What if your spouse wanted to do plural marriage?

Catholic Wife

Senior Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟17,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
First, he definitely would not find another woman who would put up with all of his quirks and eccentricities.

Second, he can have another wife only if she does all the cooking, cleaning and laundry, too, so I can sit around eating bon-bons all day. :yum: Oh, and I would want my own room so I don't have to suffer through his snoring at night. :sleep: And I would insist on my own home so I don't have to put up with another woman trying to be the "alpha female" in my home. :ebil: And he'd better find another job to support us all.

Finally, he'd better find another religious affiliation because, somehow, I don't think the Catholic Church (or his parents) would condone this. :preach:

Upvote 0

TankGirl

I'm normal, it's everyone else who's stiff
Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, he definitely would not find another woman who would put up with all of his quirks and eccentricities.

Second, he can have another wife only if she does all the cooking, cleaning and laundry, too, so I can sit around eating bon-bons all day. :yum: Oh, and I would want my own room so I don't have to suffer through his snoring at night. :sleep: And I would insist on my own home so I don't have to put up with another woman trying to be the "alpha female" in my home. :ebil: And he'd better find another job to support us all.

Finally, he'd better find another religious affiliation because, somehow, I don't think the Catholic Church (or his parents) would condone this. :preach:
Not looking hopeful for him, is it? :D

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lol, I said to my husband ''darling, if you ever feel like bringing home another man to be my second husband, feel free''
and he said ''what have they been talking about on CF this time?''

He knows me so well.

ROFL!

Upvote 0

OnTheWay

Nov 21, 2005
✟6,746.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, "plural marriage" can refer to polyamory, which is also not swinging. It's three or more people all in one relationship, and all sexually involved.

I find the idea revolting, myself.

Polygamy, as such, is a historical practice rooted in a man taking more than one wife in a legal and/or religious sense. Many swingers develop "regulars" with whom they share partners or sexual relations often. That certainly could fall under the title of polyamory. Given that polyamory is largely a rejection of tradition notions of marriage and relationships, logic would dictate it would not include "plural marriage," whether those marriages fall into polygamy or polyandry. A major focus of polyamory is the fluidity of relationships, that precludes marriage, or commitments, entering into the picture.

Not really my cup of tea either, but then again neither is S&M, or a whole host of other sexual quirks that some people enjoy.....

Upvote 0

invisiblebabe

He will restore the years the locust hath eaten
Feb 12, 2004
Second star to the right, and straight on 'til mor
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How about no. :p I'd never have married him if he were interested in that sort of thing. The only ones allowed in our bed except for us are our three cats, and that's how it's going to stay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Antje

Jul 22, 2006
Vancouver
✟16,568.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Sometimes I pretend that I'm the most open-minded person in the world, and then I pose myself questions such as this one. I try to work through them logically (as far as that is possible at all). I've asked myself this one before, and my "amoral, logical" answer was that there's no way to do this without causing serious trust issues. As soon as you have more than 2 people involved in a romantic relationship, there's always someone who will feel (or be) left out at some point, and competition might develop, or favourites, or whatever. I just would not be able to trust my husband the way I do if there was a third person in our relationship.

Okay, back to reality now. NO WAY, JOSE. There, that's the simple answer.

Upvote 0

HippiePoser

Jan 13, 2008
Minnesota
Visit site
✟15,654.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After reading this topic, I posed this question to my husband last night. :)

He said there was absolutely no way he could deal with having another wife. :)

I'm pretty open-minded, so I told him my honest answer. I'd never want another husband. Way too much work. But if he had another wife, I'd want her to be "our" wife, not "his" wife. It would have to be a relationship with the three of us, not him and me vs. him and her. There would be too much room for competition there. Granted, never having been in the situation, this might sound/seem too easy for me. I wouldn't know until I was there, in the place.

Upvote 0

Bootstrap

Jun 17, 2008
Durham, NC
✟11,739.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
King Solomon had like... 700 wives and 300 concubines.

1,000 women!!

King David and King Solomon led very merry wives
With very many concubines, and very many wives.
But when they both grew older, with sighing and with qualms,
King Solomon wrote the Proverbs and King David wrote the Psalms.

(I forget the original author, and I probably didn't get the poem right either ...)

Jonathan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OnTheWay

Nov 21, 2005
✟6,746.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Of course, as much as plural marriage doesn't jive with western culture, it's equally silly to pretend that our rejection of it is logical. If we grew up in the Muslim world we'd obviously have very different understandings and experiences with it. My wife has some Muslim family members, one such relation has a couple of wives. It's not a problem for them, but then again they don't subscribe to a lot of the cultural notions we do.
In every part of the world the percentage of the population that is female is larger than male, in some places significantly so. Russia for example is almost a 60/40 split. Marrying outside of Russia is how Russian women are tending to deal with the problem, but should that option cease to exist for whatever reason there'd be only two options:
1.Large part of the population unmarried with no prospects for that to change.
2.Polygamy
I guess I just don't see why some people get all bent out of shape over this, or the ick factor of it, but fully fall into line that we aren't supposed to have an ick factor with homosexuals. I say live and let live, if you want a bunch of wives and find women that'll go for it, best of luck to you.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would you love that?

Jonathan

Sorry, bitter woman speak for "Let somebody else take care of him".

My husband is an addict, disabled (due in part because of his addiction), and bipolar. It is not an easy relationship. It would be very easy to divorce him, but I am convicted to stay. My prayer is that God will save him before it is too late.

Lisa

Reactions: TankGirl
Upvote 0

Oblivious

Matthew 7:12
Nov 6, 2003
The Mile High City
✟31,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only if he brought home another man, I couldn't be doing with another woman around the place, I'm a Queen Bee you see. But with another man I could have one rubbing my feet while the other is rubbing my back, it would be marvellous.

Hmmm...that could work! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0