What if God's plan for your life isn't what you really want or isnt motivating at all.

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

So there are sermons about discovering God's plan for your life, They say God has a plan for each christian. But thing that the sermons don't talk about is this, maybe I haven't listen carefully who knows ?
What if God's plan for your life isn't what you really want, what if God's plan for your life isn't really motivating you ? Can we ask God to change the plan and give you a plan that is more motivating for you ?

The plan that all christians want is, is what they preach in prosperity gospel, health and wealth, don't we all want this, right ?
To be healthy and to have as much wealth as possible, but gaining the wealth in a way that is not sinfull, through hard work offcourse.

Few like this plan, to be some missionary in some poor third world country.

Let's me think of the story of Jonah, Jonah didnt want to go to Nineveh, God told him clearly to go but he didnt wanted to.

Br,

Riot42

Sep 20, 2023
Flower Mound
✟28,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where in the bible does it talk about gaining as much wealth as possible? Wealth isnt even on my list of requests from the Lord. At the very top of my list of things I want in life (yes its actually written out) is a more personal relationship with God. THAT is what all this is all about. Not health, and certainly not wealth.

For some, God's plans for us arent even of importance until the kingdom to come... How do you know his plans for you dont focus there?

A destitute stage 4 cancer victim that has a personal relationship with God has more blessings and a preferable existence than a billionaire healthy athiest IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

So there are sermons about discovering God's plan for your life, They say God has a plan for each christian. But thing that the sermons don't talk about is this, maybe I haven't listen carefully who knows ?
What if God's plan for your life isn't what you really want, what if God's plan for your life isn't really motivating you ? Can we ask God to change the plan and give you a plan that is more motivating for you ?

The plan that all christians want is, is what they preach in prosperity gospel, health and wealth, don't we all want this, right ?
To be healthy and to have as much wealth as possible, but gaining the wealth in a way that is not sinfull, through hard work offcourse.

Let's me think of the story of Jonah, Jonah didnt want to go to Nineveh, God told him clearly to go but he didnt wanted to.

Br,
Gods will is that we turn away from sin .... a character change becoming more Christ like ... it's not about material things. God isn't against wealth ... rather how one uses that wealth. Being wealthy proposes difficult challenges.

Jesus' first problem with wealth is that it tends to displace God in the lives of wealthy people. “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Luke 12:34). Jesus wants people to recognize that their lives are defined not by what they have, but by God's love for them and his call upon their lives (wealthy or not)

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Godsunworthyservant

Dec 10, 2023
WV
✟2,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Br,
You speak of the "prosperity Gospel" and that they teach health and wealth. Then you say "don't we all want this? Well, I believe it's true, that is what human nature want's. Most everything Christ taught was against human nature. Christ taught us not to build up treasures on this earth but in Heaven. He taught us what to do and not to do if God blesses us with earthly wealth. He taught us not lay it up on earth but to use it to help those less fortunate than ourselves. He spoke on financial matters more often than any other distinct issue in our daily lives. The "rich young ruler" told Christ that he had kept the commandments since his youth. Christ didn't say, no you didn't because no one can live sin free. What He said was "One thing you lack" then ho told him to sell all his worldly goods, give the money to the poor and then he could follow Christ.

So, we know that earthly wealth accumulation is not God's plan for anyone's life but how to know what really is God's plan for each individual is another question altogether. Since we know what Christ taught in general for all of us involves doing good for the less fortunate all around us, sharing the Gospel and living our lives as a testimony of our faith, I would suggest that if you start by looking for opportunities to help the less fortunate and to share the Gospel, He'll lead you to somewhere where your talents and resources can best be utilized and that is most probably His plan for your life.

Reactions: EverydayBread
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I travel alot, some specifically for God. I like Psalm 16:6 "your lot has fallen in pleasant places.." Even better the places I find pleasant are not typically found on anyone's list. So what makes them pleasant? I am prepared in God in my heart so I see the beauty. I think this illustrates how you can be, if you let God shape your heart. Yes, absolutely you will feel like a joint is out of place sometimes, the afflictions of the righteous are many but the Lord delivers you from them all. Paul too says it is unwise to compare, we all do that some but why worry about those whom you think hold poor doctrine? The yoke is easy and the burden is light, if that is not occurring much at all then you are overthinking, or over-reacting. There has to be a way of getting excited for God and enjoying the fruit of the spirit.

Upvote 0

Paleouss

Oct 23, 2023
Midwest
✟22,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What if God's plan for your life isn't what you really want, what if God's plan for your life isn't really motivating you ?
A person that doesn't want what God wants...well, that's not a Christian. To be a Christian is to submit to God (Jam 4:7) and deny self (Luke 9:23). It is to be born again (John 3:3,7).

Can we ask God to change the plan and give you a plan that is more motivating for you ?
One could ask for this. But would that be sumission?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What if God's plan for your life isn't what you really want, what if God's plan for your life isn't really motivating you? Can we ask God to change the plan and give you a plan that is?
Hello Curiousmind, if you want God to give you what you want, the Bible has a simple formula for you to follow, which is,

Psalm 37
4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

This is a wonderful command with a wonderful promise from God attached to it, yes, the key to which (to obeying our half/the command half of the verse, that is, so that He will, in turn, fulfill the promise half of the verse for us) is found in always chasing after the Lord, ~never~ after the things that we (think) that we want from Him :preach:

Have you ever considered that you may not know what is best for you in this life, that you may not even know what you REALLY want, and that God does? After all, He can see what we cannot, the "big picture" of our lives, that is :)

As a Christian, you have surely trusted Him with your eternal life, but are you trusting Him with your temporal life, as well, IOW, trusting that He, rather that you, knows what's truly best for you in the here and now (which includes knowing what will TRULY "motivate" you, since He knows your heart and knows you better, then, than you could ever hope to know yourself)?

As for wanting what is preached by the health/wealth/prosperity preachers, sure, just like I did prior to being saved, my "flesh" longs for such things. As a believer however, I've come to understand why these things can actually be bad for me (spiritually speaking), since riches motivate us to trust in/depend upon ourselves and in the things of this world, rather than in Him, and they shift our focus from where it needs to be, on the Lord and on our future life with Him, back to the many allurements that this world has to offer us.

The thing is, God never promised us a "rose garden" in this world, instead, He promised us something infinitely better, to make those of us who are His more and more like His Son (and thereby, more and more fit for the eternity with Him that lies just ahead of us) .. e.g. Philippians 1:6, 2:12-13; Hebrews 12:7-11.

God bless you!!

--David

Proverbs 3
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

Br,
I highly recommend this book:

Friesen contends that the traditional view of a "bulls-eye" perfect will of God for individuals is wrong, and that view causes much needless consternation in Christians. His view which he calls "the wisdom view" is that God expects each of us to use the wisdom we have from scripture and maturity to make right decisions.

I don't agree with the prosperity folks because of their focus on material things. "The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil," and "I have learned to be content in all situations." However, I do look for opportunities to make money so I can share with others - "let him who steals steal no longer, but let him work with his hands, so that he will have enough to share with others."

The point in all this is, that the will of God for us in making decisions is to make choices that comply with God's moral will. A choice in career or ministry is vocational and amoral. Either one works as well to God. As long as we are using the wisdom we have and complying with God's terms of ethics, we are in God's will. There is no best and second-best, no perfect and permissive will. If God wants us to do a certain thing, He will make it clear. If we aren't following God's moral will, He will chastise us as in Heb. 12.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

Br,
Resisting didn't help Jonah, he was worse off than if he had obeyed.

If God's plan isn't what you want, then the best you can do is adjust yourself to it and obey. If his plan for you is terrible and painful, imagine how bad going against it will be, either in this life or the next.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi,

What if God's plan for your life isn't what you really want,
Hold it stop right there. Let's assume you KNOW not just wonder if you know but actually know what his will is.

Who said anything about that your natural mind has to want it or like the idea of it? Joseph in the OT had his brothers throw him into a pit, sold him to slavery......think he enjoyed that? Then he had a slight reprieve was made manager of an Egyptian household. The masters wife lied about him and back to prison he went....for quite a number of years.....BUT the day came though....GOD MADE HIM THE RULER OF EGYPT!

Oh yes we all like wonderful experiences that appeal to our natural mind.....but hold it now.....God may give you a test and sorry it might even last a few years! Are you going to be faithful? Or are you going to flip out and cave in and say I don't feel motivated! Do you think Joseph felt motivated with excitement every second? Or Paul the Apostle when he was beat up in Acts 16? iI'm guessing you would know that would not always be the case.

Also consider this. You ARE in a spiritual military . Soldiers are given orders and missions to accomplish. It's not important whether they like it or not....OR ....feel motivated. The issue is are we going to be faithful and obey the orders of the King?

what if God's plan for your life isn't really motivating you ?
So ------------------->what? :)
Can we ask God to change the plan and give you a plan that is more motivating for you ?
First...be careful to make sure that what you think is a plan of God for you truly is. You might just think it is. Pray. Fast. Really make sure. You might be down on something and God might say I never called you to that anyway so all your going on about this is your mind in deception.

But OK you know. Can you ask God to change the plan? To be fair Jesus gave a prayer to inquire if its possible may this cup pass from me. But sometimes it's not possible. Just KNOW THIS if it's not possible you DO what God tells you and be full of joy in so doing whether you feel like it or not. Just be glad and know regardless the best thing for you is to be in the will of God.
So if that's something to you is extremely hard you could pray if at all possible that the cup would pass from you. But if he said NO don't resist him go and do what he says. Here's something that may be a shock to you. You could find that helping the poor you get a joy and peace and fulfillment that money or material things could never equal. I"ve heard that testimony before.
Jesus natural mind may not have loved the idea of going to the cross either. But he thought of you and being able to redeem you and for the joy set before him he endured that cross. Are you willing to endure some things for him? So that's the real question to ALL OF US.

Upvote 0

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hold it stop right there. Let's assume you KNOW not just wonder if you know but actually know what his will is.

Who said anything about that your natural mind has to want it or like the idea of it? Joseph in the OT had his brothers throw him into a pit, sold him to slavery......think he enjoyed that? Then he had a slight reprieve was made manager of an Egyptian household. The masters wife lied about him and back to prison he went....for quite a number of years.....BUT the day came though....GOD MADE HIM THE RULER OF EGYPT!

Oh yes we all like wonderful experiences that appeal to our natural mind.....but hold it now.....God may give you a test and sorry it might even last a few years! Are you going to be faithful? Or are you going to flip out and cave in and say I don't feel motivated! Do you think Joseph felt motivated with excitement every second? Or Paul the Apostle when he was beat up in Acts 16? iI'm guessing you would know that would not always be the case.

Also consider this. You ARE in a spiritual military . Soldiers are given orders and missions to accomplish. It's not important whether they like it or not....OR ....feel motivated. The issue is are we going to be faithful and obey the orders of the King?

So ------------------->what? :)

First...be careful to make sure that what you think is a plan of God for you truly is. You might just think it is. Pray. Fast. Really make sure. You might be down on something and God might say I never called you to that anyway so all your going on about this is your mind in deception.

But OK you know. Can you ask God to change the plan? To be fair Jesus gave a prayer to inquire if its possible may this cup pass from me. But sometimes it's not possible. Just KNOW THIS if it's not possible you DO what God tells you and be full of joy in so doing whether you feel like it or not. Just be glad and know regardless the best thing for you is to be in the will of God.

So if that's something to you is extremely hard you could pray if at all possible that the cup would pass from you. But if he said NO don't resist him go and do what he says. Here's something that may be a shock to you. You could find that helping the poor you get a joy and peace and fulfillment that money or material things could never equal. I"ve heard that testimony before.

Jesus natural mind may not have loved the idea of going to the cross either. But he thought of you and being able to redeem you and for the joy set before him he endured that cross. Are you willing to endure some things for him? So that's the real question to ALL OF US.
Hope u will follow ur own advice when u are in this situation,ofc dont we all want easy plan from God?, I have observed, talk is cheap,I met christian people who like to talk inspirational but caved when it got though.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hope u will follow ur own advice when u are in this situation,ofc dont we all want easy plan from God?, I have observed, talk is cheap,I met christian people who like to talk inspirational but caved when it got though.
Sure. I suppose we do want an easy plan. But at the end of the day what is the thing that determines what we do? What we feel like doing? Or the will or God? And I don't know why you've responded as if you're offended. And SO WHAT if you've seen people talk very inspirational and weren't consistent with their actions. Does that mean nobody has?

And I told you YOU CAN pray if it 'possible could you give me another plan. I even told you Jesus prayed this but sometimes it's not possible. What else could you want somebody to say? That it's OK to go against the will of God? Anyway if you don't care for my posts feel free to just ignore them. I sincerely wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's likely what's motivating you right now is tied to what's God's plan for you is.

For example, your Jonah example: Jonah didn't want to go to Nineveh not because he didn't care to preach or was too scared to preach. He didn't want to go b/c he knew they'd repent & that's why God was asking him to preach to them. He wanted to preach but not to them, he wanted to see them burn in God's judgement. His desires & skillset (to preach) aligned w/ God's plan for him.

You need to bring your desires before God & ask how they can be used to glorify him. If you want wealth, for exmaple, how could you acquire it that glorifies God? What would you do w/ it when you have it that glorifies God? When he answers, that is your motivation for his plan for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EverydayBread

Aug 9, 2021
Uusimaa
✟30,755.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello.

I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous claim. To preach prosperity gospel and gain wealth? What world do we live in...?

The Bible tells us that the love of money is root of all evil. But of course some are very self-centered and like to do these things and gain money and buy their mansions.

But we are called to a lowly life. It can include preaching the gospel and giving to the poor... serving the Lord...

1 Timothy 6:7-11
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
9 But those who desire to be rich fall into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.

Luke 6:20-21, 24-25
20 Then He lifted up His eyes toward His disciples, and said: "Blessed are you poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be filled. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.
24 But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.
25 Woe to you who are full, for you shall hunger. Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
trust nobody that does not trust Jesus Christ, the apostles trusted, they follow exactly, why bear anyone who follows any other way.

John 10:1
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

1 Corinthians 4:
9 For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.
10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.
11 Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace;
12 And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it:
13 Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.
14 I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you.
15 For though ye have ten thousand instructers in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

Upvote 0

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sure. I suppose we do want an easy plan. But at the end of the day what is the thing that determines what we do? What we feel like doing? Or the will or God? And I don't know why you've responded as if you're offended. And SO WHAT if you've seen people talk very inspirational and weren't consistent with their actions. Does that mean nobody has?

And I told you YOU CAN pray if it 'possible could you give me another plan. I even told you Jesus prayed this but sometimes it's not possible. What else could you want somebody to say? That it's OK to go against the will of God? Anyway if you don't care for my posts feel free to just ignore them. I sincerely wish you all the best.
I am not offended, it was just an observation, some like to talk inspirational but after a few years they cave.

Upvote 0

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello.

I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous claim. To preach prosperity gospel and gain wealth? What world do we live in...?

The Bible tells us that the love of money is root of all evil. But of course some are very self-centered and like to do these things and gain money and buy their mansions.

But we are called to a lowly life. It can include preaching the gospel and giving to the poor... serving the Lord...

1 Timothy 6:7-11
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
9 But those who desire to be rich fall into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.

Luke 6:20-21, 24-25
20 Then He lifted up His eyes toward His disciples, and said: "Blessed are you poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be filled. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.
24 But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.
25 Woe to you who are full, for you shall hunger. Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.
U are preaching poverty gospel, nothing wrong if u gain ur wealth honestly, Job and Abraham were considered rich business men.

Upvote 0

EverydayBread

Aug 9, 2021
Uusimaa
✟30,755.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
U are preaching poverty gospel, nothing wrong if u gain ur wealth honestly, Job and Abraham were considered rich business men.
Yes, I apologize, of course, God can bless financially.

But love of money is different than to simply gain wealth because of God's blessing. There are greedy desires behind the prosperity gospel. We are told not to love the things of this world, because our treasure is in heaven. That is why I quoted 1 Timothy 6. We can carry nothing out, so what is the point of gaining the whole world but losing one's soul?

We should love God and others. God unlike anything else, and others like ourselves. Money is only a tool. What does it mean? It's not an indicator of your salvation, although it can get you off trouble easily. As it is said, our God is a righteous judge and doesn't look into person.

Love of money is a fleshly, self-centered desire, because it helps us to be better off in our flesh. Good food, nice house, aesthetically pleasing stuff for our eyes, pleasing tastes. But the truth is that most people are poor and lack money, no matter what they do. God can bless, but unlike the prosperities claim, money does not grow in trees. It doesn't suddenly appear from our pockets.

Jesus lived a lowly life, and He lived a perfect life. And like He said it, the servant of everyone is the Ruler.

Matthew 22:37-40
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Job 34:10-12, 17-19
10 Therefore listen to me, you men of understanding: far be it from God to do wickedness, and from the Almighty to commit iniquity.
11 For He repays man according to his work, and makes man to find a reward according to his way.
12 Surely God will never do wickedly, nor will the Almighty pervert justice.
17 Should one who hates justice govern? Will you condemn Him who is most just?
18 Is it fitting to say to a king, ‘You are worthless,’ and to nobles, ‘You are wicked’?
19 Yet He is not partial to princes, nor does He regard the rich more than the poor; for they are all the work of His hands.

Matthew 23:11-12
11 But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant.
12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

Upvote 0