Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been thinking about this lately and would like to receive input.
Well, I'm Canadian.

But whether American or Canadian, I think for the believer the biggest privilege is opportunities for fellowship and testimony activities and the availability of good Bible study material in a language we can understand.

Reactions: Mayflower1
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PS: @lily00 : After all, in North America, even tattoos may be faith based, not unusually. Just goes to show I guess how deeply faith heritage runs in North America (despite the obsession of media and politicians for people to try something supposedly new and different all the time).

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I'd say there are two different definitions. One is merely being "American" by citizenship. The other is to hold the values that have been connected to being an American citizen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd say there's two different definitions. One is merely being "American" by citizenship. The other is to hold the values that have been connected to being an American citizen.
Okay, so I'm Canadian; so I have a question:

Was in your view Senator McCarthy, who led an UnAmerican Activities Committee, himself UnAmerican? (or stated another way, is there a viable definition to what is 'UnAmerican'?)

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

Was in your view Senator McCarthy, who led an UnAmerican Activities Committee, himself UnAmerican? (or stated another way, is there a viable definition to what is 'UnAmerican'?)
He met the first definition, but not the second.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He met the first definition, but not the second.
I watched the film about the Bridge with Tom Hanks, where at the height of the McCarthy era the FBI (or was it CIA?) tried fictionally to abuse the client-attorney privilege of someone on trial for espionage and his lawyer, played by Tom Hanks.

Tom Hanks memorably tells the spook: the US Constitution is all we have in common, as citizens. (I'm not American, but Canadian; but it sounds a good line! :) )

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What would y'all say are American values? I would like to say Christianity, but I feel as if though many would say we are not a Christian nation like we used to be. I also think about our rights that so many have died for. This is unique to America.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

One could write a book, and this is opinion, but I think American patriotism should give Americans a sense of inspiration, honor, and respect. I also think America's founding documents and their application to Americans should be highly valued. Federalism, democracy and capitalism should also be recognized as important to maintaining her infrastructure and balancing of her powers. I do believe being an American should amount to more than simply being born an American citizen or granted citizenship. However, for every should, there is the freedom to go against each and every one of these, but I have often observed many freedoms used and abused to bring destruction on the land I love.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
If you want to be the president of the United States, you have to be a bona fide America citizen.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

He said it was Communism. :amen:

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
It means you are an American citizen.

The only American value I believe is in evidence is American Exceptionalism. Americans are raised to believe our country is so unique and special in the world. That belief is aided by our lack of rigor in public education regarding other nations. It creates an obstinate citizenry that is slow to change and weak in critical thinking.

Maybe being an American is being proud of accomplishments that aren't soley yours and judgemental of missteps that aren't soley others.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would never be president. I don't even know if I want to vote anymore, because politics are confusing and everyone slanders one another. Too much hate.

But I am an American. I think my ancestery said something about Scotland or Ireland. And I was thinking about what makes me proud to be an American. And I was thinking it is because our country was founded under God and fought for diligently. Our pledge:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, Under God, Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Though I feel there is great division in our country right now, I know God brings unification and freedom to all. I am proud to be in a country founded under God.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It means you are an American citizen.

The only American value I believe is in evidence is American Exceptionalism. Americans are raised to believe our country is so unique and special in the world. That belief is aided by our lack of rigor in public education regarding other nations. It creates an obstinate citizenry that is slow to change and weak in critical thinking.

Maybe being an American is being proud of accomplishments that aren't soley yours and judgemental of missteps that aren't soley others.

Being an outsider who has visited America, it is an exceptional country.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It has to be about values, or the very concept is cheapened or even meaningless. We often have similar discussions over here as what count as "British Values" and what makes someone "British".

America is perhaps unique in being deliberately formed on the basis of a set of principles rather than just a group of tribes forming an alliance. It's foundation was certainly Christian (think of the Pilgrim fathers and Founding fathers alike) and any denial of that is either staggering ignorance or flat-out deceit (the latter usually from people who try to claim there is no such thing as truth...which tells you a lot).

So it is not sufficient for people to live in, or even for them to be born in, America, but it needs for America to be born in them; in the sense of them taking into themselves a historic identity that is more important than their individuality.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
That is like saying the only great driver in Formula 1 is the driver who comes in first.

Not really. Personally, I think the US is technically "ok" really about average as far as countries go. What we have in abundance is PR aka Hollywood. A lot of Americans are unaware of the rights and protections the citizens of other countries have and make a lot of assumptions. Are we better than North Korea, Syria, Iran? Sure- but that isn't saying much. The USA is usually defended by being compared to 3rd world countries and countries at war or with significant civil strife- that is not a legitimate comparison. Compare US to peaceful 1st world countries across many different markers of stability, education, health, standard of living, and general satisfaction- we don't fair as well as the average American has been taught we should.

And honestly, we are getting worse, day by day.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not really. Personally, I think the US is technically "ok" really about average as far as countries go. What we have in abundance is PR aka Hollywood. A lot of Americans are unaware of the rights and protections the citizens of other countries have and make a lot of assumptions. Are we better than North Korea, Syria, Iran? Sure- but that isn't saying much. The USA is usually defended by being compared to 3rd world countries and countries at war or with significant civil strife- that is not a legitimate comparison. Compare US to peaceful 1st world countries across many different markers of stability, education, health, standard of living, and general satisfaction- we don't fair as well as the average American has been taught we should.

And honestly, we are getting worse, day by day.

I agree. When compared to other first world nations like Canada or Norway or Italy etc. by a variety of standards the USA generally does not rank in the top level. In the USA the best is amongst the very best in the entire world but the average drags it down.

Upvote 0