Jul 7, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I am a new comer to Christ and have gotten many replies that include 'turn to so-and-so and read it'. I have done so, and I get a much better understanding but now I have a question about what I read. In Acts 2 17-19 (or how ever you write it, lol, BTW, how do you write the verse/chapter its in?) it talks about 'prophesy'. What does it mean? Tnak you!

-kate-

Post Script: If you have any chapters/verses you think I should read, please let me know.

Ceris

I R the Nutness (and I love sedatta )
Mar 10, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,150.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello Kate.
First of all the most common way to write chapters and verses is like this: Acts 2:17-19.
As for what this vese means, the apostle Peter is quoting Joel 2:28-32. There are several things of importance here. First Peter is quoting the prophet Joel to show that the disciples are Christ were prophecized by the Old Testament prophets. Joel 2:28-32 is a prophecy of the "last days".

Part of the prophecy is that God will "pour out my Spirit upon all flesh" (Acts 2:17). This is a referrence to the Pentecost (which has just happened in the Book of Acts) and how God poured out the Holy Spirit upon all his disciples. Peter is quoting here to show to the Jews that what has just happened (the pouring out of the Spirit) is a fufillment of prophecy. How were the Jews supposed to know this? By two ways: one is the speaking in tounges by the disciples of Christ at Pentecost (speaking in tounges is when a person is filled with the Holy Spirit and speaks. When this happens, all those that hear the person hear it in their native language.) The second sign that part of this prophecy was being fufilled is that "your sons and daughters will prophesy). If you look at Acts 21:9, you will see an example of this (Phillip's 4 daughters having the gift of prophecy).

Anothing worthy of notice is that the prophecy includes daughters and slaves/servants. This means that the gift of prophecy will be given without distinction of sex or status or age (note the mention of both young and old men). Hope this helps answer your question.

God Bless,
Ceris

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are those with the gift of speaking in tongues...they are able to speak in ways that we have heard and ways we have not...people will be able to tell others what will happen....I believe that the last days are not upon us just yet, although they may be, I'm not sure when they are, as no one else really is either.

(you write it like this....2:17-19)

I would suggest that you read John...it is an awesome book about Salvation and such...also, I like Philippians, Ephesians, and Colossians...they are shorter boooks.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.