What Exactly Are Conservatives Conserving?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Conservatives have lost cultural battle after cultural battle over the decades, and now many of them want to conserve those losses.

“Safe, Legal, and Rare.” It is glorious to remember that this statement was able to fuel enough outrage over abortion that it united all branches of pro-lifers under the conservative banner in opposition to such an insulting and dangerous position. This was over thirty years ago, and a few things have changed. The official liberal position on abortion has developed into a wholesale acceptance of abortion at any time and for any reason: no longer should abortion be “safe, legal, and rare” but “safe, legal, and everywhere.”

This is bad enough. But to add insult to injury, the only ones who are proposing that abortion be “safe, legal, and rare” are conservatives! The terror of this is that they do so while also claiming the title of pro-life: “I’m pro-life, but I support exceptions for rape and incest”; “I’m personally pro-life, but abortion is the decision of the mother”; “I’m pro-life, but only after the fetus has a heartbeat.”

The same trend has occurred in the realm of marriage. Thirty years ago, it was the liberals who were advocating for the legalization of gay marriage. In 2023, there is now a sizable cohort of conservatives who actively defend gay marriage in the United States and worldwide. Like my dad used to say, “Liberals want change quickly, conservatives want change slowly.” All this means is that the current conservative platform is the liberal platform of thirty years ago.

Continued below.