Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
How does the Bible define a Christian? From what I can tell this forum reflects the thoughts of the majority of Christianity as to what is required in order to be accepted as a Christian. But is that Biblical?

I'm posting a definition for Christian that is taken from dictionary.com as a starting point for the discussion.

adjective

1. of, relating to, or derived from Jesus Christ or His teachings: a Christian faith.

2. of, pertaining to, believing in, or belonging to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ :
Spain is a Christian country.

3. of or relating to Christians: many Christian deaths in the Crusades.

4. exhibiting a spirit proper to a follower of Jesus Christ; Christlike: She displayed true Christian charity.

5. decent; respectable: They gave him a good Christian burial.

6. human; not brutal; humane: Such behavior isn't Christian.

noun

7. a person who believes in Jesus Christ; adherent of Christianity.

8. a person who exemplifies in his or her life the teachings of Christ : He died like a true Christian.

9. a member of any of certain Protestant churches, as the Disciples of Christ and the Plymouth Brethren.

10. the hero of Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress.

11. a male given name.

(I wasn't able to find the forum definition of Christian. If anyone could help me with that I'd appreciate it. I would also be interested in seeing the official definition of Christian coming from any of the major denominations out there.)

:)

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Okay, here is the forum definition of non-Christian (since there really isn't a definition of Christian).

"Faith groups that deny the full, eternal deity of Jesus Christ or His incarnation whereby He, as God, took on human flesh (becoming fully God and fully man in one person), are considered non-Christians at CF."

Now we have something to work from. Where in the Bible does it state:

1. You must accept the full, eternal deity of Jesus Christ in order to be a Christian?

2. You must accept the concept that Jesus took on human flesh and was fully God and fully man in order to be Christian?

I will be posting verses that identify Christians and see if any portion of the requirement above is included.

(I'm still interested in including the official statements from any of the major denominations.)

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I decided not to reply.

I am asking for Biblical support for the belief I have outlined in the OP. I am not interested in having a discussion with a series of links (other than to see the official stance some of the Churches have on what constitutes a Christian.)

That being said, I found this portion of the article interesting:

"A true Christian is a person who has put faith and trust in the person and work of Jesus Christ, including His death on the cross as payment for sins and His resurrection on the third day. John 1:12 tells us, “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” The mark of a true Christian is love for others and obedience to God’s Word (1 John 2:4, 10). A true Christian is indeed a child of God, a part of God’s true family, and one who has been given new life in Jesus Christ."

The link you provided defines a Christian as:

1. A person who has put faith and trust in Jesus Christ.

2. A person who loves others.

3. A person who obeys the Word of God.

4. A person who has been given new life in Jesus.

None of these involve the portion of Christian belief that I am questioning in this thread.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
If you want to debate the CF position go to MSC.

I clearly stated that I was debating the Christian position on this matter - which happens to coincide with the CF position. Posts are made by the "Christian" members of the forum all the time which reflect the same position.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This is not the proper forum to debate CF policy/rules.

I'm not debating CF policy rules. I am discussing the definition of Christian (as I have pointed out twice now). CF reflects the beliefs of the majority of the Christians on this forum who I have discussed this matter with previously. That makes the Statement of Faith a good starting point for the discussion. I have asked for official definitions from the denominations to be provided and have included one from Catholic.com.

More to the point, I am asking for Biblical definitions of what it means to be a Christian since I disagree with what has traditionally been offered on the forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
CF won't be changing it's definition of who is considered a Christian on this forum. Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the all-powerful and eternal God, Jesus was not a created spiritual being. Jesus was not the first born spirit child of God. Jesus took on flesh through the incarnation of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary.

He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. -- Colossians 1:17

Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." -- John 8:53

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." -- John 1:1-5

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are one.” -- John 10:27

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
CF won't be changing it's definition of who is a Christian.

That's nice. The problem is I haven't asked them to change their definition. It appears to be the moderators who are focused on that - not me. The single most common statement that is made to the LDS is that we are not Christian. The qualification they give for this stance just happens to coincide with the CF Statement of Belief. As I understood it, the Statement of Belief is supposed to reflect the general Christian view on the topic. I have asked for further definition and I have asked for Biblical support for any of the definitions that are provided.

Please, stop making this about CF rules when it isn't.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the all-powerful and eternal God, Jesus was not a created spiritual being. Jesus was not the first born spirit child of God. Jesus took on flesh through the incarnation of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary.

Christians can believe a great many things, but I am asking for Biblical support for the notion that a person must believe any of this in order to be considered a Christian. Allow me to redefine my statement. I am looking for Biblical support that a person must believe any of these in order for God to consider them to be a Christian.

He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. -- Colossians 1:17

Doesn't support the notion that a person has to believe this in order to be a Christian.

Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." -- John 8:53

Ditto.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." -- John 1:1-5

Ditto.

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are one.” -- John 10:27

Ditto.

Upvote 0

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's nice. The problem is I haven't asked them to change their definition. It appears to be the moderators who are focused on that - not me. The single most common statement that is made to the LDS is that we are not Christian. The qualification they give for this stance just happens to coincide with the CF Statement of Belief. As I understood it, the Statement of Belief is supposed to reflect the general Christian view on the topic. I have asked for further definition and I have asked for Biblical support for any of the definitions that are provided.

Please, stop making this about CF rules when it isn't.

Does the Mormon religion believe that Jesus Christ is eternal God (has always existed), and that He is equal to the Father?

From the SoF:
Begotten of the Father before all ages. (John 1:2)
Light of Light; (Psalm 27:1; John 8:12; Matthew 17:2,5)
True God of True God; (John 17:1-5)
Begotten, not made; (John 1:18)
of one essence with the Father (John 10:30)
by whom all things were made; (Hebrews 1:1-2)

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I have a question for mainstream Christians here:

I have a friend, in her 40's, whom recently came to Christ (about a year ago). She raised in a Soviet country where talking about God where even speaking about deity warranted arrest, so this publicly proclaiming God is very new to her. She professes a love for Christ, attends her Evangelical church every Sunday, and goes to Bible study every Wednesday. But she does not believe in the Trinity (mostly because she can't get her head around it).

Would CF call my friend a Christian? How about you personally?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Does the Mormon religion believe that Jesus Christ is eternal God (has always existed), and that He is equal to the Father?

From the SoF:
Begotten of the Father before all ages. (John 1:2)
Light of Light; (Psalm 27:1; John 8:12; Matthew 17:2,5)
True God of True God; (John 17:1-5)
Begotten, not made; (John 1:18)
of one essence with the Father (John 10:30)
by whom all things were made; (Hebrews 1:1-2)

I'm pretty sure the Statement of Purpose for this particular forum is the exploration of Christian views - not Mormon. I am asking you, as a Staff Member, to stick to the topic in the OP - which is Biblical support for what defines a Christian. If you want to find fault with the Mormons I suggest you start a thread in the appropriate forum.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing that one MUST believe to be a Christian. There are, however, things Christians will believe. Regeneration is solely an act of the will of God (see John 3). After that, one will believe. So whether or not one is a Christian isn't what God Will accept. It's what He does.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

I have a friend, in her 40's, whom recently came to Christ (about a year ago). She raised in a Soviet country where talking about God where even speaking about deity warranted arrest, so this publicly proclaiming God is very new to her. She professes a love for Christ, attends her Evangelical church every Sunday, and goes to Bible study every Wednesday. But she does not believe in the Trinity (mostly because she can't get her head around it).

Please, this thread is not about what CF defines as Christian. It is in response to the numerous statements made by the members about what is and isn't a Christian. The CF rules just happen to be the concept they most often recite as the reason.

:(

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Belief in the trinity isn't a requirement for regeneration. It will come in time, though. So it's too early to tell concerning your friend.

Upvote 0

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians can believe a great many things, but I am asking for Biblical support for the notion that a person must believe any of this in order to be considered a Christian. Allow me to redefine my statement. I am looking for Biblical support that a person must believe any of these in order for God to consider them to be a Christian.

Jesus said:

He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” -- John 3:36

I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me." -- John 14:16

What are we to believe? We are to believe all the Jesus taught about Himself (which includes the fact that he did not stop anyone from worshiping Him, which He would have known was reserved only for God):

"Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." -- John 8:53

But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins”—he then said to the paralytic—“Rise, pick up your bed and go home.” And he rose and went home. When the crowds saw it, they were afraid, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to men. -- Matthew 9:4-8

Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.”

Jesus said in Matthew 4:10, "You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve."

Jesus heard that they had cast him out, and having found him he said, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?” He answered, “And who is he, sir, that I may believe in him?” Jesus said to him, “You have seen him, and it is he who is speaking to you.” He said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him. -- John 9:35-38

And behold, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they came up and took hold of His feet and worshiped Him. -- Matthew 28:9

But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." The woman said to Him, "I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when that One comes, he will declare all things to us." Jesus said to her, "I who speak to you am he." -- John 4:23-26

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.