 1watchman

1watchman Overseer Supporter

+1,017
    Christian
    Married
    The 'Lord's day' for the saints NOW is the FIRST day of the week in honor of Christ's arising from the dead and coming as the Savior ---NOT His coming to reign, which reign is referred to as "the day of the Lord'. See any sound Bible commentary on this.

18. OldWiseGuy

+9,778
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    The reason Sunday was designated as the new Sabbath was to expunge any remnant of Judaizing when the church came under the control of Rome. Nothing biblical.

19. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+2,910
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Psalm 90:4King James Version (KJV) 4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

20. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,014
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The church by 150AD was already worshiping on the first day of the week as recorded by Justin Martyr in his "First Apology". The church was still being persecuted by Rome at this point in time.

But Sunday (in Greek it is called Κυριακή (Kyriakí)) is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead.​