What exactly is our purpose as Christians supposed to be once we are saved?

G

gideons300

It is an interesting question, no? What exactly is our "mission" as we live out our Christian walk here on earth? We get saved, find a good church. Then what? 40 years of Sunday services, pastoral changes, get married, raise a family, grow old. Endure to the end, right?

Think about it. What ARE we supposed to be doing? Fasting, witnessing, become a preacher or foreign missionary? Go to Bible School, teach Sunday School, attend the next 550 Sunday services? Those are all fine and good but they are by-products of our calling of what e are supposed to be here on earth, So, what we ARE called to do, or more accurately, to be.

We are all, as children of the king, given the honor of "growing up into Him in all things". We are all called to become Christ-like, not by imitation but by infilling and abiding in Him and Him in us by faith. We are called to be witnesses to a lost and evil-infected world not by our words as much as by our presence, our fullness with God's son, Christ IN us, the hope of glory.

So I will ask you what I had to ask myself. How is my "project", my assignment, my task here on earth, coming along anyway? Am I really like Jesus in my depth of love for His kingdom? Am I becoming less and less interested in the world and all that it offers, and more and more dwelling with my heart awaiting His return? Am I displaying the bounty of the fruits of the spirit that only Christ can work into our hearts?

I do not know about you, but when I look back at my 40 years of serving the Lord, precious little progress is seen and that concerns me, not a little but a LOT. You?

Something seems wrong with our Christian model. If it were as we project it to be, as we all have been taught, the older saints would have evolved into almost other-worldly saints, full of the spirit, easily marked by their Christ-like spirit of gentleness and agape love. How is it in your church? In your own walk with our Lord? Is it working?

You see, we get people introduced to Christ by them relying on faith alone in His atoning blood, get them into church and expect all to be well and they will grow into Christ's likeness all on their own with one hour, once a week "teaching". Our model has failed us and it is time we begin searching to find out why this is so, and more importantly, how to really become like Christ.

How wrong we have been. We as the body of Christ have the first half of the gospel, forgiveness, down pat for the most part. But as to the second half, the being changed into His image from glory to glory...well, our glories pale in comparison to what God has clearly promised us. And what is worse, we are actually content to have "just a little peace", thinking that this is normal Christianity and we must struggle with our sins and weaknesses as best we can. That, brothers and sisters, is the lie we have all been fed and accepted as truth.

God said:

They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people only slightly, saying, Peace, peace when there is no peace.

Jeremiah 6:14

Brothers and sisters, what does your heart say? Is your spirit soaring with God, or are you healed only slightly, hanging on till heaven? Saved from the penalty for your sins, but not from the power of the enemy himself in your daily life and thoughts? Again, what does your heart cry out for? Not what your pastor tells you, or your church doctrine tells you, but what does God whisper to your heart? Do you long to be more kind and patient, more loving, more serving others? Do you hate the sins that still seem to dominate your life, the worldliness that seems to grab and claw us to be like the rest of the world? Has your heart failed you at times when the discouragement of living out your Christian life takes hold and you admit that you cannot live as your heart tells you you ought to do, oe perform what the scrpitures plainly tells us we CAN do?

It is time the truth is proclaimed and proclaimed loudly, Christ came to set the captives free. He did not come to put A/C units into our prison cells and give us fluffier pillows and warmer blankets in our cold cells of fleshly captivity. He came to make joy and victory our common inheritance.

This is not to say that we will not have battles, but here is a key question....are we fighting to win the victory, or by fath to hold onto the victory Christ said He has already given us?? That point is critical if we are even to understand how to move away from self-effort (and may I add self-preservation?) to winning the batle by our ever increasing faith in HIS ability to make us like His Son.

May God bless all who truly hunger and thirst after His righteousness.... you WILL mount up with wings as eagles....and yes, in THIS life.

Blessings to all,

Gideon

Last edited:

JHM

Sep 19, 2007
✟15,773.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See :
James 5 : 19-20 (Revised Standard Version)
My brethren, if any among you wanders from the truth and some one brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

So I guess one thing to do is try to help others to see the truth, because in doing so we "Cover a multitude of sins" - Presumably our own.

Upvote 0

1Prophetess

Amazing Grace, How Sweet You Are Lord Jesus!
Jan 17, 2010
California USA
✟17,661.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit gives us gifts. We are to use them to either the body of Christ or to unbelievers to cause others to draw closer to God.

Goodness, in the last 40 years of my salvation, I would say God has done mightly and great things! I have changed immensely!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 12:1-3
12 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
KJV

Upvote 0
E

Eiginn

First off, I am new here. I have struggles that need to be in the open and so my walk is very much in a self-made desert. That being said...I am reading a book a good friend of mine gave to me yesterday. It is When I don't Desire God, by John Piper. I have lived my whole life in a homeschooled, Christian family. I grew up in AWANA, speaking and thinking Christianeze. I walked away from the church around the time that I got married to a lovely woman whom I don't deserve-nor treats her like I don't deserve her. I then received orders here, to Italy and found out what the real world was like-and that my heart wasn't that different inside. I have outwardly stood up against my peers-I have almost been forced out of the military for even admitting my beliefs in God.

Does God seem distant in your life-or not even present? That's how I feel. I am 21, I have seen a two churches fall apart-friends trashed because of skewed perspectives on Christianity. I am a father to a son and about to have another one. I'm currently double majoring while working active duty. I just don't seem to have time, or desire to fit time with God-set aside and away from life to pursue a relationship with Him. This has and is leaving me empty, utterly devoid of purpose and lifeless. Once you become a Christian, the first order of business is to develop a 1-1 relationship with God.

A friend of mine once said that man has an inherent tendency to filter everything he reads or hears. He further goes on to say that when someone who is in the role of teaching (say a pastor or priest) comes very close to interpreting Scripture themselves. Scripture, when interpreted by man-is fallible. Which is why once a person has been redeemed by God-development of the relationship with God Himself is so crucial (something I never had...nor was taught in the church). The way to do this is to read the Bible and then to meditate on it. When a person reads the Bible-to really learn who God is and how God works and why He does things the way He does (like reading a very long biography, as if an eternal being could have such a thing) then one is opening the door for God to reveal Himself and interprete Scripture to the reader.

I think this is first. Once you have a relationship with God and the desire (which I am currently devoid of) a relationship begins to form. As with human relationships, effort must be placed in the relationship-or it will wither (I am again, a perfect example). When God speaks to you to either to something or change your life...you will know-chiefly from the fleshly resistance within your own soul. And joy...is hard work.

Secondly, on a short term basis-daily in fact (Titus 2) we as Christians should be actively involved in relationships with other Christians through conversation that is DAILY, I repeat daily focusing and refocusing on the Gospel. This is building up a community of believers focusing and building relationships with Christ, one on one and in a community (helps each other stand firm/iron sharpening iron.)

So short recap. 1-develop firm foundational relationship with God through research, study and meditation (prayer). 2-develop a relational community in which people are daily pointing you towards the Gospel (and you pointing them back to the Gospel as well). 3-well, the first two are a full time job :).

Without community, and without the relationship of Christ-you will be like the seed that falls on rocky soil. I was and currently am. I know to do right and I try to do it simply because I know it to be right (sense of duty). I am not desiring anything good, or holy.

Just my thoughts...
-E

Upvote 0

tackattack

Non-Denominational Church of God, Anderson
Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Eiginn- Something a friend once told me. "Do you know what BUSY stands for? If we're too busy for God then we're Burdened Under Satan's Yoke" There's a good word for you brother, and here's a scripture to go with that Psalms 31. Hopefully yo'll have time to read and meditate on that.

God Bless,
Dave

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

Thanks for your answers. Here is something to think about...perhaps not in your own walk but in the walks of most in the church.

Jesus said that we will be known by the love we have one for another. As an unbeliever scans the world's horizon and looks at the Christian church, does he see anything more than mouth service to this prediction?

In the first century, the word on the street was "Look how they love one another!". How about now? And if there is a gap between the two, why?
Opinions?

Blessings,

Gideon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
E

Eiginn

What does 'busy' entail? Too busy for the Gospel which is how we were saved in the first place? The gospel is as short as Christ died for your and my sins. How great is God, how great must His love be-this is also meditation on the goodness of God. Busy? This is our job-if you read Titus 2, this is exactly what and how the Christians were perceived as to how they loved one another. Last time I checked, no human was capable of loving anything or anyone other than itself without God. If our minds are constantly filled with Scripture, and our hearts are filled with the love of God, then and only then are we capable of giving that love to others. Otherwise it is just fake.

I know. I came from a church that was scrubbed clean on the outside and dirty on the inside.

@ tackattack-one last thing. The American culture is obsessed with being compulsively busy. If you disagree with that...look at the youtube video of Joshua Bell playing in the Boston Metro. See, out of over 80,000 people that day-how many stopped to listen to the premier virtuoso of the world? Why shouldn't we be obsessed, as Christians, with the Gospel? All other theological issues are symantecs-not necessary for salvation. But what is? 1 John 3:16. How do you implement it? Titus 2. But be careful and heed James's warning...faith and works cannot be separated. If you have works but not faith-and then if you have faith and then not works...
Lastly-none of this is important without love-1 Corinthians.

Just my humble opinion-but as far as busy goes, I think we should be less focused on a prosperity gospel and more focused on storing our treasures up in heaven. For the things of this earth will rust and corrode away.

Upvote 0

strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
That verse from Jeremiah is actually talking about false prophets telling the people that all is ok, while they keep worshiping Baals and God knows what other abomination. Regarding our purpose, I'm still relatively new Christian so this might sound shallow. We are to proclaim the gospel. We have to be transformed by the renewal of our mind and that is a life long process. You can call it sanctification or the work by which the Holy Spirit works to mold us to be like Christ. I guess we will see all once we get to heaven. We should humble ourselves and trust in the Lord. His ways are higher than ours and His thoughts infinite.

Upvote 0

tackattack

Non-Denominational Church of God, Anderson
Aug 13, 2010
Virginia
✟15,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Eiginn- I agree, and it's a problem, busy with non-eternal things is just rushing your demise. There are responsibilities and necessities, but they should never be more important than Christ. I think a key to getting over the business of unfruitfull things requires a constant refocusing on what should be the conrnerstone of our lives, God. That's what Jesus did, and that's what I try and do as much as I can always. One thing my Father told me: There's only one thing you can take to Heaven with you, and that's the souls God's saved through you.

Upvote 0

buchalady

Sep 8, 2011
✟15,309.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am happiest when I forget about "self" and concentrate on God and others. Jesus was busy changing the world by changing people. People can be tiring, but he never seemed to have been bored with anyone. He never left the impression that he was in a hurry or that he did not want to be bothered. His time and his resources were theirs.

He did get weary and found time in a quiet place to be alone with God. He said "While I am in the world I am the light for the world." He was in the world and he was busy.

He did not dwell on himself, his thoughts and actions were for God and others. Jesus is our example, and that example is a lifetime of service.

We can seek out the quiet moments.

Reactions: food4thought
Upvote 0

blong4133

Feb 28, 2012
Virginia
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I personally look at it this way.

God has given everyone unique qualities. Some of us are good speakers, some are good writers, some are good singers/musicians, some are good...it goes on and on.

I personally think that the interests, passions, abilities etc. that each of us has are God's "clues" as to what our purpose is. If that wasn't the case, as far as I'm concerned, then we would all be identical in our beliefs, qualities, abilities etc. He has given us everything that we have for a reason, and it is our job to figure out what those are, and to use them in a way that reflects his love for us, and humanity.

I personally enjoy speaking/talking with others. I feel that is one of my "clues." I don't think that there is one set purpose that God has for me, but to use these abilities and qualities that he has given me to help my brothers and sisters find God. If I can help them do that by talking to them, then I feel that I am working toward the purpose that God has put me on this earth for.

Everything that you have been through is God's way of pointing you in the direction that he wants you to go. It's up to us to decide how we use these experiences. Some use them as a reason to deny God, some use them as a reason to be angry, some use them as a reason to do immoral/illegal things. While others use the clues God has given them, and the situations God has put them through to help others in the best way that they can. Everyone has a unique story, and that is because God has a unique purpose for all of us. I don't think, personally, that there is a "catch-all" purpose for humans who have been saved. Just notice the blessings that God has sent to you, and use them in a way that is pleasing to him. If you do that, I have a hard time believing that God is going to look at your life unfavorably.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.