What has OBOB meant to you in your time here?

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually Bob, I have a life outside of OBOB. But I do check it frequently. I read a lot of my posts ahead of time and queue them and post them for the next day. In the meantime, I’m taking care of my husband, mother in law and my mom and stepdad. I do all their meds and doctor appointments as well as emergencies. I cook a lot to feed the family. Not just immediate family. I’m an artist that puts her works in the local gallery. I do art and antique shows and always have a project I’m working on. I foster animals and rehabilitate wildlife. I grow my own garden and put it up to store. I create things that turn trash to treasure and look for vintage and antiques to turn over in the market. Before Covid, I was also volunteering for my Church in nursing homes, county homes, and the hospital. I’m just organized. But OBOB is not my full time job as much as I love it. I realize operating from my phone could give an impression that may give the observer to think otherwise.:)

Hmmm ... You sound like an old style Methodist, putting in 25 hour days with the pedal to the floor the whole time!

Art isn't my thing - at 67 I'm still at the balloon and stick man stage...

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually Bob, I have a life outside of OBOB.

I guess it could be argued that I do, although I'm always commenting on here.

Keep in mind that I'm stuck at home most of the time and have nothing better to be doing and that this is some of the only interaction with other people that I get. I have no idea what any of you look like, where you live, and I probably wouldn't stick out in a crowd if we all happened to go to the same mass one day; but I am a fairly lonely person who is for all intents and purposes, disabled so this is what I spend most of my days doing when I'm not playing video games. Usually when I'm posting on here, I have records spinning in the background. Most of my days consist of sitting at home listening to my record collection, watching videos of old WWF matches from when I was a kid, and playing video games. Usually I get on the exercise bike around 2 or 3pm and do a couple miles to try and control my weight (it doesn't help that much) but OBOB is always open in my browser.

There are some other subs that I use on here, like Gamers Zone and the music sub, but for the most part this is where I hang out. I'm permanently banned from Reddit for saying "Men can't become women" so this is the next closest thing.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess it could be argued that I do, although I'm always commenting on here.

Keep in mind that I'm stuck at home most of the time and have nothing better to be doing and that this is some of the only interaction with other people that I get. I have no idea what any of you look like, where you live, and I probably wouldn't stick out in a crowd if we all happened to go to the same mass one day; but I am a fairly lonely person who is for all intents and purposes, disabled so this is what I spend most of my days doing when I'm not playing video games. Usually when I'm posting on here, I have records spinning in the background. Most of my days consist of sitting at home listening to my record collection, watching videos of old WWF matches from when I was a kid, and playing video games. Usually I get on the exercise bike around 2 or 3pm and do a couple miles to try and control my weight (it doesn't help that much) but OBOB is always open in my browser.

There are some other subs that I use on here, like Gamers Zone and the music sub, but for the most part this is where I hang out. I'm permanently banned from Reddit for saying "Men can't become women" so this is the next closest thing.
Well I’m glad you are here. I’ve been running all morning. Sitting here waiting for a mammogram right now.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mammogram over. I’m in the lab now to get blood work then I have to drop a sample off at another lab. That should be the end of that for today. Praying for good outcomes! :pray:

Upvote 0

Praying Rose

Jan 11, 2020
USA
✟49,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mammogram over. I’m in the lab now to get blood work then I have to drop a sample off at another lab. That should be the end of that for today. Praying for good outcomes! :pray:

Prayers here also for a good outcome. I had a mammogram scare ten years ago and it was a very worrisome thing to go through.:crossrc:

Upvote 0

Chesster

Jul 30, 2004
Virginia
✟150,717.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’ve been a member of the internet community since the 1990’s, starting with an AOL account. I’ve seen a number of forums come and go and engaged with numerous people of various backgrounds. OBOB may be the most stable forum I’ve seen. The people here are friendly, sharp and interesting while the subject matters of postings keeps things lively. It’s refreshing to hang out here once in a while and learn from y'all.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’ve been a member of the internet community since the 1990’s, starting with an AOL account.

So was I. I still remember having to use a 56k dial-up modem and am kind of sad that kids now will never know what that sound is. For the record, I liked web 1.0 a lot more than the modern internet because you used to have to be somewhat computer literate to use the internet, so it filtered out a lot of the severely dumb people. Don't get me wrong, there were still dullards and weirdos (remember Gene Ray and The Time Cube?) but it seemed like even those dullards and weirdos were smarter than you average social media user because if they wanted to make a web page (remember those?) then they had to learn some HTML.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Praying Rose

Jan 11, 2020
USA
✟49,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been of CF for several years. I lurked for at least two before making a handle here. After returning to Christ in adulthood, I felt a great hunger know know more about my faith and what various denominations believed to see where I fit in to it all.

After my initial research, I was sure I would fit well into the LCMS Lutheran denomination. I had grown up Lutheran and I knew I believed in Real Presence because the Holy Spirit kept pushing me (hard) to go get communion after so many years away. I read Luther's theses and mostly agreed with them, although I didn't really have an in depth understanding of what some of the Catholic traditions were, but on the surface, the theses seemed to make common sense. I liked the Lutheran label because it was the church of my childhood and it wouldn't demand very much of me obligation-wise. I was looking for a church to check all the boxes that I personally agreed with and that was the one that fit me. It hadn't occurred to me yet that this might be a backward approach... that perhaps I should be looking for the Truth even if it was something that I didn't agree with or wasn't culturally popular. I mean... who am I, anyway? Truth will not be molded to what I think!

But, God. Yes, He had other plans!:smile:

Out of due diligence, I started researching Catholicism, initially here on OBOB and on CA and the CA forums, to make sense of the Reformation. At this point, Catholicism still wasn't even on my radar as a possibility for me. It was too far out there from what I knew. Like most Protestants, I could not get my head around a lot of the theology that I thought wasn't in the Bible, and I only had a very surface understanding of the Traditions and Sacraments and I no idea where they came from and how ancient they were.

Then I needed to understand the Mass, since that is where the Lutheran Divine Service came from, as well as all the other Protestant Sunday services. I could feel that there was something deep I was missing about it after watching a few Masses on YouTube. So I decided to attend a Mass in my small town, just to observe, to figure it out. It all snowballed from there, and I ended up in RCIA months later after spending hours and hours (days, maybe even weeks cumulatively) voraciously reading about the Church, early Church history, the Church Fathers, the Catholic Reformation and the Council of Trent (with the Church's responses to Luther's 95 Theses... some were actually agreed upon), Vatican 2, Bible canon history, works written by the Saints, the Catechism, and everything else I could get my hands on.

So here I am! I read a lot and don't post as much as I like because I visit when I am at work. My home life is busy because my husband and I live on a smaller rural acreage with
a horse, mule, two donkeys, a cat, and a dog, mostly rescues with issues. A co-worker calls my place the Island of Misfit Animals. I dabble in vegetable gardening but I am not great at it because I don't put enough time into it. My job requires overtime and my equines require a lot of daily chores to keep them happy, healthy, exercised, medicated, watered and fed. My husband is at home all the time due to a disabling injury that medically retired him from work. I work, and it can be rough on me health wise, but God keeps me strong enough to hold it together day by day. If I could choose to stay home, I would, not just because I am usually exhausted and in pain, but also because then I could expend all of my energy caring for my loved ones instead of them getting whatever is left over after work. No kids yet. Maybe someday. Maybe not. It is in God's hands. God is good. :relieved:

In sum (and sorry for the long post), OBOB helped make me Catholic! It is part of my daily life and I love the interaction here as well as the great articles. OBOB rocks! :sunglasses::handfist:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been of CF for several years. I lurked for at least two before making a handle here. After returning to Christ in adulthood, I felt a great hunger know know more about my faith and what various denominations believed to see where I fit in to it all.

After my initial research, I was sure I would fit well into the LCMS Lutheran denomination. I had grown up Lutheran and I knew I believed in Real Presence because the Holy Spirit kept pushing me (hard) to go get communion after so many years away. I read Luther's theses and mostly agreed with them, although I didn't really have an in depth understanding of what some of the Catholic traditions were, but on the surface, the theses seemed to make common sense. I liked the Lutheran label because it was the church of my childhood and it wouldn't demand very much of me obligation-wise. I was looking for a church to check all the boxes that I personally agreed with and that was the one that fit me. It hadn't occurred to me yet that this might be a backward approach... that perhaps I should be looking for the Truth even if it was something that I didn't agree with or wasn't culturally popular. I mean... who am I, anyway? Truth will not be molded to what I think!

But, God. Yes, He had other plans!:smile:

Out of due diligence, I started researching Catholicism, initially here on OBOB and on CA and the CA forums, to make sense of the Reformation. At this point, Catholicism still wasn't even on my radar as a possibility for me. It was too far out there from what I knew. Like most Protestants, I could not get my head around a lot of the theology that I thought wasn't in the Bible, and I only had a very surface understanding of the Traditions and Sacraments and I no idea where they came from and how ancient they were.

Then I needed to understand the Mass, since that is where the Lutheran Divine Service came from, as well as all the other Protestant Sunday services. I could feel that there was something deep I was missing about it after watching a few Masses on YouTube. So I decided to attend a Mass in my small town, just to observe, to figure it out. It all snowballed from there, and I ended up in RCIA months later after spending hours and hours (days, maybe even weeks cumulatively) voraciously reading about the Church, early Church history, the Church Fathers, the Catholic Reformation and the Council of Trent (with the Church's responses to Luther's 95 Theses... some were actually agreed upon), Vatican 2, Bible canon history, works written by the Saints, the Catechism, and everything else I could get my hands on.

So here I am! I read a lot and don't post as much as I like because I visit when I am at work. My home life is busy because my husband and I live on a smaller rural acreage with
a horse, mule, two donkeys, a cat, and a dog, mostly rescues with issues. A co-worker calls my place the Island of Misfit Animals. I dabble in vegetable gardening but I am not great at it because I don't put enough time into it. My job requires overtime and my equines require a lot of daily chores to keep them happy, healthy, exercised, medicated, watered and fed. My husband is at home all the time due to a disabling injury that medically retired him from work. I work, and it can be rough on me health wise, but God keeps me strong enough to hold it together day by day. If I could choose to stay home, I would, not just because I am usually exhausted and in pain, but also because then I could expend all of my energy caring for my loved ones instead of them getting whatever is left over after work. No kids yet. Maybe someday. Maybe not. It is in God's hands. God is good. :relieved:

In sum (and sorry for the long post), OBOB helped make me Catholic! It is part of my daily life and I love the interaction here as well as the great articles. OBOB rocks! :sunglasses::handfist:
Prayers for you and your husband! Your critters included. Thanks for all you do. It’s people like you that makes OBOB so pleasant! :)

Upvote 0

Chesster

Jul 30, 2004
Virginia
✟150,717.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So was I. I still remember having to use a 56k dial-up modem and am kind of sad that kids now will never know what that sound is.

Ah, dial-up modems, that was a distinctive sound wasn’t it. There’s probably a ringtone out there for it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,730.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I've been here and on TAW since I came to CF.

Frankly I enjoy the company of you all - even though I left the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and finally became Orthodox - and I still post mainly in the same two areas

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been here and on TAW since I came to CF.

Frankly I enjoy the company of you all - even though I left the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and finally became Orthodox - and I still post mainly in the same two areas

You are a great presence here Anhelyna. It would not be the same without you!

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
that was a distinctive sound wasn’t it.

I actually looked up a video of the dial-up sound after posting the original comment. Ha ha. I miss it, as dumb as that sounds.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I originally came to Christian Forums back in 2002 or 2003 as a protestant, but it looks like the history here only goes back to 2008. I am ashamed of a lot of my previous posts, but God has mercy. Even so, the Throne of Judgement will be a terrifying time.
Anyway, I was born Catholic and started the faith in 1970 and the post conciliar novus ordo church. I made my first communion and my family attended all the folk masses. I remember the modernist trend, even as a seven year old. They were saying there was no Adam and Eve, God did not part the Red Sea, heaven is not a place. (although the Catechism says Heaven is a state of being, to say it is not a place is misleading, and to say it to a child makes him think God is not real). I became disillusioned with the Church and rebelled as a young adult.
I left the faith and became Protestant thinking I had found the true path to God, but no denomination was ever right for me. I felt they each had some error. While that may have been true, it was not good for me. It gave me a sense of superiority, and thoughts that I knew better. It is not good for a person to think that way, as a Christian must be humble and obedient.
I came to Christian Forums thinking that I would find people that wanted to find the truth and flee error as much as I did. It didn't work out that way. I thought that the Catholic Church was in so much error that God had to remove it, and I thought it happened in 2002 when the sexual scandals began to happen. Hundreds of priests defrocked, children abused, seminaries gone so completely homosexual that they had to be shut down. I thought that now everyone can see that the Catholic Church was the joke that I thought it to be. I erroneously thought that the Church teaches that we have to work our way to heaven, and the real way is to rely on Christ's sacrifice on the Cross.
It was in watching the debates between the Protestants and Catholics at the time that showed me that there is no Biblical reason not to be Catholic. If that were true, then I was in error and needed to repent. I went to confession and returned to the Church because of what I read in OBOB at the time. I started to bring my family to Church and had my children baptized and confirmed.
I was very happy, but still had some of my I know better attitude remaining. I became a moderator and thought that I could be the one to get Catholics and Protestants together. At first it went well and I rose high in the ranks of CF staff quickly. I thought I could do it, but it turned out to be a spectacular failure.
My stumbling block was birth control, and I had no right representing the Church. I thought the Church teaching was wrong, and Humana Vitae was not infallible. I did not think the arguments presented in OBOB at that time were convincing, but I resigned from staff as I thought I was doing no good. I made the right decision, but it was several years before I was convinced of my error on birth control. The Lord has mercy. I felt so ashamed that I wish I could talk to the people that used to be here in OBOB at that time and tell them what I found, but I don't see any of the old guard around here.
Don't remember the person that said that they would not lie to Nazis, that seemed harsh. Those times must have come after I left. Back then I wanted to rule, but now God has me working on the virtues of patience, humility and obedience. I submit to the teaching authority of the Church through the Magisterium and the Catechism. I am very happy learning about the Lord and will sing of His mercy.
I am studying the faith from Cardinal Burke and the Marian Catechist Apostolate. It is wonderful, but I owe my first call home to Holy Mother Church to OBOB and Christian Forums.

May the Lord bless all of you

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ah, dial-up modems, that was a distinctive sound wasn’t it. There’s probably a ringtone out there for it.

To think now there's a whole generation of kids who never knew that. Or the "Welcome! You've got mail!" greeting. I never had AOL growing up but we got dialup in 1996 or 97 and boy it was something, cruising along at 28.8K if we were lucky.

The Web 1.0 era was peak internet, it's been all downhill from there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
So was I. I still remember having to use a 56k dial-up modem and am kind of sad that kids now will never know what that sound is. For the record, I liked web 1.0 a lot more than the modern internet because you used to have to be somewhat computer literate to use the internet, so it filtered out a lot of the severely dumb people. Don't get me wrong, there were still dullards and weirdos (remember Gene Ray and The Time Cube?) but it seemed like even those dullards and weirdos were smarter than you average social media user because if they wanted to make a web page (remember those?) then they had to learn some HTML.

I had a 14.4k modem.

Reactions: BrAndreyu
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
To think now there's a whole generation of kids who never knew that. Or the "Welcome! You've got mail!" greeting. I never had AOL growing up but we got dialup in 1996 or 97 and boy it was something, cruising along at 28.8K if we were lucky.

The Web 1.0 era was peak internet, it's been all downhill from there.

I had AOL and a 14.4K modem. I remember installing Windows from floppy drives.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I had a 14.4k modem.

It made the same sound though when it was connecting I assume? We didn't have a 14.4 because we didn't get a PC until about 1998 and that was when I discovered the glories of video game emulation.

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Web 1.0 era was peak internet

It was just more interesting then because you didn't have a handful of companies controlling all discourse online and because people made their own webpages, so you could find some really far out stuff that way (like Gene Ray and his Time Cube website).

I had a couple of webpages I coded in HTML hosted on Angelfire, Tripod, and Geocities.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The first time I ever got onto a computer was around 1981 if I remember rightly. I got a few lessons in BASIC.

if you did a repeating loop with a print statement, it was slow enough that you could see the numbers scrolling up the screen.

These days it would just be "blip!" Finished.

Upvote 0