• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

What does this icon represent?

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟321,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This video by Fr John Behr, dean of St. Vladimir Seminary, best explains the Holy Trinity. But my question is about something other than the Trinity. It is about the icon. Who does it represent?

It represents the 3 "angels" in Genesis 18 that visited Abraham and Sarah. It also represents the Trinity.

Last edited:

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟653,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This video by Fr John Behr, dean of St. Vladimir Seminary, best explains the Holy Trinity. But my question is about something other than the Trinity. It is about the icon. Who does it represent?

The Icon is called the Hospitality of Abraham. The persons depicted are the 3 vistors of Genesis 18.
It's symbolicly used to represent the Trinity.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,502,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
it’s the Angel of the Lord (Christ) and two other angels who came to Abraham at Mamre and spoke with one voice. so, as stated before by others, it’s used to represent the Trinity.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,502,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It also demonstrates the monarchia of the Father, as the other two persons look to the one person on the left.
and the three equal staffs show equality of authority and power

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,502,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And the silhouettes of the angels on the left and right form a chalice, in which the 2nd angel, representing Christ, sits.
He’s also sitting in front of the oak of Mamre (the tree of the Cross)

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟520,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Fascinating. Thank you @Andrewn for posting this thread!

I used this icon as my profile picture before switching to the Coptic icon I am presently using of our most glorious lady Theotokos holding our young Savior, the incarnate Logos, Christ our True God, in response to an outbreak of Nestorianism and Antidicomarianism on the forum.

However, Andrei Rublev’s icon of the Trinity remains one of my favorites. However I never knew all the symbolism involved in it. I think I need to read up on the specific meaning of some of our icons where people are commonly confused. I have heard two different versions of what the two sides of God’s face in the 6th century icon of Christ Pantocrator mean, for instance, and I suspect there are details in other icons I am missing. I also suspect there are aspects of the Image Not Made By Hands I have failed to appreciate, or do not understand, for example, the appearance of our Lord’s hair in that icon.

Also, forgive me, but to my great embarrassment I forgot the name of the icon this thread is about.

Two of my other favorite icons aside from the standard icons such ss the Mercy Seat and the Last Supper that appear on the iconostasis of nearly every Eastern Orthodox church and also most Coptic Orthodox churches, which I all love, are the icons The Ladder of Divine Ascent, and Extreme Humility.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums