What if there's no Catholic or Orthodox churches nearby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

Dont be sad. :)

But the point is a valid Eucharist, that unfortunatly many christian denominations do not have, simply because the lack of apostolic succession (that is, in my opinion, and not only in my opinion, the higher difficoulty in west ecumenism).

The core of the Sunday service is the Eucharist.
Without Eucharist, which Mass it is?

If in a denomination there is a valid Eucharist, you could also take the risk to lissen in the prayers and in the sermons some theological ideas not completly correct.
But if there is not a valid Eucharist, you get only the risk.

Reactions: kamikat
Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Dont be sad.

I'm not sure I can feel otherwise.
I'm not offended, just sad.

But the point is a valid Eucharist, that unfortunatly most christian denominations do not have.

Well, we can't discuss this here. But, IMHO, not receiving the Eucharist in a Protestant church would not be worse than not receiving it by staying home, but that's again something we can't discuss here. Worshiping with Protestants does not require accepting His Holy Sacrament - Protestants permit people to refuse it. If you remain in your seat, no one will force you to do anything.

I think you might be shocked that the Scripture readings in a typical Protestant church - the OT, Psalm, Epistle and Gospel readings - are all pretty sound and in the case of my Lutheran church, usually identical to the readings at the Catholic church. Many of the hymns in a Protestant church are quite sound and are often sung at Catholic churches, too. And my guess is that 95% of the sermons I've heard would have nothing whatsoever objectionable to a Catholic, in fact could be in a priest's sermon at a Catholic church and be just as appropriate and welcomed. The Lord's Prayer MAY have a sentance SOME Catholics don't use but adding that shouldn't be TOO offensive I would think, so offensive as to suggest one should stay home; IMHO there's nothing heretical or uncatholic about "for thine is the kingdom and power and the glory forever..." The Creed is identical. Yet, it's the view of this priest that it's better to stay home than to listen to the Scriptures read by a Protestant, than to pray The Lord's Prayer with Protestants, etc. It's better not to worship or listen or pray at all. Better to stay home, he says. I find that sad, but I'm sure we should just leave it at that. And it's just my view there, we all must obey our own conscience in this regard. And I'd never advise anyone to go against the spiritual advise of their pastor.

For the record, I consider it doesn't offend me at all to have the Scriptures read by a Catholic or to pray the Lord's Prayer with Catholics or to confess the Creed with Catholics or to sing songs with Catholics. I have no problem with that at all. I'd rather do this with Catholics than to stay home - those being my only options. I would not particiate in the Eucharist at the Catholic church but only because I am not so permitted. But again, I would not attempt to change anyone's convinctions here or suggest anyone act contrary to their conscience or spiritual advise. I just found it sad.

Sorry for the intrusion.

Pax!

- Josiah

Upvote 0

Mick116

Jul 14, 2004
✟8,869.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Would an Anglican Catholic parish (of the TAC, for example) ever be an option, especially for an isolated Roman Catholic? As far as I can see, we share an identical faith.

I'll be moving to a small town early next year, and will no longer be able to attend a TAC parish. My options will probably be either to attend a more "liberalised" Anglican parish, or to join the RCC (I'm leaning towards the latter). I don't think there are any Orthodox churches nearby, otherwise I would seriously consider that as an option (I was introduced to catholic Christianity via an investigation of Eastern Orthodoxy, and I deeply appreciate the Eastern liturgy).

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I'd be concerned about an Anglican Church. After leaving the RCC and before committing to the Orthodox Church, I investigated the local Anglican churches. Most of them had women pastors, which I was not comfortable with. There was one church that had traditional music, a male pastor and even looked like a real church instead of a big room with bare walls. The only problem is that it was a dying parish. They had recently canceled their Sunday School because there weren't enough families and most of the parishoners were elderly. It just didn't seem like the right place for my family. The traditional parishes are dying and the more contemporary churches don't fit with my beliefs.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.