Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey there! I'm glad you clicked on this thread, because it means you're interested in this subject just as I am - please feel free to comment any ideas, thoughts, or arguments so that we can have as much posted on this thread about this topic as possible.

That being said, I've been studying this idea a lot in the past few weeks using scripture and prayer of course, and I feel as if I've come to a couple of conclusions based on my own personal examination. With that, I would like to post this so that I can learn more about what others have found in their Christian walk when it comes to walking in the Spirit.

My Question to This Problem
I started out by asking myself: "What does it mean to walk in the Spirit?" After all, we're implored and pretty much commanded to walk in the Spirit in Galatians 5:16, especially for the purpose of resisting the lust of the flesh. At first, I thought that was my answer - "Walking in the Spirit is the means by which we are able to overcome temptation and lust." Yet, I still felt unsatisfied. Though that answer is accurate, I still felt, that, to answer the original question, it would require a much more in depth look; and what I've found is that there are multiple facets and avenues for even asking this question. By reading Galatians 5, I of course found the consequence for walking in the Spirit: which is to bear the fruit of the Spirit as talked about in the last part of the chapter, but that still didn't answer my question: "What does it mean? Does it mean to consciously make the decision every day, even every moment to walk in the Spirit, or do we walk in it naturally because Christ is in us? Does it mean, that, to walk in the Spirit means we're saved, or rather just simply assured of salvation? Does it mean we have to walk in the Spirit to be a son of God?" Etc. It was almost an endless amount of questions, and it was most definitely overwhelming for me because of how deep into a rabbit hole this subject can go.

Examination of the Scripture
We know that Galatians is written to a church of saved people; So, Paul giving this cause-and-effect type of language in Gal. 5:16 for walking in the Spirit, doesn't explicitly say that we must walk in the Spirit to be saved. Cause: Walk in the Spirit. Effect: Ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. However, when I looked to Romans 8 (specifically Romans 8:14), Paul says that those who are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. This confused me. If we are not led by the Spirit of God, are we not a son of God then? Obviously the scripture gave the answer, but I got hung up on it. In Gal. 5, the language wasn't as strong in the section where he talked about 'walking in the Spirit,' as Rom. 8 was with the section about "walking after the Spirit." Rom. 8 says this: Cause: Be in Christ Jesus, and walk after the Spirit. Effect: There is now therefore no condemnation.

So I asked myself, what's the difference? One passage talks about walking after the Spirit, and the other talks about walking in the Spirit.

My Conclusion
I see there are two different spiritual walks as a Christian, however not being necessarily exclusive of one another. The two are these: 1). Walking after or being led of the Spirit. 2). Walking in the Spirit. I've concluded that both have different functions.

1). Walking after or being led of the Spirit. I believe this means, essentially, to have your spirit walking after God's Spirit, to be led of him as a saved person. I believe it's the seal/earnest of our salvation talked about in Ephesians 1:13-14, because it bears witness of us being the children of God as talked about in Romans 8:16. We walk after his Spirit, having been saved, and not after the flesh, in which we would be unsaved. I believe this is a one time event that takes place and is irreversible - to be born again is to be saved, because Christ is in us. While the flesh is dead to sin, our spirit is renewed after the Spirit of God unto life eternal as talked about in Romans 8:10. This is simply functioning as our seal of salvation, and in no way transforms our current life. Ephesians 2:8-9 says that salvation is not of works by any means. It stands to reason then, that someone can walk after the Spirit without sanctification and be saved, because walking after the Spirit doesn't necessarily mean a person has repented of their sins or has cleaned their life; they've simply believed on Jesus Christ to save them, and have called upon his name.

2). Walking in the Spirit. I believe this goes beyond just walking after the Spirit. To walk in the Spirit means to bear the fruits of the Spirit talked about in Galatians 5:22-23, and it means that we're assured of our salvation as Christians. I say this because walking in the Spirit is to have utter obedience toward God in as many aspects of your life as humanly possible, and to walk as Christ walked upon the earth. While we're unable to do this perfectly in our fleshly life, we keep his commandments to the best of our ability so that we know for certain that we're in him, and he in us. This is evidenced by 1 John 2:5-6. Walking in the Spirit provides the certainty of salvation that walking after the Spirit doesn't, because our salvation is evident, whereby it has blossomed into bearing spiritual fruits. This means that over time, the love of God becomes more perfected in us as we become more obedient(1 John 2:5).

Also, I had to keep in mind one thing: that is, the only way to worship God is to worship him in spirit and truth (John 4:23-24). So I had to ask myself, do we worship God when we just walk after the Spirit, or must we walk in the Spirit to worship God? Romans 8:8-9 answers the question for me. He specifically says here: to please God, we must be in the Spirit. Not after the Spirit, but in. As I understand it at this present time, walking after the Spirit doesn't mean that we've outgrown our carnal man nor are we walking in the new man necessarily. Therefore, we can still be carnal when we walk after the Spirit, thereby unable to please God; still saved by God, but not able to please God. Whereas, when we walk in the Spirit, we are not living carnally, but spiritually, and therefore are able to please God, having bore fruits of the Spirit.

Closing Thoughts
I might be overthinking this subject to the nth degree, but I personally find it fascinating and very helpful in discerning how to think about my walk as a Christian. I could definitely be wrong, but I try and let scripture decide for me the truth by comparing scripture with scripture, of course.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: PeaceJoyLove

Edna Davidsen

Edna Davidsen | Christian Affiliate Marketer
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Qaqortoq
Visit site
✟46,882.00
Country
Greenland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Dear Nicolaus

Yes, I’m also interested in this subject.

After reading your thoughts I thought I’d leave a comment before continuing my day here in Greenland.
The first I noticed in your reflexions was the expressions ” overcome temptation and lust.”
As you say yourself, that is unsatisfying.

The reason why I find it unsatisfying is that we can never “finish” this job, that would be to assign to much positive values.

All the thinking about humans having to do some to get a part of God’s grace is missing the point.
For me walking in the spirit means that I trust God is behind me (and not hunting me).
He’s the one given me a reason to have faith in me.

I, a human, cannot mobilise faith.

The faith comes from God.

I rest assured that there’s a chair for me on the other side the day I’m not here anymore.
Blessings!

Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey there! I'm glad you clicked on this thread, because it means you're interested in this subject just as I am - please feel free to comment any ideas, thoughts, or arguments so that we can have as much posted on this thread about this topic as possible.

That being said, I've been studying this idea a lot in the past few weeks using scripture and prayer of course, and I feel as if I've come to a couple of conclusions based on my own personal examination. With that, I would like to post this so that I can learn more about what others have found in their Christian walk when it comes to walking in the Spirit.

My Question to This Problem
I started out by asking myself: "What does it mean to walk in the Spirit?" After all, we're implored and pretty much commanded to walk in the Spirit in Galatians 5:16, especially for the purpose of resisting the lust of the flesh. At first, I thought that was my answer - "Walking in the Spirit is the means by which we are able to overcome temptation and lust." Yet, I still felt unsatisfied. Though that answer is accurate, I still felt, that, to answer the original question, it would require a much more in depth look; and what I've found is that there are multiple facets and avenues for even asking this question. By reading Galatians 5, I of course found the consequence for walking in the Spirit: which is to bear the fruit of the Spirit as talked about in the last part of the chapter, but that still didn't answer my question: "What does it mean? Does it mean to consciously make the decision every day, even every moment to walk in the Spirit, or do we walk in it naturally because Christ is in us? Does it mean, that, to walk in the Spirit means we're saved, or rather just simply assured of salvation? Does it mean we have to walk in the Spirit to be a son of God?" Etc. It was almost an endless amount of questions, and it was most definitely overwhelming for me because of how deep into a rabbit hole this subject can go.

Examination of the Scripture
We know that Galatians is written to a church of saved people; So, Paul giving this cause-and-effect type of language in Gal. 5:16 for walking in the Spirit, doesn't explicitly say that we must walk in the Spirit to be saved. Cause: Walk in the Spirit. Effect: Ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. However, when I looked to Romans 8 (specifically Romans 8:14), Paul says that those who are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. This confused me. If we are not led by the Spirit of God, are we not a son of God then? Obviously the scripture gave the answer, but I got hung up on it. In Gal. 5, the language wasn't as strong in the section where he talked about 'walking in the Spirit,' as Rom. 8 was with the section about "walking after the Spirit." Rom. 8 says this: Cause: Be in Christ Jesus, and walk after the Spirit. Effect: There is now therefore no condemnation.

So I asked myself, what's the difference? One passage talks about walking after the Spirit, and the other talks about walking in the Spirit.

My Conclusion
I see there are two different spiritual walks as a Christian, however not being necessarily exclusive of one another. The two are these: 1). Walking after or being led of the Spirit. 2). Walking in the Spirit. I've concluded that both have different functions.

1). Walking after or being led of the Spirit. I believe this means, essentially, to have your spirit walking after God's Spirit, to be led of him as a saved person. I believe it's the seal/earnest of our salvation talked about in Ephesians 1:13-14, because it bears witness of us being the children of God as talked about in Romans 8:16. We walk after his Spirit, having been saved, and not after the flesh, in which we would be unsaved. I believe this is a one time event that takes place and is irreversible - to be born again is to be saved, because Christ is in us. While the flesh is dead to sin, our spirit is renewed after the Spirit of God unto life eternal as talked about in Romans 8:10. This is simply functioning as our seal of salvation, and in no way transforms our current life. Ephesians 2:8-9 says that salvation is not of works by any means. It stands to reason then, that someone can walk after the Spirit without sanctification and be saved, because walking after the Spirit doesn't necessarily mean a person has repented of their sins or has cleaned their life; they've simply believed on Jesus Christ to save them, and have called upon his name.

2). Walking in the Spirit. I believe this goes beyond just walking after the Spirit. To walk in the Spirit means to bear the fruits of the Spirit talked about in Galatians 5:22-23, and it means that we're assured of our salvation as Christians. I say this because walking in the Spirit is to have utter obedience toward God in as many aspects of your life as humanly possible, and to walk as Christ walked upon the earth. While we're unable to do this perfectly in our fleshly life, we keep his commandments to the best of our ability so that we know for certain that we're in him, and he in us. This is evidenced by 1 John 2:5-6. Walking in the Spirit provides the certainty of salvation that walking after the Spirit doesn't, because our salvation is evident, whereby it has blossomed into bearing spiritual fruits. This means that over time, the love of God becomes more perfected in us as we become more obedient(1 John 2:5).

Also, I had to keep in mind one thing: that is, the only way to worship God is to worship him in spirit and truth (John 4:23-24). So I had to ask myself, do we worship God when we just walk after the Spirit, or must we walk in the Spirit to worship God? Romans 8:8-9 answers the question for me. He specifically says here: to please God, we must be in the Spirit. Not after the Spirit, but in. As I understand it at this present time, walking after the Spirit doesn't mean that we've outgrown our carnal man nor are we walking in the new man necessarily. Therefore, we can still be carnal when we walk after the Spirit, thereby unable to please God; still saved by God, but not able to please God. Whereas, when we walk in the Spirit, we are not living carnally, but spiritually, and therefore are able to please God, having bore fruits of the Spirit.

Closing Thoughts
I might be overthinking this subject to the nth degree, but I personally find it fascinating and very helpful in discerning how to think about my walk as a Christian. I could definitely be wrong, but I try and let scripture decide for me the truth by comparing scripture with scripture, of course.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?
You have to understand that the text is written by different authors or by the same author at different times. There may be a change in style just because of that, but the content could be the same. Walking in the spirit may mean walking after the spirit. Just as a person describing a son walking in the footsteps of his father may say he takes after his father in other ways too, in the next paragraph. He is saying the same thing.

We could disagree on this view, but only one of us is right and the only way to decide is to use both views and see which is right and if it agrees with other content. There is no two teachings, only one. Then we see that there is many repetitions of the idea in several places, because the writers will repeat the same teaching in different ways, just as modern teachers do, because repetition is the best teaching method.

Now here is another fresh idea. Not only are the writers saying the same thing, but we modern readers think they are different, the writers are describing ordinary issues, not quote unquote, novel, supernatural phenomena.

The spiritual walk being talked about is not walking in a Holy Spirit way, but walking in a good way, good as in quote unquote, moral!!!

Don't believe me? Replace spirit (notice I'm using small ‘s’) with ‘good way’ and see if it makes sense or not! You see the ancient writers were not as sophisticated as we were, and could not articulate their thoughts precisely like we do today, with our advanced philosophies and our vast vocabularies of words and terms.

It's great to see you taking time to study the text yourself, instead of thinking that it is the job of the leaders, and that your job is to separate the faith walk from your ‘civilian’ walk. Which is what lazy people normally do.

I'd love it for it to be the way you think it is, but what's important is to find the value of the teaching, and to try not to lose that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wonderful questions. No one can reason with God without becoming clean...

We begin our walk seeking (to find) Him (following after Him), perceiving the spirit of Christ (and Kingdom) as something outside of our being/separate from...Faith urges us onward, hoping for the promises (that we cannot YET 'see')...

Walking in the Spirit. I believe this goes beyond just walking after the Spirit. To walk in the Spirit means to bear the fruits of the Spirit

Paul said of the mystery being revealed "Christ in you, the hope of glory." And, Galatians 1:15 But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by His grace, was pleased 16 to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not rush to consult with flesh and blood,

Our journey of soul/process taking place within has us with two eyes on the cross until the truth narrows down to the ONE we have always been, a son (no gender implied) from the beginning...single of eye ...as Jesus speaks of here: Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

Our perception changes...from five senses(outwardly observing as an over here or over there) to spirit within...The same spirit that rose Jesus from the grave lives IN YOU/US...After 'the fall', the eyesight/perception changed for Adam as in the question God asked, "Where art thou?"...when Adam heard God's voice outside of himself for the first time and was afraid.

The duality within that Paul speaks of in Romans 7 is part of the process taking place...the battle is real, but victory promised IN Christ...the two must become ONE (again)...He who has the bride is the bridegroom...as Jesus prayed in John 17 - That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us:... And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one;

In the beginning, Adam was one, alone, until God placed him in a deep slumber to take out a woman (a picture or our soul) who prepared the feast that he ate and started our whole journey (of soul)...the restoration/renewing/revealing within...And Christ on the cross was wounded in His side...our way back to being clothed in HIS glory...no longer naked and ashamed...for there has always only been ONE...father of all, God who fills all in all...

For a time we measure and divide (that which is immeasurable) because of the perception of lack...just as the woman at the tree looked at the fruit of the tree, desiring that which she thought she lacked...reasoning with the serpent outside ...

God is love and loves us all impartially...and wants us to 'see' as HE 'sees' us...

Revelation 3:18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, white garments so that you may be clothed and your shameful nakedness not exposed, and salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see.

Isaiah 6, to 'see' God's glory fills the whole earth is to 'know as fully as we have always been known..."

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That being said, I've been studying this idea a lot in the past few weeks using scripture and prayer of course, and I feel as if I've come to a couple of conclusions based on my own personal examination.
How we understand this can be limited to how mature we are in the character of Jesus.

I started out by asking myself: "What does it mean to walk in the Spirit?" After all, we're implored and pretty much commanded to walk in the Spirit in Galatians 5:16, especially for the purpose of resisting the lust of the flesh.
We do need to get rid of how lust of the flesh can mess us. But stopping what is wrong does not mean we are walking in the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By reading Galatians 5, I of course found the consequence for walking in the Spirit: which is to bear the fruit of the Spirit as talked about in the last part of the chapter,
Technically, fruit does not come with walking, but with growing and ripening.

As we grow in Jesus, we walk in the Holy Spirit in more of His gentle and humble way, having the maturing nature of His fruit.

So, we need not only to have God stop our lust of the flesh stuff, but also we need to actively seek our Heavenly Father for His character correction in us > Hebrews 12:4-11. And this correction of our character produces "the peaceable fruit of righteousness".

but that still didn't answer my question: "What does it mean? Does it mean to consciously make the decision every day, even every moment to walk in the Spirit, or do we walk in it naturally because Christ is in us?
I think we make conscious choices, whenever we do, plus we walk in a more and more natural way in God's Spirit. This includes walking and doing things in His love. It's more and more natural, plus we do make choices, at times.

"Let all that you do be done with love." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

So, all the Bible says about living in love is related to walking in the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does it mean, that, to walk in the Spirit means we're saved, or rather just simply assured of salvation?
both

"Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His." (in Romans 8:9)

So, if we are walking in the Spirit, we have the Spirit and therefore we are His. And with this also comes assurance >

"Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4:17)

So, as we walk in the Spirit, we grow in Jesus so we become more and more "as He is" "in this world", and this gives us assurance > "that we may have boldness in the day of judgment".

And we have assurance by forgiving >

"'And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.'" (Mark 11:25)

As we do the forgiving that God wants, we can have assurance that we are His children and therefore lovingly forgiving people :) We know we have not made ourselves this way; so we thank You, God, and we are assured that we are Your children because You are truly and deeply changing us to be lovingly forgiving like You.

So, this forgiving comes with correction and growing in Jesus. And, too, we make choices about if we forgive or not. So, walking in the Spirit, by lovingly forgiving, is what comes with growing plus with choosing :)

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The process taking place within (one picture) can be likened to seed and harvest time in scripture (as it relates to consciousness. Like, a seed must fall to the ground and die to bear much fruit. Faith the size of a mustard seed can move a mountain (as it relates to our soul and where the Law goes forth from...) The kingdom of God like a word that is a seed...

God is our husbandman and we are a tree in the garden (... parable of barren fig tree)

Genesis 3:15 speaks to the seed within a seed...flesh and spirit...which has everything to do with where we are perceiving from...and eating from...Jesus said take no thought...for the command in the beginning " And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:" but Adam ate the feast the woman prepared for him (the woman a picture of our soul taking thought, perceiving she lacked and desired more, reasoning with a serpent...) While scripture says no one can reason with God without becoming clean...

For a time we labour in the field for bread...and the promise of entering His rest (like a Jubilee year and resting the land (our soul likened to the land) is to come in out of the field and enter through The Door, reclined at the table being served by the Master himself, hidden manna...which can be likened to days where a sword is beat into a plowshare, then a plowman overtakes the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that sows the seed...

All truth within...

Upvote 0