✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 15:3 (KJV)
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

What does it mean that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures?
According to the prophesies in the Old Testament. Here is one that can not be denied fulfilled through Jesus Christ of Nazareth. One of many fulfilled prophesies.

Zechariah 9:9-10
“Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion!
Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem!
Behold, your King is coming to you;
He is just and having salvation,
Lowly and riding on a donkey,
A colt, the foal of a donkey.
I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim
And the horse from Jerusalem;
The battle bow shall be cut off.
He shall speak peace to the nations;
His dominion shall be ‘from sea to sea,
And from the River to the ends of the earth.’

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

The apostle Paul wrote the scripture you're referring to, in fact he wrote almost 1/3 of the New Testament scripture.

When he said, "how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures," he was referring to the scriptures of his day, the Old Testament.

There are many scriptures in the OT that refer to Christ and His dying for our sins. Probably the most well known is Isaiah 53. David wrote quite a bit about Christ in his Psalms, and mentioned several times by types and shadow the death of Christ.

When you read Isaiah 53 it is chilling, knowing that Christ was born some 700 years after Isaiah wrote this.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @leefromcanada, this link may be helpful to you as it shows prophetic OT verses/passages next to the NT passages where they are fulfilled: Where do the Hebrew Scriptures prophesy the death and resurrection of the Messiah? | GotQuestions.org

--David

Isaiah 53
5 He was pierced through for our transgressions,
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him,
And by His scourging we are healed.
6 All of us like sheep have gone astray,
Each of us has turned to his own way;
But the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all
To fall on Him.

Reactions: RBPerry
Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John called Jesus "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the universe". This means Jesus was a sacrifice, that He died in my place so that I won't have to.

The entire bible tells us that we can never perform enough "good deeds" to somehow "make up for" the wrong things (sins) we have done. God taught Abraham about the gospel by first telling him he needed to sacrifice his son; that anything less was not enough to make up for his sins. Of course, not even that would have overcome them.

God stopped Abraham, said "do not harm the boy". Instead, Abraham found "a ram caught by his own horns" and sacrificed that. God was showing Abraham that nothing he could do was good enough; that God himself must remove Abraham's sins or the stain would remain forever.

Horns are a symbol for power. God is here saying that there would be a substitute who would die in place of Abraham, but God would be totally responsible for Abraham's salvation, there was nothing he could do for himself. Many centuries later Jesus was crucified, not that He was forced to be, but that He willingly and by His own power chose to complete the sacrifice.

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Upvote 0

MoreQuestions

Jan 10, 2020
Winson
✟10,716.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private

Whose sins?
Which sins?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

In the Gospels Jesus tells His disciples,

"And He told them, 'This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day,'" - Luke 24:46

Early Christians took certain texts, such as Isaiah 53, and saw in them statements about Jesus. So we get this exchange in the Acts of the Apostles,

"And there was an Ethiopian, a eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure. He had come to Jerusalem to worship and was returning, seated in his chariot, and he was reading the prophet Isaiah. And the Spirit said to Philip, 'Go over and join this chariot.' So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, 'Do you understand what you are reading?' And he said, 'How can I, unless someone guides me?' And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. Now the passage of the Scripture that he was reading was this:

'Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter
and like a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he opens not his mouth.
In his humiliation justice was denied him.
Who can describe his generation?
For his life is taken away from the earth.'

And the eunuch said to Philip, 'About whom, I ask you, does the prophet say this, about himself or about someone else?' Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with this Scripture he told him the good news about Jesus.
" - Acts 8:27-35

So when St. Paul says that Christ died according to the Scriptures, and Christ rose according to the Scriptures, he is referring to what were known as the Scriptures then, roughly corresponding to what would eventually be known as the Old Testament of the Bible. As Christians looked and saw in all which had come before Jesus as pointing to Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What does it mean that Christ died for our sins? (left out the "according to the scriptures" part)

There might be several ways to answer that question. But perhaps in brief: Human beings suffer and are estranged from God on account of sin, and by sin we mean our waywardness away from God and His ways. So because of sin we are estranged from God, Jesus came to reconcile us back to God. Christians understand that by Christ's life, death, and resurrection He has accomplished this, including our sins being forgiven, and thus providing righteousness for us that we might walk with God and live with God. So to say that Christ died for our sins means that Christ's death addresses the problem of human sinfulness. The result is that our sins are forgiven, and that we are restored to a right relationship toward God. All the exact details of all of this are matters of theological debate and speculation within Christianity; which is why I have attempted to be as bare bones as I could in my description here.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: ldonjohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brianlear

Living life in the pacific NW
Mar 31, 2012
✟9,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
salvation is a topic fraught with misinterpretation, very likely due to the use of transactional language. The concept of "debts" and "repayment" was extremely important to people living at that time, and universally understood. For that reason, the topic of salvation in the bible relied heavily on the use of "transactional" language, which was making an analogy between a very obtuse and cosmic event, and something very concrete and earthly (money and debt) that anyone would understand. I would encourage you not to take the transactional language literally, lest you miss the basic point.

Salvation is not about you having a cosmic checking account that needs to be balanced. God created the universe and he doesn't need to invent some convoluted way for you to "repay" a debt that he himself knew you would accumulate.

He died for our sins. Meaning, we are all broken and disconnected from God (thats what sin is), he sent Jesus to Earth to teach and guide us, and show us the way back to him, which ultimately, meant he had to die. That's really it. God's own son, and we killed him. But God knew that it would happen, in fact relied on it. Because to finish the story, he had to bring Jesus back from death, to show us that yes, indeed, he will finish your story too. When you die, he is going to bring you back to life!

Last edited:
Upvote 0