What does the UCC call a sin?

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is sin and evil a part of UCC teaching? If so, what is the basis the UCC uses for calling something evil or a sin? (sound of crickets chirping)

Of course the UCC teaches about sin and evil. Evil is something/someone that works against the will of God. Sin is to fall short of God's expectations. (the crickets left)

Upvote 0

BiblebelievingChristian

Dec 4, 2010
✟379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course the UCC teaches about sin and evil. Evil is something/someone that works against the will of God. Sin is to fall short of God's expectations. (the crickets left)
So do you believe in "love the sinner but hate the sin"? (the crickets returned)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Supernaut

Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So do you believe in "love the sinner but hate the sin"? (the crickets returned)

That depends on the congregation. Each UCC is run autonomously. One congregation may follow that line of thinking while others are less concerned with the actions of others without direct effect on them.

(the crickets are dead)

Upvote 0

AngCath

Jul 7, 2005
✟12,588.00
Faith
Anglican
I'm not UCC but I do interact with them quite regularly and as Supernaut has said, you have to take into account their congregationalist polity. Some are very liberal and others are quite traditional (yes, the denomination is socially liberal over all). Some are more Reformed and others more Lutheran. I recommend you look here (Testimonies, not tests of the faith) and you'll see what their theological testimonies include (representative of their history of uniting churches).

Upvote 0

rayodeluz

Inadaptado
May 25, 2010
✟15,583.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
The UCC congregation I attend is pretty non-judgemental. I enjoy it there because like them I realize that we are all sinners (Romans 3:23) and are only saved by the faith we have in Christ. We all fall into sin. It's impossible to avoid while we're in this body on earth. Read Romans 7. And Jesus said we don't even have to do the act, we only have to think it. I like UCC because it concentrates on teaching about the loving grace and salvation Jesus gives rather than concentrating on how people act, what they do, wear, etc., as some other churches do. It accepts everyone regardless of sin (like Jesus did) and teaches that everyone can be saved through Christ and that we should love one another as Christ has loved us. That's what Chistianity is about, isn't it?

Reactions: Supernaut
Upvote 0

rayodeluz

Inadaptado
May 25, 2010
✟15,583.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Are the crickets chirping "empty sarcasm"?

Cuz that's what I'm hearing.

The "crickets chirping" comment might have been sarcasm, but IMO there really was no call for making that comment. Questions are fine, but there's no reason to be insulting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Supernaut

Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The "crickets chirping" comment might have been sarcasm, but IMO there really was no call for making that comment. Questions are fine, but there's no reason to be insulting.

Every now and then the conservatives come in. Usually it is just a question...sometimes they come for an argument. The snarky comments can be a bit much and are not Christ-like.....but we are big enough to forgive in the UCC.

Upvote 0

rayodeluz

Inadaptado
May 25, 2010
✟15,583.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Every now and then the conservatives come in. Usually it is just a question...sometimes they come for an argument. The snarky comments can be a bit much and are not Christ-like.....but we are big enough to forgive in the UCC.

You are correct of course. Sometimes emotions get the best of me :blush: The crickets chirping poster is forgiven!

Upvote 0

Supernaut

Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are correct of course. Sometimes emotions get the best of me :blush: The crickets chirping poster is forgiven!

They have many tricks....getting a rise out of us is one of them. It is hard not to respond in kind. In time though you will get the hang of it...ignoring their comments.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0