What holds the Atom together?

We do not crash into the sun because we have a perfectly balanced orbit (more proof of intelligent design) not the same case as electrons around an atom. I would also like to point out the the force of Electro-magnetizm is thousands of times more powerful than the force of Gravity.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Originally posted by tacoman528
None of you seem to know the answer. So I will have to properly inform you. If anyone here thinks they know the answer, then say it. In Colossians 1:17, it says that Jesus holds all things together.

And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

You seem to be reading a lot into this if you think it means Jesus is specifically holding together all the atoms in the universe.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by David Gould
I think Chick is chic - the Stan Lee of Christian comics. I mean, everyone knows he is not serious don't they? ;)

Oh, he is serious. If you ever doubt diabolical hate, just look at his treatment of his fellow Christians that are Catholic.

He hates Catholicism with a passion.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
We are crashing into the sun, just slowly.

We are falling in towards the sun, similiar to how a penny or ball spins around a cone, it slowly falls to the center. However on a very large scale. Every year we get very very slightly closer to the sun (compared to how far away we are, its a tiny amount).

You wont have to worry about hitting the sun though. As it will become a giant (I believe) long before we spiral in. When it becomes a giant, there is a big chance that it will engulf mercury (I believe) and will cook the earth, killing anything thats alive and not protected. However, that not for a long time as well. :)

We do not crash into the sun because we have a perfectly balanced orbit (more proof of intelligent design) not the same case as electrons around an atom. I would also like to point out the the force of Electro-magnetizm is thousands of times more powerful than the force of Gravity.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Thank you for that insult and that attempt to throw us off subject :(

While I was blunt with that comment, it was meant more as a general observation based on my past debates with creationists than an insult. Too often I have seen creationists use science's lack of knowledge about something as an excuse to claim God's presence. But it's a poor strategy, since as we learn more about the universe, they'll be able to invoke God less and less.

In ancient times, people used to think the sun, moon, lighting, rain, etc, were the results of a god or gods. Do you believe Jesus is sitting in a cloud hucking lightning bolts down from the sky every time there's a thunderstorm?

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
None of you seem to know the answer. So I will have to properly inform you. If anyone here thinks they know the answer, then say it. In Colossians 1:17, it says that Jesus holds all things together. Its the only thing that makes sense. Think about it. You don't know the answer, yet the answer is before you. It is Jesus that holds everything together. I've given you my answer which is completely logical. For some of you, the best answer I've heard yet is, "Nothing Exists at all."

C'mon, people

No, it is leopards. Think about it. Its the only answer that makes sense. It is completely logical

C'mom, people.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
We do not crash into the sun because we have a perfectly balanced orbit (more proof of intelligent design) not the same case as electrons around an atom.

Actually, research into chaos theory would suggest that the planetary systems are not "perfectly balanced", at that it may be possible (due to gravitational disturbances from other planets, comets, etc) for a planet to be flung out of orbit (or fall into the Sun).

Upvote 0

DNAunion

Sep 9, 2002
Visit site
✟1,109.00
DNAunion: Several people have answered the first question: why doesn't the nucleus fly apart? Because the residual effects of the color force (the effects that extend to just beyond the 'boundary' of the quarks found in protons and neutrons) is strong enough to bind nucleons together (since it is a bit more than 100 times as strong as the electromagnetic force that would cause the protons in the nucleus to repel each other). In general, the more protons a nucleus has, the more neutrons is has to have. This is because the neutrons contribute to holding the nucleus together (since they are made of quarks) but do not add to electrostatic replusion; and, even help space out the protons, thereby reducing the replusion between them. Thus, neutrons serve to help stabilize larger nuclei.

As to why electrons remain in orbit about a nucleus... As someone pointed out, classical physics cannot explain an atom. Electrons orbiting a nucleus are charged particles that are accelerating (acceleration here being a change in direction, not in speed). Accelerating electric charge produces electromagnetic waves. Waves transmit energy. Energy cannot be created. Thus, as the electrons accelerate around the nucleus, they would produce electromagnetic waves which would radiate away the electrons' energy, which would mean that their orbits would decay and in far less than a second, would spiral into the nucleus.

But then quantum mechanics painted a different picture of the atom. Wave-particle duality tells us that electrons are both particles and waves (just as light is). So electrons are not just little solid spheres in circular orbits around a nucleus, they are also standing waves, which means that their wavelengths must be of certain discrete sizes - i.e., they are quantized. A standing wave would not fall into the nucleus, so electrons, being standing waves, do not either.

There is more to it, but that should be sufficient.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by Pete Harcoff
Actually, research into chaos theory would suggest that the planetary systems are not "perfectly balanced", at that it may be possible (due to gravitational disturbances from other planets, comets, etc) for a planet to be flung out of orbit (or fall into the Sun).

If that is true, wouldnt it have happened in the 4.5 Billion years that the Earth is supposed to have been around?

Seems like God is protecting us one way or the other.

:clap:

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
If the nucleus is completely made of positive material, what holds it together?

First of all, you're wrong right off the bat.

There are two kinds of nucleons: protons and neutrons. The nucleus of an atom (except the Hydrogen atom excluding its isotopes, Deuterium and Tritium) is not completely made of positive material, but rather of both types of neucleons.

That is, except the power of god.

Check out this verse...Colossians 1:17

also John 1:3

Right, and when you don't understand quantum mechanics, invoke the supernatural. 

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Originally posted by Chris†opher Paul
If that is true, wouldnt it have happened in the 4.5 Billion years that the Earth is supposed to have been around?

Unfortunately, it's been a number of years since I've done any reading on chaos theory, so I have to check out a bunch of books from the library before I could get into detail.

From what I remember, the chaotic nature of planetary orbits is rather small. That is, they're not perfectly deterministic, but still confined to their general orbits. But, there is still the chance of a planet being flung out of orbit if given the right circumstances (I think Mercury was the most probable suspect for this happening; I'd really have to double check this).

Upvote 0

David Gould

May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
I was reading a book that said computer modelling of the solar system predicts that in 200-300 million years time one of the three inner planets will be thrown out of the solar system.

Because of chaos, it is impossible to predict which planet it will be or exactly when, but the evidence is clear that there will be a major event.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Mechanical Bliss
First of all, you're wrong right off the bat.

There are two kinds of nucleons: protons and neutrons. The nucleus of an atom (except the Hydrogen atom excluding its isotopes, Deuterium and Tritium) is not completely made of positive material, but rather of both types of neucleons. 

your point is...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by David Gould
I was reading a book that said computer modelling of the solar system predicts that in 200-300 million years time one of the three inner planets will be thrown out of the solar system.

Because of chaos, it is impossible to predict which planet it will be or exactly when, but the evidence is clear that there will be a major event.

We hope that we are raptured before this happens

Upvote 0

David Gould

May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor

We hope that we are raptured before this happens

Humanity, or whatever our descendants choose to call themselves, will be well clear of the solar system by that event - or extinct through other means.

I don't think we have too much to worry about.

Upvote 0