What does Scripture Mean About Perfection?

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is modern Christianity in a nutshell.

If I may, I will only mention this once as I believe this to be a key aspect but am unwilling to shift the topic.

I believe the role water baptism plays in this is vastly understated by the church. Paul makes it abundantly clear in Romans 6:3-4, Galatians 3:27, Colossians 2:11-12 that baptism is when the old body of sin is done away with and we are birthed to walk in newness of life in Christ.

Regardless, most will vehemently fight against what is presented in the OP. It is far easier to believe God is ok with us living in sin and just ask forgiveness than it is to live truly holy and sanctified in Him.

What we don't realize is living truly Holy and sanctified is something we never could do, on our own. God does it for us when we abide in His Son by walking with the Holy Spirit. It gets no easier than that.

Matthew 11:28-30, Jude 1:24, John 15:1-6, Galatians 5:16-25

Oy vey! You said "Regardless, most will vehemently fight against what is presented in the OP. It is far easier to believe God is ok with us living in sin and just ask forgiveness than it is to live truly holy and sanctified in Him."

Two things wrong with that.

1) "Most will vehemently fight against what is presented in the OP". So you know in advance that what others say will disagree with you? Did you ever think that those who disagree with you might just be right? Or are you the repository of all truth that somehow escapes others?

2) Why can't you differentiate between living in sin and sinning? Everyone sins but very, very few Christians "live in sin" (which makes me wonder if they're truly Christians).

Christians are truly holy and sanctified in Christ, otherwise Christ died for nothing. We are not perfect so we will sin, but we are forgiven by God for our imperfection. We don't have to ask forgiveness for something we are already forgiven for.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟190,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nice try at changing the definition, but it doesn't work.

You said "Can we abide in Jesus and sin at the same time?" There is a wold of difference between sinning and living in sin. Do you ever sin? Of course. Do you live in sin? I hope not.

Read with some comprehension please...

Can we abide in Jesus and sin, MEANING:

Can we abide in Jesus and abide in sin.

I didn't think I had to add that second abide in there as it was presumed. But ok whatever, doesn't change the definition nor the response that you CANNOT abide in Jesus and sin.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟190,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oy vey! You said "Regardless, most will vehemently fight against what is presented in the OP. It is far easier to believe God is ok with us living in sin and just ask forgiveness than it is to live truly holy and sanctified in Him."

Two things wrong with that.

1) "Most will vehemently fight against what is presented in the OP". So you know in advance that what others say will disagree with you? Did you ever think that those who disagree with you might just be right? Or are you the repository of all truth that somehow escapes others?

2) Why can't you differentiate between living in sin and sinning? Everyone sins but very, very few Christians "live in sin" (which makes me wonder if they're truly Christians).

Christians are truly holy and sanctified in Christ, otherwise Christ died for nothing. We are not perfect so we will sin, but we are forgiven by God for our imperfection. We don't have to ask forgiveness for something we are already forgiven for.

Did Christ die for us to keep us in sin? Or to allow us to continue to sin?

“What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.””
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1:15-16‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭2:1‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Peter, John, and Paul say that it is possible to not sin, not only is it possible each one of us should live in such a way. I take their word for the matter and God's.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Read with some comprehension please...

Can we abide in Jesus and sin, MEANING:

Can we abide in Jesus and abide in sin.

I didn't think I had to add that second abide in there as it was presumed. But ok whatever, doesn't change the definition nor the response that you CANNOT abide in Jesus and sin.

It's not my fault that you didn't write what you meant. "Can we abide in Jesus and sin" and "Can we abide in Jesus and abide in sin" are two entirely different things. In the first sentence, "sin" is a verb. In the second, "sin" is a state of being.

You CAN abide in Jesus and sin. You CANNOT abide in Jesus and abide in sin.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟190,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not my fault that you didn't write what you meant. "Can we abide in Jesus and sin" and "Can we abide in Jesus and abide in sin" are two entirely different things. In the first sentence, "sin" is a verb. In the second, "sin" is a state of being.

It is your fault you didn't comprehend what I wrote. :)

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟190,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Besides, you are still technically in error, for the moment a person sins their fellowship with God ceases until they confess.

God is LIGHT, and in Him is NO DARKNESS at all. 1 John 1:5

His word not mine.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,199,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But here's the deal, they aren't "without fault" before God because they are virgins. They are "without fault" because they follow the lamb by faith.

You cannot take scissors and cut out the part of the text that you do not like. It mentions their deeds in context to how they are without fault before the throne of God. Verse 5 says there was no guile found in their mouths; And verse 4 says they were virgins. Verse 4 also says they follow Jesus whereby he goes. Following implies obedience and not a mental acknowledgement. These deeds in verses 4-5 are part of the reason why they were without fault before the throne of God. In fact, this lines up with what James says because James says faith without works is dead.

You said:
And Enoch pleased God by faith. That's the whole point of that chapter is that without faith it's impossible to please God. (Hebrews 11:6)

Try re-reading the whole chapter of Hebrews 11. The point is that their faith brought forth works and deeds as a part of their faith.

As for pleasing God:

The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord . .
how to be holy in body and spirit. (1 Corinthians 7:32, 1 Corinthians 7:34)
. . . it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:13)
. . . I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant
offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God (Philippians 4:18).
. . . walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good
work and increasing in the knowledge of God. (Colossians 1:10)
Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. (Colossians 3:20)
. . . we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to
walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more. (1 Thessalonians
4:1)
[Grateful prayer] is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior. (1 Timothy 2:3)
But if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to
their own household and to make some return to their parents, for this is pleasing in the
sight of God (1 Timothy 5:4).

You said:
The passage is about love. Even if love is a choice, it's not a choice that anyone would make without first seeing God's grace and then loving their neighbor or enemy as a result of faith. (Matthew 5:44-45)

1 John 3:15 says if a believer hates his brother they are like a murderer, and no murderer has eternal life abiding in them. So loving is essential to being right with God. 1 John 4:8 says he that does not love does not know God. Paul defines loving your neighbor as the fulfillment of the keeping of the moral law (See Romans 13:8-10).

You said:
Here's the problem I have with Wesleyan perfection,

I don't care what Wesleyan says. I did not learn Sinless Perfection from him but I learned it from the Bible.

You said:
from my perspective it tells people to be something without mentioning God's grace as a determining factor. (1 Peter 1:14-16) Holiness is not something you do, it's something you are.

I cannot speak for him seeing I did not read all his works. Truth is determined by God's Word and not by what some group teaches. Do you throw out the doctrne of the Trinity because Catholics believe in it? I sure hope not. So the test of the truth of Sinless Perfection is examing God's Word in what it says and it is not about you examing what men teach on it.

You said:
A good point. However... Changing one's lifestyle doesn't just happen.

This is simply a lie. There are many lives who have been instantly changed by accepting Jesus.

For there is nothing that can tranform or changes lives more than Jesus Christ; That is why God's people preach the good news of Jesus Christ so as to be saved by Him. For Jesus has fixed up broken homes (or familes). Jesus has drawn the alcoholic away from the bottle. Jesus has helped the gambler to put down his cards and walk away from the game. Jesus has helped the drug addict from the power of the needle. Jesus has helped the harlot from being a slave to sexual sin and money. For Jesus Christ changes lives. Jesus changed my life and He continues to change lives today (Making them new creations in His image).

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

(2 Corinthians 5:17).

You said:
There has to be a process of following Jesus that makes one more like him. (John 8:11-12) Truly those who are in darkness have seen a great light. We know that Mary Magdelene (a former prostitute) was a follower of Jesus, meaning she actually walked with him around Judea. We follow Jesus in a more spiritual way now that is by faith.

Mary was not a practicing prostitute while she followed Jesus.
Jesus told the woman caught in the act of adultery to, "sin no more." (John 8:11).
To say that she could keep on sinning would be a violation of the words of Jesus here.

You said:
I like how you left off the last part of the verse, "Then come follow me."

I do not see how that helps you. Come follow me implies an action of picking up your cross, denying yourself and following (obeying) Jesus.

Besides, the second to the last verse of that chapter says,
"And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." (Matthew 19:29).

So this is not about some sin and still be saved gospel going on here that you have chosen to see here.

You said:
Referring to persecution not sanctification.

Not at all. For all who live Godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution (2 Timothy 3:12).

You said:
The two verse before that imply that the do this by the fruit of the Spirit, not out of human pursuit.

Nowhere did I say this was soley by human pursuit. The true man of God cooperates and walks with God and can only overcome sin and or bring forth fruit by allowing the Lord to do the good work through him. For it is the reason why the 24 elders had cast their crowns down before Jesus in Revelation.

You said:
Another good one. But... Although it seems that there's a dichotomy between faith and works in James, verse 22 of chapter 2 says that faith was what drove works in the case of Abraham.

Why does everyone think I am denying God's grace every time I preach Sinless Perfection? Sigh. I am not denying that Jesus saves us. I believe we are "Initally Saved" and "Ultimately Saved" by God's grace. But the grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness (Titus 2:11-12). The grace of God is not a license for immorality (See Jude 1:4) (NIV). Oh, and by the way, James says faith without works is dead (James 2:17). James also says, "Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." (James 1:21-22). James says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble (James 4:6).

You said:
The next verse in the chapter warns against placing your confidence or faith in yourself and in your perfection. Verse 16 tells you where to turn faith toward.

Nowhere am I suggesting in putting faith in yourself. Also, how does that undo the truth of this verse? It says God does not tempt you above what you are able to bear but he has provided a way of escape for you. Again, read the verse and believe it!

You said:
Shall I continue?

By all means, but will it help you to truly see what God's Word says plainly?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Did Christ die for us to keep us in sin? Or to allow us to continue to sin?

“What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.””
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭1:15-16‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭2:1‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Peter, John, and Paul say that it is possible to not sin, not only is it possible each one of us should live in such a way. I take their word for the matter and God's.

Do you ever sin? If not, I think you should proclaim that to the world. As I said above, there is a huge difference between sinning and living in sin.

I can't believe that any sincere Christian wants to sin, but we are not yet perfect so we will sin now and then. Why else would John write, "“My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin.” He wouldn't have to write that if there was no chance of ever sinning.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Besides, you are still technically in error, for the moment a person sins their fellowship with God ceases until they confess.

God is LIGHT, and in Him is NO DARKNESS at all. 1 John 1:5

His word not mine.

That is 100% wrong. We don't have to go through a cycle of sinning, repenting, sinning, repenting, sinning, repenting, on and on and on... We are not living under the Old Covenant.

Our sins are forgiven in Christ and in him we live and move and have our being. Since we are in Christ and are the adopted children of God we don't lose fellowship with him -- ever.

• Winner
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Also, to follow the Lamb, implies an action and not a mental ascent or acknowledgement that Jesus is one's Savior.
Well how do you follow the lamb? By faith?
Try re-reading the whole chapter of Hebrews 11. The point is that their faith brought forth works and deeds as a part of their faith.
Well I'm not saying that works have no part in faith, just that Christians should not stress them over belief. If you don't believe in Jesus first then holiness is not what you are. Because of the holiness imputed that the holiness manifests in your life apart from making oneself do things.
The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord . .
how to be holy in body and spirit. (1 Corinthians 7:32, 1 Corinthians 7:34)
Are we all called to the same exact lifestyle?
1 John 3:15 says if a believer hates his brother they are like a murderer, and no murderer has eternal life abiding in them. So loving is essential to being right with God. 1 John 4:8 says he that does not love does not know God. Paul defines loving your neighbor as the fulfillment of the keeping of the moral law (See Romans 13:8-10).
How does that refute what I said? (If in fact that's what you're trying to do)
I cannot speak for him seeing I did not read all his works. Truth is determined by God's Word and not by what some group teaches. Do you throw out the doctrne of the Trinity because Catholics believe in it? I sure hope not. So the test of the truth of Sinless Perfection is examing God's Word in what it says and it is not about you examing what men teach on it.
So you're sinless?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why does everyone think I am denying God's grace every time I preach Sinless Perfection?
Because to receive God's grace is to receive Jesus' righteousness, not your own.

• Winner
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well how do you follow the lamb? By faith?

Well I'm not saying that works have no part in faith, just that Christians should not stress them over belief. If you don't believe in Jesus first then holiness is not what you are. Because of the holiness imputed that the holiness manifests in your life apart from making oneself do things.

Are we all called to the same exact lifestyle?

How does that refute what I said? (If in fact that's what you're trying to do)

So you're sinless?

1) Is this directed at me?
2) I can't follow what you're saying.
3) Yes, in God's eyes I am sinless because I am in Christ.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,199,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I never said it was.

You said, I quote:

Sin" covers a LOT MORE than just that:
Anything not done in faith.
Anything that falls short of God's perfect will - even if you do not know what that is. Even if it is beyond your control." ~ Quote by: Dave W.​

Are you saying that some sins like murder can lead to spiritual death for a believer if not repented of?
Or do you believe that the believer will never do such a thing?
What about other sins like lying or looking at inappropriate content?
Same thing as murder? Or are they different?

You said:
The COMMAND (yes it is a command) to baptize is NOT incumbent on the new believer; but is directed to the evangelist:

Matthew 28:19
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Peter tells the church at Pentecost to be baptized (Acts of the Apostles 2:38).
Are you saying that they all were evangelists there?
Was not Peter commanding the new believer to be baptized?
So I do not see baptism as being only for the evangelist but for all believers.

You said:
Not arguing about degrees.
But you are saying "sinless." That means ANY degree, no matter how slight.

When I talk about Sinless Perfection, I am referring to the goal of Sinless Perfection and I am talking about sins that do not lead unto spiritual death or separation from God (if not repented of). Not having reached a state of Sinless Perfection does not mean one is not saved. But there are sins unto spiritual death (not dealing with SInless Perfection), that if not confessed and forsaken, will lead to the Lake of Fire.

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1) Is this directed at me?
2) I can't follow what you're saying.
3) Yes, in God's eyes I am sinless because I am in Christ.
No, it was directed at Jason0047.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,199,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And as I have shown in the previous post, the command to baptize is NOT directed at the new believer. So they are not responsible for it.

Yes, every believer is responsible for being baptized. Acts of the Apostles 2:38 says everyone was to be baptized at Pentecost.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,199,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because to receive God's grace is to receive Jesus' righteousness, not your own.

And nowhere did I say it is my righteousness (Which you keep falsely asserting). I believe Jesus saves both in Justifiation (i.e. having a belief on Jesus, and believing His death, and resurrection, and asking Jesus to forgive us), and in Sanctification (i.e. by Christ doing the good work through our hearts and lives). For Jesus says you can do nothing without me (John 15:5).

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And nowhere did I say it is my righteousness (Which you keep falsely asserting). I believe Jesus saves both in Justifiation (i.e. having a belief on Jesus, and believing His death, and resurrection, and asking Jesus to forgive us), and in Sanctification (i.e. by Christ doing the good work through our hearts and lives). For Jesus says you can do nothing without me (John 15:5).
But you say Scripture demands that we be sinless.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You said, I quote:

Sin" covers a LOT MORE than just that:
Anything not done in faith.
Anything that falls short of God's perfect will - even if you do not know what that is. Even if it is beyond your control." ~ Quote by: Dave W.
I said they were all sins, NOT that all of them were equal.
Are you saying that some sins like murder can lead to spiritual death for a believer if not repented of?
Or do you believe that the believer will never do such a thing?
What about other sins like lying or looking at inappropriate content?
Same thing as murder? Or are they different?
Clearly there are differences in severity. But I see salvation as not being with or without sin, but being in the Covenant with God. Jer 31 says that in the New Covenant is forgiveness of sins. (and not the other way around)

Yes we can lose salvation; but it is like making a divorce. It has to be a conscious choice to abandon/void the covenant.
Peter tells the church at Pentecost to be baptized (Acts of the Apostles 2:38).
Are you saying that they all were evangelists there?
Was not Peter commanding the new believer to be baptized?
Peter was discharging his own responsibility per Matt 28. He is INSTRUCTING those coming to faith as he was commanded to so.
When I talk about Sinless Perfection, I am referring to the goal of Sinless Perfection and I am talking about sins that do not lead unto spiritual death or separation from God (if not repented of). Not having reached a state of Sinless Perfection does not mean one is not saved. But there are sins unto spiritual death (not dealing with SInless Perfection), that if not confessed and forsaken, will lead to the Lake of Fire.
But that is NOT the jist of "sinless perfectionism." That says no sin whatsoever, no matter how minor or insignificant. Absolute perfection.

Yes, certain sins if not repented from will lead us down the path to renouncing our faith and the New Covenant, either by word or deed. God alone knows where that point is for each of us.

But remember: "He is mindful of our frame, that we are but dust."

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,199,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But you say Scripture demands that we be sinless.

I did not say that. Jesus said it. Jesus says to two people, "Sin no more."

Jesus says, "be ye perfect."

Peter says, "he that has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin."

Paul says they that are Christ's have crucified the affections and lusts.

God says be ye holy because I am holy.

Paul says we are to cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit perfecting holiness in the fear of God (2 Corinthians 7:1).

I really just don't think that is your favorite verse in the Bible.

How on Earth does such a verse even make sense with your belief?

Upvote 0