What exactly was finished when Jesus said, “It is finished”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
This is a question that I have heard many interpretation of and I am sure that there are diverse opinions on this subject in this forum. So I would like to pose the question and ask that you give biblical references for your answer as it relates directly to the question. Opinions, I am sure you will agree, are a dime a dozen. It would also help if you would take the time to print out the scriptures.

Personally, I believe that it could mean that His work was done (although it would have been more appropriate for Christ to have said this at His ascension than at His crucifixion) but, because of the references mentioned below, I have come to believe that He meant that the Law was finished (for those who believe on Him).

John 1
17For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Romans 7
4So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God. 5For when we were controlled by the sinful nature,the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. 6But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Romans 10
4Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

2 Corinthians 3
7Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, 8will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts! 12Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at it while the radiance was fading away. 14But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away.

Ephesians 2
15By abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace.

Colossians 2
14Having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

Hebrews 8
13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

Hebrews 9
15For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. 16In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it,​

\o/

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In John 19:30, Jesus cries out His famous "It is finished!" What did He mean? The automatic response for most Christians is that he meant that our redemption was complete. Except....it couldn't mean that because our redemption was not complete until Jesus had been raised (Romans 4:25).

When taken in context of the Passover feast, the Eucharist is intimately related to Jesus' cry on the cross.

As we all know (let's hope ;) ), the Passover celebrates God's deliverance of Israel from Egypt. That night, every firstborn son was to be slain, and the Hebrews were instructed to sacrifice a lamb (without blemish or broken bones), spread its blood over the doorpost, and eat the lamb as a sacrificial meal. The angel of death would thus know to "pass over" this home.

Let's fast forward from Exodus to St. John's Gospel. As Christ stands before Piltae, John notes that it is the sixth hour of the day of preparation for Passover. So what? The sixth hour, as John would have known, was the hour at which the priests began slaughtering the lambs. (Jn 18:33-37)

One chapter later, John also calls attention to the fact that Jesus' bones remained unbroken, another reference to Exodus and the Passover. (Jn 19:33,36) In this chapter, John also notes that hyssop is used to bring vinegar to Jesus' mouth, also the branch described in Exodus to be used for sprinkling the lamb's blood.

John's other reference to the Passover, is his mention of Jesus' seamless linen tunic. The word used "chiton" is the same word used to describe the official tunic worn by the high priest when sacrificing in Exodus and Leviticus. This lets us know that Jesus, the Passover Lamb, is also the High Priest.

The Passover meal is divided into four parts, or four cups.

The first course is a solemn blessing (kiddush), which is proclaimed over the first cup of wine, which is then followed by a dish of bitter herbs.

The second course involved the recitation of the Passover narrative, and the singing of the "Little Hallel. After this, the second cup of wine was drunk.

The third course is the main meal, lamb and unleavened bread. This came before the drinking of the third cup, or the cup of blessing.

The fourth part, and climax is the singing of the "Great Hallel" and the drinking of the fourth cup, the cup of consummation.

We see this structure reflected in the Gospel accounts of the Last Supper. Specifically, the cup of the Precious Blood, which Jesus blessed is the third cup, or the cup of blessing. The singing of the Great Hallel immediately follows (Mk 14:26). St Paul also identifies this cup of blessing with the Eucharist (1 Cor 10:16).

But then, what the heck is Jesus, the observant Jew thinking? He skips the fourth cup and they go on out to the Mount of Olives! For the Jewish culture, this is totally unacceptable. It's like skipping Communion at Mass. The whole fundamental point is overlooked.

Jesus even highlights His omission. "Truly, I say to you, I shall not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God (Mk 14:25)." Then in the Garden, Jesus prays that this cup pass from Him, yet not as He wills, but as the Father wills. Three times Jesus prays for deliverance from this cup. Note also that Jesus keeps His word, refusing the wine mingled with myrrh (Mk 15:23).

Also bear in mind that in John's Gospel, Jesus' Passion and Crucifixion are the height of His glory and supreme triumph.

Upvote 0

rainbowprism

Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What was finished was the end of a 'vengeful' God. No longer would we be subject to God's wrath for our disobedience and sin...Jesus was our subsitutionary lamb. Through Jesus a new covenant was made (symbolized in Communio), no longer would we need to go any further than our own selves to communicate and recieve God's love and forgiveness! In Jesus' time it wasn't believed that just anyone could communicate with God, and certainly not without extensive preparation. Animal sacrafices would be made and blood would be sprinkled in the holy place for atonement for the individuals sin...and so on. After Jesus' death the temple with the Holy of Holies was split... back in that time it was believed that is where God's presence was and it could only be visited by certain High Priests at certain times of the year. So fearful were people of violating this rule, that they would actually tie a rope to the High Priest's ankle when he entered, because if he were to die people would not be able to go in and get him and therefore they would have to drag him out by the rope! The book of Hebrews main theme is the absolute supremacy and sufficiency of Jesus Christ as revealer and as mediator of God's grace! Hebrews chapter eight and ten explains this better (read the entire chapters but here is an excerpt):

Hebrews 10:19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain that is, his body, and since we have a great priest (Jesus) over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.

I hope this helped!;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Theophilus7

Sep 21, 2003
England
Visit site
✟8,472.00
Faith
Christian
I believe the Jewish High Priest says "it is finished" when the ram/lamb has been slain [1]. What remains is for the blood to be presented in the Holy of Holies - and then we have the hour of prayer, where all are equal before God.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] "With accomplished skill, the neck is cut, the blood spilled, and the life drained. Speedily, the body of the young animal is dressed and placed on the altar, its fat burning a dark smoke that rises toward the heavens—a pleasing aroma. Soon, the High Priest turns and utters the familiar words, “It is finished.” Israel’s sins have been atoned." (Williams, Kevin M., The Ninth Hour, Pneuma Review)

Upvote 0

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
cynjo59 said:
I read something about this just yesterday and have not stopped thinking about it since because it is just so awesome to me. It seems that in Hebrew, the phrase we have translated as "It is finished" actually means "It is paid in full." How appropriate!
If this is correct (and I'm checking it out), it will sure answer the question.

\o/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
cynjo59 said:
I read something about this just yesterday and have not stopped thinking about it since because it is just so awesome to me. It seems that in Hebrew, the phrase we have translated as "It is finished" actually means "It is paid in full." How appropriate!
Here’s what I found at Strong’s (http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Greek/)
“finished”
1. to bring to a close, to finish, to end
a. passed, finished
2. to perform, execute, complete, fulfil, (so that the thing done corresponds to what has been said, the order, command etc.)
a. with special reference to the subject matter, to carry out the contents of a command
b. with reference also to the form, to do just as commanded, and generally involving the notion of time, to perform the last act which completes a process, to accomplish, fulfil
3. to pay
a. of tribute​
"It is finished or paid" John 19:30

\o/

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.