What does it mean to be made in the image of God?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But it was not written in Greek. What does the Hebrew say?
Sorry. Hebrew. I wouldn't know the difference between a Greek and a Hebrew if they each bit me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was going by the definitions of "made" in the greek...

Are you referring to "created" in verse 27?

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

If so, that verb is written in the "perfect" tense which means it is finished and not ongoing.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

If so, that verb is written in the "perfect" tense which means it is finished and not ongoing.

I can agree that these actions are "perfect".

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
choose, create creator, cut down, dispatch, do, make fat
A primitive root; (absolutely) to create; (qualified) to cut down (a wood), select, feed (as formative processes) -- choose, create (creator), cut down, dispatch, do, make (fat).

The action is a remaking of an existing man. Or we could say when man was still an animal. He needed to be altered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I can agree that these actions are "perfect".

I'm afraid that is not the meaning of "perfect" when speaking of Hebrew verb tenses. To compare to English, the perfect tense would be akin to past tense. It means the creating in the image of God was completed and was not an ongoing process. It would have had to be written in the imperfect tense to carry that meaning.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

But how does that imply that we are, as fallen, still made in the image of God?

The reason I ask is because I am of the opinion that it is not only referring to that completed creation, but refers to what we will become (and are in the process of becoming). ewq1938 may have used the Hebrew wrong, but that doesn't mean that the process of restoration does not logically follow, does it?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When it says in the Bible that we were made in the image of God, what is it talking about?
The image of God is perfectly displayed by incarnate Jesus, He was showing while He was on earth what man was intended to be, man was to have dominion over this world just as God has dominion over everything, man was intended to be God's representative on earth. Like God we were intended to be eternal, we have a rational mind, values, freedom of will and a spirit and/or soul. God gave man the ability to create and modify our environment. While God is spirit, man is flesh blood and spirit. While God is good/love, man was made to know what is good and right and to value all the creations of God including having a high value and love for all men since all are made in the image of God

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But how does that imply that we are, as fallen, still made in the image of God?

Being fallen is not related to our being created in the image of God. Every child that is born is born in the image of God. That cannot fail, and does not fail, and has never failed.

• Agree
Upvote 0

R.J. Aldridge

Jun 19, 2019
Lompoc
✟15,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When it says in the Bible that we were made in the image of God, what is it talking about?
I would say that the image of God refers to our capacity to receive, comprehend, and display the attributes of God to the world. We are Gods' representation, acting on His behalf on the earth. The image of God is not simply referring to human cognition, it is more like our day to day actions in which we can choose to reflect God in our circumstances, cultivating our opportunities like gardeners, bringing order out of Chaos as we expand the territory of Eden across the earth.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm afraid that is not the meaning of "perfect" when speaking of Hebrew verb tenses. To compare to English, the perfect tense would be akin to past tense. It means the creating in the image of God was completed and was not an ongoing process. It would have had to be written in the imperfect tense to carry that meaning.
Yes. I agree. I agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,527.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mans uniqueness was referred in Ecclesiastes 3

"He has put eternity in the heart of man that they may never know the beginning from the end..."

Eternity is where only God can dwell.

In this sense we are made in His image and reflect His character.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Being fallen is not related to our being created in the image of God. Every child that is born is born in the image of God. That cannot fail, and does not fail, and has never failed.
Yet, the image is marred, no?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I would say that the image of God refers to our capacity to receive, comprehend, and display the attributes of God to the world. We are Gods' representation, acting on His behalf on the earth. The image of God is not simply referring to human cognition, it is more like our day to day actions in which we can choose to reflect God in our circumstances, cultivating our opportunities like gardeners, bringing order out of Chaos as we expand the territory of Eden across the earth.

You seem to propose a practical capacity, not a spiritual capacity. For example the loving care of a mother for her child reflects God's love for us, but the change from being born again does not?

Or are you saying the capacity, whether and material or spiritual, whether of a lost human or a product of regeneration, all are related to that capacity to show what God is like?

If the fallen can naturally display God's attributes to some degree or in some way, is this part of "what has been seen" referred to in Romans 1, that leaves man without excuse?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Man is a reflection of God. The only created being who received the breath of God is man. Man walked with God, His Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit departed after the fall only to come upon some rather than live in them.

The only earthy vessel that can contain His Spirit is mankind. His image.
The Holy Spirit once again dwells in those who believe.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll cheat. . .made in holiness, righteousness and knowledge of God (Ephesians 4:24; Colossians 3:10).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think they make any decisions for themselves, don't help other angels, cannot give their lives for others, or forgive others.
They are ministering (helping) spirits to the born again (Hebrews 1:4).

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yet, the image is marred, no?

You need to consider that the best reflection of the day was your face in water or similarities in your children. There were no cameras or copy machines to make images.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Man is a reflection of God. The only created being who received the breath of God is man. Man walked with God, His Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit departed after the fall only to come upon some rather than live in them.

I want to make sure I'm hearing you correctly. Seeing as how below you say the Holy Spirit indwells those who believe, by the above "The Holy Spirit departed after the fall only to come upon some rather than live in them." you are not saying that the Holy Spirit does not indwell, but that it did not indwell but to as he willed, to 'come upon' those who were not Elect?

Let me rephrase. You are saying that subsequent to the fall, the Holy Spirit at best came upon some unbelievers; you are not saying that the Holy Spirit does not indwell any humans.

The only earthy vessel that can contain His Spirit is mankind. His image.
The Holy Spirit once again dwells in those who believe.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I'll cheat. . .made in holiness, righteousness and knowledge of God (Ephesians 4:24; Colossians 3:10).

Very apt reply. Thank you.

"and put on the new man, that after God hath been created in righteousness and holiness of truth."
Ephesians 4:24

Notice the interesting difference of tenses between the two: Above, (in English) past perfect tense; I haven't taken the time to check the Greek, but sounds like completed action in the past.

"and have put on the new man, that is being renewed unto knowledge after the image of him that created him:"

Colossians 3:10

Here we see continuous present action: "being renewed" (but of course followed by past "created" (probably aorist, point in time or action).

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Most fertilized eggs do not implant properly in the lining and about 50% of them are naturally aborted. So we'd have to say that something good must happen before birth as well. Otherwise, about half are lost, normally.

Upvote 0