What does it mean to be "filled with the Spirit", and what are practical ways to achieve it?

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Under what circumstances would God justify a sinner through faith in Christ and not cause that believer to walk in the Spirit? Do you think God forgets to enable such a one to walk in the Spirit? Do you think God is all like "Okay, he believes in Christ, but I'm not going to help him walk in the Spirit until he asks me"

That doesn't make sense. Being born of the Spirit and walking in the Spirit are inseparable. If a person comes to faith I in Christ, then obviously they desire to be filled with the Spirit, since that is what faith in Christ entails.
Agreed. Monergism actually pervades the life of the believer. It is all the work of God, even though the believer is intensely active in the matter.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Under what circumstances would God justify a sinner through faith in Christ and not cause that believer to walk in the Spirit? Do you think God forgets to enable such a one to walk in the Spirit? Do you think God is all like "Okay, he believes in Christ, but I'm not going to help him walk in the Spirit until he asks me"

That doesn't make sense. Being born of the Spirit and walking in the Spirit are inseparable. If a person comes to faith I in Christ, then obviously they desire to be filled with the Spirit, since that is what faith in Christ entails.

Is walking in the Spirit and being filled with the Spirit the same thing? What about Acts 6?

Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint by the Hellenists arose against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution. 2 And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. 3 Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. 6 These they set before the apostles, and they prayed and laid their hands on them.
It looks like not everyone is full of the Holy Spirit, only few believers appear to reach that level. The question is: what is their secret?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Is walking in the Spirit and being filled with the Spirit the same thing? What about Acts 6?

Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint by the Hellenists arose against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution. 2 And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. 3 Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. 6 These they set before the apostles, and they prayed and laid their hands on them.
It looks like not everyone is full of the Holy Spirit, only few believers appear to reach that level. The question is: what is their secret?
The question is, is anyone actually full of the Holy Spirit all the time?

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The question is, is anyone actually full of the Holy Spirit all the time?

Right, that's a very good question as well. I'm inclined to believe that that's not the case, otherwise why would Paul encourage believers to be filled with the Spirit in Ephesians 5:18 if they were all in that state already? So there certainly is an element of responsibility by the believer to be in proactive seeking of this fullness. The question is, how?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AWorkInProgress

A fool becoming wise
Jan 18, 2007
Glendale, AZ
✟89,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hello Truthseeker,

One of the traps in Christianity these days, especially in the Pentecostal movement is mentality of "haves and have nots". As others have mentioned before, it's all about your salvation. When we receive our new heart and we become regenerated by our faith in the work of Christ and what he did for us. We go from being an enemy of God, to becoming an adopted child into God's family. Our sins are forgiven and we are now reconciled with God.

We become temples of the Holy Spirit from that point on. You can sin and grieve the Holy Spirit. Repentance and asking forgiveness recovers the relationship. We are empowered by the same Spirit that Jesus was, and we technically have access to all the gifts of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12), but it's not for us to become prideful about.

Jesus is the head of the church and we are parts of his body. We all have a role to play and certain gifts will follow you for the rest of your time on this side of Heaven. Focus on your walk with Jesus, SEEK HIS FACE (2 Chronicles 7:14, aka get to know who God is and meditate on it). As he works in your life, something about you is going to manifest. Something you will be compelled to do. It's not a thing that you choose to be, it is a discovery process of what God gifted you to be a part of.

Hardest.. I do mean hardest part of becoming mature in these things, is to learn when God is in control and not you. James(me) can't change the heart of a human being with my knowledge and understanding, it's the power of the Holy Spirit using working in the heart of the individual. I talked my face off many times to see that I made no impact on a person, yet when the Lord wants to do a work it flows and I just get out of the way.

Also God will use you wither you like it or not. I am struggling with my standing with my Lord these days, for he took my wife home to heaven. I feel like teaching nothing, nor do I trust myself to know what is right anymore. Yet I sit down with my mother in law this morning, just trying to get my own light/spiritual food via youtube. Next you know I am answer her questions about the things she didn't have a good understanding on.

I hope this helps you. Be patient, your answers are coming!(James 1:5)

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Right, that's a very good question as well. I'm inclined to believe that that's not the case, otherwise why would Paul encourage believers to be filled with the Spirit in Ephesians 5:18 if they were all in that state already? So there certainly is an element of responsibility by the believer to be in proactive seeking of this fullness. The question is, how?
But was the Apostle Paul, or any other, full of the Spirit of God all of time?

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Under what circumstances would God justify a sinner through faith in Christ and not cause that believer to walk in the Spirit?
Do you think God forgets to enable such a one to walk in the Spirit? Do you think God is all like "Okay, he believes in Christ, but I'm not going to help him walk in the Spirit until he asks me"
God cannot and does not force or cause people to walk in the Spirit. Walking in the spirit as opposed to walking in the flesh is man's own choice of whether he wants more of God in his life.
It makes every bit of sense. Our responses are our choices. That's what the parable of the sower shows.
Obviously our new birth comes from the Spirit, but as scripture repeatedly shows, being filled with the spirit is separate event and not just a one off affair when we are born again.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But was the Apostle Paul, or any other, full of the Spirit of God all of time?

I would say Jesus definitely was. The apostle Paul was probably very close to that level as well (he once said "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ").

• Friendly
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Galatians 5:16-18
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
17 For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.
18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

Galatians 5:25
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

In these verses, the apostle Paul delineates two different conditions in which the believer can exist:

1.) Living by the Spirit.
2.) Walking by the Spirit.

"Living by the Spirit" is a description of the state in which a person is, having been born-again and given new, spiritual life in Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:17; Titus 3:5; Romans 8:9-11; 1 John 4:13; John 3:3-7) It's by the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ (Romans 8:9), coming to dwell within a person that they are given this new spiritual life. Every born-again person is "living (spiritually) by the Spirit."

But Paul distinguished merely having spiritual life by the Spirit - being born-again - from "walking by the Spirit." What did Paul mean by "walking by the Spirit"? He indicated something of his meaning in Galatians 5:18: "...if you are led by the Spirit..." Paul wrote a very similar thing to the church at Rome: "For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God." (Romans 8:14) The idea of being led by the Spirit is, I believe, expressed in the phrase "walking by the Spirit," suggesting a leader-follower and/or superior-inferior dynamic between the believer and the Holy Spirit. It suggests a conscious agreement on the part of the believer to being so led, to being under the direction and authority of the Holy Spirit. As the prophet Amos wrote, "Can two walk together unless they be agreed?" (Amos 3:3) So, then, "walking by the Spirit" differs from merely "living by the Spirit" in that the one walking by the Spirit is consciously and persistently agreeing to the leadership, the authoritative direction and control, of the Spirit.

Aren't these two spiritual states tantamount to one another? Clearly, Paul didn't think so. In his various letters to the Early Church, he often enjoined born-again believers to a humble yieldedness to God, to the Spirit (Romans 6:13-22; 1 Corinthians 4:1; 1 Corinthians 7:22; Ephesians 6:5-5, etc.), to being "living sacrifices" to God (Romans 12:1). Why? If being born-again is synonymous with a life yielded entirely to God, why make any distinction between walking by the Spirit and living by the Spirit? Well, obviously, because, as Paul indicated, a believer can be born-again but not living in conscious, consistent submission to the Spirit.

What does any of this this have to do with being filled with the Spirit? Well, it stands to reason that if one is not living AND walking by the Spirit, one cannot be filled with him. There is, after all, no other dynamic under which one can truly interact with God, with the Holy Spirit, except that of submission, of superior to inferior, bond-slave to Master. Many are the believers I know, however, who have no interest in living under the constant leading of the Spirit, under his constant control, who do not see themselves as bond-servants of Christ in the least, and whose lives are, as a result, utterly devoid of any indication of the power and work of the Spirit. Certainly, these believers are not filled with the Spirit. Whether they realize it or not, they are actually living in rebellion toward God, in sin, therefore, in their refusal to live constantly under the Spirit's authority and control. Why in the world would the Spirit fill such believers with himself? He would be acting coercively - and so, contrary to love - at that point; for he cannot fill a person and not be in control of them.

How is one filled with the Spirit, then? As I explained in an earlier post in this thread, by submission to him, by a conscious, consistent and persistent living in surrender to the will and way of the Spirit, by "walking by the Spirit."

Will such a person, proceeding through each day as "living sacrifice" to God, necessarily feel the filling of the Spirit? Should they expect to experience wild moments of emotional hysteria, tongues-speaking, miraculous healing, supernatural "signs and wonders"? Are these things always attendant upon being filled with the Spirit? No. Instead, the description the word of God lays out of the common experience of the Spirit is far more subtle and mundane. The person being led of the Spirit will encounter his conviction, illumination, strengthening, comfort, and sanctifying, transforming work. (John 14:26; John 16:8; 1 Corinthians 2:10-14; Ephesians 3:16; Romans 8:13; Philippians 2:13; 2 Corinthians 1:3-4; 2 Corinthians 3:18; Galatians 5:22-23; Ephesians 5:9)

Those I've encountered who are seeking the filling of the Spirit, are often really seeking the wild experiences they believe are the result of being so filled. They are searching for sensual validation of the Spirit's presence in their life. God "being real" in their life requires a sensory, fleshly interaction with Him. It isn't enough that they become more holy in their desires, thinking and living; it isn't enough that they know God through the process of His sanctification of them in their daily experience; it isn't enough that they have the word of God, His love letter to them, teaching, directing, and revealing Himself to them; they want more than to walk by faith and experience the subtle growth of a branch in the Vine; they want a supernatural show, divine stimulation, excitement - they want signs, the more, and wilder, the better.

Matthew 12:38-39
38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered him, saying, “Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you.”
39 But he answered them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign...

It is certain, in my view, that the hungry pursuit of miraculous signs through the filling of the Spirit, is a carnal, fleshly motive for seeking such filling and will, therefore, never meet with the real thing. The Spirit cannot be met in a deep, powerful way through the sensual, but in and through the realm of the spiritual - the immaterial realm of the mind, heart and spirit.

Galatians 5:16-17
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

John 4:23-24
23 But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.
24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0