• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What does "grace for grace" mean in John 1:16-17?

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by wallet_man, Sep 3, 2020.

1. wallet_man

wallet_man New Member

+9
    United States
    Messianic
    Single
    John 1:16 New American Standard Bible
    For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace. For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.
    [greek definition for the word upon/for.]

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Minister Monardo

Minister Monardo Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,765
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Matthew 10:8. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons.
    Freely you have received, freely give.

3. pinacled

pinacled walking with the Shekinah

+946
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
  4. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,785
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Sometimes God speaks to me in answer to a question. Other times, He speaks something that I need to know. A few years ago He asked me, "How were you saved?" I said, "By grace." He said, "What saves you today?" I replied, "Grace." He said, "What will save you tomorrow?" Ah. Grace upon grace.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Minister Monardo

Minister Monardo Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,765
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    "grace for grace": same construction as:
    Matthew 5:38. You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’
    and,
    Romans 12:17. Repay no one evil for evil.

Apply 'grace for grace' to this lesson:
    Matthew 18:
    32 Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me.
    33 Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?

Freely Receive, Freely Give.

6. pinacled

pinacled walking with the Shekinah

+946
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    In the beginning
    What is to come
    And all that Is

Hebrews 13:8

7. GedaliahMaegil

GedaliahMaegil Messianic Ger Toshav

+123
    United States
    Messianic
    Private
    US-Others
    Biblically, it means an extension of favour. The Creator and King of the universe, gave Torah through Moshe and called upon the children of Yisra`el to covenant with Him. In Yeshua, he extended His favour in the B'rit Chadashah, establishing this covenant Himself, and, by the gift of faith of those who believe Him, writing Torah on their hearts, so they would not forget.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  8. chunkofcoal

chunkofcoal Messianic Christian

+434
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    From "Vincent's Word Studies" commentary:
    Grace for grace (χάριν ἀντὶ χάριτος)
    The preposition ἀντί originally means over against; opposite; before (in a local sense). Through the idea of placing one thing over against another is developed that of exchange. Thus Herodotus (iii., 59), “They bought the island, ἀντὶ χρημάτων, for money.” So Mat_5:38, “An eye for (ἀντὶ) an eye,” etc. This idea is at the root of the peculiar sense in which the preposition is used here. We received, not New Testament grace instead of Old Testament grace; nor simply, grace added to grace; but new grace imparted as the former measure of grace has been received and improved. “To have realized and used one measure of grace, was to have gained a larger measure (as it were) in exchange for it.” Consequently, continuous, unintermitted grace. The idea of the development of one grace from another is elaborated by Peter (2Pe_1:5), on which see notes. Winer cites a most interesting parallel from Philo. “Wherefore, having provided and dispensed the first graces (χάριτας), before their recipients have waxed wanton through satiety, he subsequently bestows different graces in exchange for (ἀντὶ) those, and a third supply for the second, and ever new ones in exchange for the older.”

9. Laureate

Laureate whatisthebaytreeknown4? What's debate reknown for?

+378
    Messianic
    Single
    What does one receive when they receive a Prophet in the Name of a Prophet?

Yᵊsʰûʷəʰ (was the only one who) received the Spirit of Yôʷhʰənᵊn- John [lit., the Grace of Yaʰ] upon Baptism, because he (was the only one who) received Yôʷhʰənᵊn as the Grace of Yaʰ.

Is not the Salvation of Yaʰ given to those who receive Yᵊsʰûʷəʰ as the Salvation of Yaʰ? Then in like manner, those who receive Rûʷəkʰ H'kôʷdésʰ in the Name of Rûʷəkʰ H'kôʷdésʰ receive the reward of Rûʷəkʰ H'kôʷdésʰ.

For Rûʷəkʰ H'kôʷdésʰ is Yôʷhʰənᵊn 'The Grace of Yaʰ', the Comforter born on Sʰᵊvuot-Pentecost, and only Yᵊsʰûʷəʰ Knew that he was the Spirit of Truth manifest in the flesh.

This is the double portion of Alîyᵊhûʷ being poured upon Elishaʰ [the Salvation of A(i)L] who referred to Alîyᵊhûʷ as Father, thus John said, I (the Greatest person born of a Woman) must Decrease, and he (the Son) must Increase.

Yᵊsʰûʷəʰ was filled with.... Grace!
    The Grace of who? (hint, Grace comes from one who has greater wherewithal), that's right, the Grace of Yaʰ!

10. Rachel Rachel

Rachel Rachel Messianic/Church of God 7th Day Supporter

+181
    United States
    Messianic
    Single
    US-Constitution
    The NLT says:
    16 From his abundance we have all received one gracious blessing after another.

11. visionary

visionary Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I. Supporter

+7,337
    Messianic
    Grace was given that there is still an opportunity to redeem your path in life to walk in His Torah..

12. Grumman Tomcat

Grumman Tomcat ✡Messianic✞ Staff Member Administrator CF Staff Trainer Supporter

+7,675
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Republican
    CJB - Yochanan 1:15-17 to get context
    Yochanan witnessed concerning him when he cried out, “This is the man I was talking about when I said, ‘The one coming after me has come to rank ahead of me, because he existed before me.’”

We have all received from his fullness,
    yes, grace upon grace.
    For the Torah was given through Moshe;
    grace and truth came through Yeshua the Messiah.