What happen to Jesus when he died

Apr 14, 2012
✟7,781.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
When Jesus was crucified and then buried, what happen for those 3 days and 3 nights? Its supposed that he took on the sins of the world just before he died. we also know that he didn't go to heaven when he died.

John 20:10-17

King James Version (KJV)

10Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.
11But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
12And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
13And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my LORD, and I know not where they have laid him.
14And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
15Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
16Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Verse 17 is a bit confusing first he tells Mary not to touch him for he has NOT YET ascended to his father. (I take it he is saying he hasnt been to heaven) but then he says "but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God."

How do you interpret this verse, and if he hadn't yet gone to heaven then what happen to him for those 3 days and 3 nights? Did he go to hell?

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think Jesus "went to hell" and redeemed the OT saints while also dealing with the sins (and overcoming them) of all of the saints. But this is really just my idea. He could just have easily done it by mere thought, maybe it was just three days so people would know Jesus resurrected, and to make sure he originally died.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
✟15,219.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
we also know that he didn't go to heaven when he died.

Why not let the Lord Jesus Christ himself anser the question;

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise." (Luk 23:43 NKJ)

The scriptures clearly identify paradise as heaven, see 2 cor 12:4 and Rev 2:7.

It should also be noted that 'ascended' does not mean 'go up in to haven' but is a refernce to taking up his sovereign reign once more with his father in heaven. It is a royal ascension, to a throne.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2012
✟7,781.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why not let the Lord Jesus Christ himself anser the question;

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."(Luk 23:43 NKJ)

The scriptures clearly identify paradise as heaven, see 2 cor 12:4 and Rev 2:7.

It should also be noted that 'ascended' does not mean 'go up in to haven' but is a refernce to taking up his sovereign reign once more with his father in heaven. It is a royal ascension, to a throne.

'ascended' does not mean 'go up in to haven' but is a refernce to taking up his sovereign reign once more with his father (were did you get this definition of ascension? I couldn't find it anywhere

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
✟15,219.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
'ascended' does not mean 'go up in to haven' but is a refernce to taking up his sovereign reign once more with his father (were did you get this definition of ascension? I couldn't find it anywhere

It's min his words, he is going to his father, who is where exactly? He is sat on the throne of the universe. Paul explains the acsension to us in Eph 1:19-23.

I notice that you have only picked up on the 'by the way' aspect of my post, and you seem to have missed the mian arguement I presented :D

Upvote 0