Manhattan, KS
✟189,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This looks to me like the offramp from biblical Christianity onto some strange backroad religion, all due respect.

Being disobedient to the Spirit is backroad religion? You say "biblical Christianity" as if your version of "Christianity" is such. Chances are likely those who claim such a thing are far from the real deal.

Anyways, that is your opinion and it is unfortunate. It is probably best you exit the discussion then as I see no further fruit from your comments. *forum rules

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do we learn to distinguish his voice from the countless others that are bouncing around in our heads?
Of course, first of all, it has to be Him speaking! If you never have had that encounter with Him, ask Him for it! (Matthew 7:7-8).

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟799,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In regards to knowing that Yahweh is using someone to speak to us:

An example is when folks hear a sermon and everything seems to be the same but at that time for you " For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Heb 4:12

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So the question is exactly how it sounds. I intend this thread to help everyone understand a bit more on what the Holy Spirit's urging sound like or feel like.

If you have any experience or words please share them!

This is how the Word records the Holy Spirit speaking as given in Acts 13:2.

What would that have been like to observe? Would there have been just the words spoken, hanging in the air, with no observable speaker? I don't have a clue.

Acts 13:1-3 King James Version (KJV)
1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.

2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.

3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Felicia Dee

Sep 3, 2019
Sacramento
✟7,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Engaged
I heard the holly spirit for the 1st time 10 years ago while sitting in my room reading the bible it scared me it said loud and clear LISTEN! I was alil spooked even put down my bible and looked around. I havent heard it since than. Ive talked to God about it and asked when will i hear him again? When will he come to me again? So i wait!

Upvote 0

Felicia Dee

Sep 3, 2019
Sacramento
✟7,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Engaged
Lets say for example you grew up with someone a friend a brother or sister you know them very well so you know how they talk how they act how they do things. The more you get to know God and his character and word youll be able to distinguish when its him because you know him.

• Winner
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lets say for example you grew up with someone a friend a brother or sister you know them very well so you know how they talk how they act how they do things. The more you get to know God and his character and word youll be able to distinguish when its him because you know him.

This is very true!

Hard to recognize a voice if you are not spending time with the person. We can't know God's voice for certain if we aren't spending time with him. My prayer life lately has (brutally honest) been non-existent, but for who do want to learn to recognize God's voice, just spend time with him.

I would also advise not speaking a lot, just say: Lord, I'm here, I want to know you, however you speak I am listening. Help me know you and your voice!

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Ruach Hachodesh (Hebrew for Holy Spirit)speaks to us in varieties of ways. Through others, through my own heart, through my dog, many ways. I use to have a dog that every time I was up and moving he was so close behind me that his nose would hit the back of my leg. One day I heard God in my spirit say, "that's how closely I want you to follow me Barbara".

Another time, I had just come home from work and a group of children was playing where I had to walk to get to my apartment. As I got near them suddenly one of the little girls, maybe 3 or 4 years old ran into my legs, throwing her arms around me and stomping and screaming. I started to reach down and pull her off of me when (in my spirit), I heard a voice scream at me, "put your hands in the air". LOL Thankfully, I did exactly as I was told and just stood there with her holding me and stomping and screaming with my hands in the air like I had a gun to my head.

After a moment I heard someone from another apartment a few doors down holler for her to come on and I looked over and there was a woman standing there watching, holding a camera just waiting to get a picture of me with my hands onher child.

Another time, at the church I was attending we had a visiting missionary to Muslim people tell us that Allah is the same God as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I had Muslim neighbors so I thought I would give it a try in using his name when I talked to them. The first time I did it, I felt a slight "lurch" in my stomach. I thought "hmm". Then a few minutes later I did it again. This time, it was a violent lurch. I thought, "Ok God, I get the point".

I've physically felt something touch my hand as if stopping me from something I was about to do (it was dangerous). I've had dreams. Or, just due to knowing what scripture said on the issue, I knew what the right thing to do was.

A good way to know if something is not the Holy Spirit is to know the scriptuers. If the voice you hear or sense is telling you to do something that God forbids, it's not a holy voice you are hearing. Anyway, those are some of my experiences

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟799,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Learned I need to increase my awareness because He speaks and sounds in so many different ways. Scripture says consider the lilies and consider the birds. Consider means to pry, investigate, study intently.
"Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." Luk 12:27
"Consider the birds of the sky: They don’t sow or reap or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren’t you worth more than they?" Matt 6:26

Also, When David and his men returned to camp and found their dwellings burnt and their families gone, it states he and his men wept until they couldnt. His men talked about killing him. But David encouraged himself in the Lord then asks God for direction (I Sam 30). To me, it's amazing that David, a warrior, didn't assume Yahweh wanted him to get his wife and family. But David often asks God for instructions

ButvI wonder how much of a key is found in that David encouraged himself in the Lord FIRST then asks for God's directions. Also, the answer could have been the opposite.

Additionally, we can practice listening and then check for accuracy. He wants us to hear Him (John 10:27) An example is asking Him what color is the next traffic light going to be when I approach it? Our accuracy usually increases with practice. Then in critical times, we won't be wondering is God saying this or is it me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Learned I need to increase my awareness because He speaks and sounds in so many different ways. Scripture says consider the lilies and consider the birds. Consider means to pry, investigate, study intently.
"Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." Luk 12:27
"Consider the birds of the sky: They don’t sow or reap or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren’t you worth more than they?" Matt 6:26

Also, When David and his men returned to camp and found their dwellings burnt and their families gone, it states he and his men wept until they couldnt. His men talked about killing him. But David encouraged himself in the Lord then asks God for direction (I Sam 30). To me, it's amazing that David, a warrior, didn't assume Yahweh wanted him to get his wife and family. But David often asks God for instructions

ButvI wonder how much of a key is found in that David encouraged himself in the Lord FIRST then asks for God's directions. Also, the answer could have been the opposite.

Additionally, we can practice listening and then check for accuracy. He wants us to hear Him (John 10:27) An example is asking Him what color is the next traffic light going to be when I approach it? Our accuracy usually increases with practice. Then in critical times, we won't be wondering is God saying this or is it me.

This actually spoke to me today, so thank you for posting this!

I am going through a rather chaotic situation at work that I truly wish I could handle better than I have. If you have seen CF's front page here recently you'll see the post there.

But reading your response here I can internalize David's struggle of sorts. It is an entirely different set of circumstances, my wife wasn't kidnapped, and my village wasn't burnt, but my life feels rather chaotic right now and David's response is pretty spot on where I believe I need to be.

So thank you for posting this, and just in this thread context, this is one such way the Holy Spirit can and does speak!

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
So glad this helped. Think it's interesting that there arent any details about how David encouraged himself in The Lord.

I think a couple of ways he could have encouraged himself was through writing psalms and singing them to the Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Agree with you. Wondered which ones he would have chosen?
With me, I tend to make my prayer into a song. Make it up as I go. Or a song will pop into my head and I start singing it. It doesn't always sound pretty to me, but it works. :D

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think some make this much harder then it really is. What Chris said.. or God through Him was His sheep know His voice. So in the NT when its written the "Holy Spirit" said. Its God. How do you know you ask? You know that you know that you know. How? You just know. See if I have to wonder guess ..its not Him. Not something I had to learn. His show KNOW He said. He can not not lie. Everything good comes from God. Its always to give bring life ..to up lift give hope.. encourage.. and always points to Him. He always gets the glory the praise the thanks. We..or I never take it.

Be it dreams visions.. for ME never has black in it. And if something tries to talk.. well my mom had past..when home.. a few months later I had this dream of my mom. So in the dream I said if this is really you.. then say we are washed by the blood of Jesus.. it mumbled something and vanished.

The little things we do.. words we say.. can open the door for the enemy. We are a holy people

Upvote 0