Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
You're snippy at anyone who doesn't have your world view
Not really, although I can be snippy for other reasons. I'll try to stop.

• Friendly
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.
(Matthew 4)

Christ invites people to follow Him long before He reveals any of His teachings. It's not about agreeing with the teachings, it's about recognising Christ, and trusting Him. If it was just about agreeing with the teaching, it would be no better than any other religion.
It is true that one can know Jesus before being hearing His teachings, but, people can stop following Jesus because of His teachings.
John 6:61-66," When Jesus knew in Himself that his disciples murmured at him He said to them, Does this offend you? What and if you shall see the son of man ascend up where he was before? It is the spirit that quickens; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak to you, they are spirit and they are life. But there are some of you that believe not... From that time many of His disciples went back, and walked no more with Him."

Somebody could start out following Jesus for what ever means that God drew them to Him, but if they don't accept His teachings, then they will inevitably turn away from Him. As Jesus points out, it is His words that gives life. That should be what we focus on if we want life.

In peace

• Agree
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Post-Evangelical, Social Anarchist, One of The Way
Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It is true that one can know Jesus before being hearing His teachings, but, people can stop following Jesus because of His teachings.
Yep, I have to agree with that. There is also the case of Jesus and the rich young man (Mark 10:17).

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Somebody could start out following Jesus for what ever means that God drew them to Him, but if they don't accept His teachings, then they will inevitably turn away from Him. As Jesus points out, it is His words that gives life. That should be what we focus on if we want life.

Look at how many within the church drew away then and now because His Gospel of the Kingdom condemns the world man has made. Today they remain Christian but ignore His words for that reason also, especially the politically affiliated. The church that joined the State 1700 years ago also made Christianity over in their own image while rejecting Jesus' Gospel of the Kingdom, building their self serving institution on the words of another..

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Look at how many within the church drew away then and now because His Gospel of the Kingdom condemns the world man has made...
People will do whatever they can to defend the world that the devil has set up. This is a sad reality. However, we should rejoice that we have the truth of Jesus to rely on. A rock that can't be easily moved or shaken (Matthew 7:23-25).

Though this good news people are experiencing that has accepted Jesus' terms, some are still lost and looking for the Shepherd. This reality also encourages me to want and spend more time spreading the good news of the kingdom, rather than distracting myself with the cares and lusts of this world.

In peace

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Asking what a Christian is, is like asking what an automobile is. There are all makes and models but ultimately the purpose is to get from point A to point B, in the case of a Christian, away from the world and rule of man and on into the Kingdom. Problem is many on route fail to read the map and end up detouring back to the world of man thinking just because they started out on the road they are automatically there.

Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
This is a CHRISTIANS ONLY area. You may not criticise the Nicene Creed here.
I wasn't criticising the Nicene Creed, I was attempting to discuss it. Not the same thing at all.
Christians have discussed - and even disagreed with - bits of the Nicene creed through the centuries. (Although that did cause a bit of trouble around 1054; too soon maybe?) ;-)

Which version of the Nicene Creed do you prefer?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't criticising the Nicene Creed, I was attempting to discuss it. Not the same thing at all.
Christians have discussed - and even disagreed with - bits of the Nicene creed through the centuries. (Although that did cause a bit of trouble around 1054; too soon maybe?) ;-)

Which version of the Nicene Creed do you prefer?

Under the CF rules, which you agreed to when you signed up, you must (if you want to post in Christians Only areas) agree to the version of the Nicene Creed that's in the CF rules.

That version of the Nicene Creed is not up for debate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

greenguzzi

Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Under the CF rules, which you agreed to when you signed up, you must agree (if you want to post in Christians Only areas) to the version of the Nicene Creed that's in the CF rules.

That version of the Nicene Creed is not up for debate.
Cool! Because that's my favourite version too! Which I do agree with BTW. But I don't see why we can't respectfully discuss it anyway. For example, does the Filioque constitute non-Nicene theology? It's not clear from the rules what the forum bosses think.

However, I probably shouldn't have raised outside the Controversial Theology forum, but the subject sort of came up organically.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the trouble to call me out. I'll be more careful in the future.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I don't see why we can't respectfully discuss it anyway.

It's impossible to debate the Nicene creed without breaking the rules.

We once had a very good thread explaining it line by line, but that's different.

Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It's impossible to debate the Nicene creed without breaking the rules.
You keep putting words in my mouth, I'm pretty sure that's against the rules too. I said "discuss", not "debate".
You didn't answer my question about the Filioque.

Upvote 0