✟23,788.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
whisper_dishmon said:
Ive been raised in a pentecostal church but Im not sure I fully understand how it differs from other denominations. What is it?

Typically pentecostals believe in the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" as found in Acts chapter 2 with the evidence of speaking in tounges. We believe in a separate experience in addition to salvation. In most other protestant churches they believe you recieve the Holy Spirit when you are saved and they generally don't believe in speaking in tounges or the manifistaion of the gifts of the Spirit.

This is a general answer, I can be more specific if you need.

Grace and Peace,

Denton

Upvote 0

oliveplants

Senior Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
✟11,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Denton gave you the difference between pentecostal and nonpentecostal in a nutshell.
Of course among the denominations there are many 'small' differences, like end-times theology, women in ministry, emphasis on 'personal holiness,' and so on. You'd really have to go to the specific denominations' websites to read their statement of faith. (There are many links from CF.)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
WalkingInFaithI said:
How many of you Pentecostals speak in tounges, can we have a poll?

A. Never
B. Once/Rarely
C. Sometimes
D. Often
E Always

As Paul said (in 2 places)

pray without ceasing

pray in the spirit and with understanding

:)

Upvote 0

pharmacy_student

Feb 25, 2006
Queensland Australia
✟7,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
We believe in:

Grace through Faith in Jesus Christ
Baptism in the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues
Water Baptism as an external sign of salvation

They would have to be the roots of Pentecostalism - once again there are minor differences between different Pentecostal denominations but the core beliefs are the same.

Grace and Peace

Jason

Upvote 0

prisonchaplain

Feb 25, 2006
Federal Way, WA
✟15,539.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WalkingInFaithI said:
How many of you Pentecostals speak in tounges, can we have a poll?

A. Never
B. Once/Rarely
C. Sometimes
D. Often
E Always
I've repeatedly heard figures that within the Assemblies of God roughly 1/3rd have had a Pentecostal experience. Another sad fact is that many who "get the baptism," do not continue to pray in tongues on a regular basis. Poor teaching, and fear of people being discouraged when they don't receive, have caused many a "Pentecostal" church to look increasingly like our evangelical bretheren. That's not meant as a criticism, except that we believe in an experience we are increasingly not experience. Time to cast aside fear, and dig in for our blessings and power.

Upvote 0

pharmacy_student

Feb 25, 2006
Queensland Australia
✟7,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
prisonchaplain said:
I've repeatedly heard figures that within the Assemblies of God roughly 1/3rd have had a Pentecostal experience. Another sad fact is that many who "get the baptism," do not continue to pray in tongues on a regular basis. Poor teaching, and fear of people being discouraged when they don't receive, have caused many a "Pentecostal" church to look increasingly like our evangelical bretheren. That's not meant as a criticism, except that we believe in an experience we are increasingly not experience. Time to cast aside fear, and dig in for our blessings and power.
I guess thats the thing , speaking in tongues needs to be exercised to keep it! As for me I follow the advice, pray without ceasing - in both English and tongues. I especially like Ephesians 6:18 where Paul says "And pray IN THE SPIRIT on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.