✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jim B said:
I am bringing this verse from another thread to get your opinion.

Does “I die daily” (1 Cor 15.31) mean “I die to sin/self daily” or is it talking about physical death?

Here is the context:
1 Corinthians 15

29) Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them? 30) And as for us, why do we endanger ourselves every hour? 31) I die daily [every day, NIV]--I mean that, brothers--just as surely as I glory over you in Christ Jesus our Lord. 32) If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus for merely human reasons, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised, "Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die."
What do you think?

\o/
Hi Jim, I do believe it is not die to sin for we should have been dead to sin and stayed dead. I think it was the constant danger he faced and also to die to self.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Blade said:
Hi Jim, I do believe it is not die to sin for we should have been dead to sin and stayed dead. I think it was the constant danger he faced and also to die to self.
It is so obvious when you read it in context. I'm amazed that people can't (won't) see it.

Thankyaverymuch, Blade.

Jim
\o/

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
riverpastor said:
Jim,

If the metaphorical interpretation of scripture comes singly to a man by revelation of the Holy Ghost, then can we altogether say that what the Holy Spirit is saying through revelation of the scripture not the interpretation for all.

In this I agree with you. The Spirit's interpretation of a single scripture or set of scriptures to me is not derived from my intellectual or my emotional level but is solely provided by His enlightenment into His topic of choice. I am not to say that this revelation is for all men to behold and adhere to. It is the revelation of the scripture at its deeper meaning as the Spirit reveals to me that is effected in my life and can actually change me into its image.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm sure there have been times when you've read a scripture and the Lord brings something to light in you that has nothing to do with the context of the scripture itself. Is that true or not true?

If so, the difference may be whether or not you treat the scripture at that point of revelation as doctrine for yourself and perhaps others to follow. Outside of the context how it was written years through the author's thoughts.

I know the Vineyard church believes in prophecy, word of knowledge and word of wisdom. Have you ever received such a gift and if so, did the Holy Spirit only use scripture to authenticate what He was trying to reveal to you?

Let me share an example: I was in a tent meeting one time and a man that I had only recently met had been attending. I asked the Lord if He wanted to share a word from His Kingdom to this man. And as I waited upon the Lord, I saw an image of a asymmetrical boulder and as I pondered the huge rock I heard the Lord speak into my spirit the word, "chisel". As I stood up on the platform in the tent to share these images suddenly the Lord spoke the rest of the word to me that there were circumstances and situations that this man was going through that God was using to chisel him and to form him into the man of God that the Lord had called him to be. As I said these words, he was constantly nodding and was weeping slightly.

Afterwards I asked Him if the images and words that the Lord shared with me had ministered to him. He told me that two weeks prior to that meeting, he had a dream of a chisel and had been praying for the meaning since then. The Lord answered this man's prayer that night and he received grace and strength to endure what he was going through.

Was there scripture to support such a word to this man? No.
Was there anything to prove that it should be kept as doctrine? No.
What was truly happening? God broke through in revelation to mend a heart broken by circumstance and hard times. It's part of the gospel. It's what God does. He heals and mends. He saves and delivers. He sets free and restores.

If dogmatic doctrine and literal interpretations only do not allow for freedom and restoration through Christ, then there's a chance that a congregation is missing the forest because of the bark on a single tree.

It seems to me that this type of "church" would be no better off than Toastmasters or the Rotary Club -- just literal rules and regulations and "no, that's not what it really says".

Where is the Spirit of freedom in that? Where is the release of the captive? Or have we taken God's children and turned them from one type of captive into another?

On a last note -- I've had God speak to me through billboards, television shows, magazines, bank tellers, phone books, etc.

God will speak to you (reveal to you) if you will but listen.

And, oh yes, sometimes even those things were revealed out of context...

All you say is true (to an extent). But you can carry this extra-biblical stuff too far. Call me anything you like, but the ONLY rule for faith and practice as far as I am concerned is scripture in its literal (not personally interpreted) sense. If being Charismatic/Pentecostal/Vineyard means that I am to subjugate God’s Word to personal inspiration (or whatever) then the P/C/V is not for me.

Anyhow, why would you even read the Bible if you are not going to believe it and follow its precepts and instruction? Why not just let God tell you what to do? If He can speak to you “through billboards, television shows, magazines, bank tellers, phone books, etc.” and you value that on an equal par with scripture, you are, IMO, a prime candidate for deception.

Your boulder revelation is interesting, and I am not doubting you, but I can only take your word for it. I have no way of knowing if its true or not. But I do not have that kind of trouble with Scripture. I have faith that it is God’s Word to me, it has proven itself to me, and I can trust it. I cannot do the same for other people’s personal revelations.

\o/

Upvote 0

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
#1 - Does this mean that you do believe that God can give personal revelations through scripture (whether in or out of context)?

#2 - Could a Sadduccee or a Pharisee read the same OT scripture and not have the same revelation as, say, a disciple that wrote part of the NT?

#3 - When Jesus asked the disciples who He was and Peter answered that He was the Son of the Living God, didn't Jesus profess that this was revealed to Him by the Father. (Matt. 16:17) Was this book knowledge? Was it Spirit knowledge? Was Peter in danger of deception because it was revealed to him by the Father about who the Son indeed was?

Why do I read the Bible? Because it is full of the Word and full of the Spirit and full of the Kingdom of God and full of the Father and full of the Spirit and full of Jesus and full of the Word and full of the Kingdom...

There is no separation between the Word and the Spirit and the Father. (I John 5:7)

Where you have the Word, you have the Father. Where you have the Spirit, you have the Word. Where you have the Father, you have the Spirit.

There is no balance between the Spirit and the Word. Is that what you're looking for? Because if it is, you will not find it in the Kingdom. God's not in heaven in His fullness separating Himself according to the Spirit and the Word. He's not wanting to appear to have a 50/50 balance. He is the fullness of the Father, the fullness of the Word and the fullness of the Spirit.

It's not that I value other books and other materials that God uses to speak to me on equal par with the Holy Scripture. What I value is that the Holy Scripture brings me to a true experiential knowledge of Christ Jesus, the Living Word. I love the Word, Jim. I love the Father, Jim. I love the Holy Spirit. What a terrible thing you stoop too when you pronounce and judge me to put billboards and magazines and the like above the beautiful Word of God.

If the Holy Spirit reveals something to me, then how can that be labeled "personally interpreted"? Is it possible that the Divine Nature of the Author reveals what He wants to in me in order to exhort and renew my mind - in order to change me into the true image of the Son? If He is the Source, then how could someone claim that I was the source?

I read the Word because it is Truth. It is not by the letter of the law wherein we are saved but by the Spirit of Grace. Last I checked, no man can come to the Father lest the Spirit draw him.

Yes, the Word is full of precepts. Yes, the Word is full of instruction. Yes, the Word is full of principles. And, yes, I implant these on my heart in order that the Spirit of Grace may operate His Kingdom in me and through me.

When you get a little "nugget" of Truth, Jim, does that come from you or from the revealing of the Holy Spirit?

If it is the Holy Spirit, then how could I say of you, "Extra-biblical, Jim! Out of context, Jim! Doesn't fit the pattern, Jim!"

No! I would glorify God in that He shared His present Truth and Reality with one of His precious children. That's what you are, Jim. His precious child.

I extend love to you, my brother. In the Sweet and Precious Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
riverpastor said:
#1 - Does this mean that you do believe that God can give personal revelations through scripture (whether in or out of context)?

#2 - Could a Sadduccee or a Pharisee read the same OT scripture and not have the same revelation as, say, a disciple that wrote part of the NT?

#3 - When Jesus asked the disciples who He was and Peter answered that He was the Son of the Living God, didn't Jesus profess that this was revealed to Him by the Father. (Matt. 16:17) Was this book knowledge? Was it Spirit knowledge? Was Peter in danger of deception because it was revealed to him by the Father about who the Son indeed was?

Why do I read the Bible? Because it is full of the Word and full of the Spirit and full of the Kingdom of God and full of the Father and full of the Spirit and full of Jesus and full of the Word and full of the Kingdom...

There is no separation between the Word and the Spirit and the Father. (I John 5:7)

Where you have the Word, you have the Father. Where you have the Spirit, you have the Word. Where you have the Father, you have the Spirit.

There is no balance between the Spirit and the Word. Is that what you're looking for? Because if it is, you will not find it in the Kingdom. God's not in heaven in His fullness separating Himself according to the Spirit and the Word. He's not wanting to appear to have a 50/50 balance. He is the fullness of the Father, the fullness of the Word and the fullness of the Spirit.

It's not that I value other books and other materials that God uses to speak to me on equal par with the Holy Scripture. What I value is that the Holy Scripture brings me to a true experiential knowledge of Christ Jesus, the Living Word. I love the Word, Jim. I love the Father, Jim. I love the Holy Spirit. What a terrible thing you stoop too when you pronounce and judge me to put billboards and magazines and the like above the beautiful Word of God.

If the Holy Spirit reveals something to me, then how can that be labeled "personally interpreted"? Is it possible that the Divine Nature of the Author reveals what He wants to in me in order to exhort and renew my mind - in order to change me into the true image of the Son? If He is the Source, then how could someone claim that I was the source?

I read the Word because it is Truth. It is not by the letter of the law wherein we are saved but by the Spirit of Grace. Last I checked, no man can come to the Father lest the Spirit draw him.

Yes, the Word is full of precepts. Yes, the Word is full of instruction. Yes, the Word is full of principles. And, yes, I implant these on my heart in order that the Spirit of Grace may operate His Kingdom in me and through me.

When you get a little "nugget" of Truth, Jim, does that come from you or from the revealing of the Holy Spirit?

If it is the Holy Spirit, then how could I say of you, "Extra-biblical, Jim! Out of context, Jim! Doesn't fit the pattern, Jim!"

No! I would glorify God in that He shared His present Truth and Reality with one of His precious children. That's what you are, Jim. His precious child.

I extend love to you, my brother. In the Sweet and Precious Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
HI RP,

As much as I respect you and appreciate most of what you offer in this forum, I am afraid that on this subject we have reached an impasse. Anything beyond this would be doubtful disputation.

I will never exchange God’s Word for private revelation and will always judge revelation by the Word of God. The only standard for Truth, IMO, is God’s Word to us.

Period.

Now let’s talk about the OP.;)

\o/

Upvote 0

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
enoch son,

If someone doesn't mentally assent to having died, though it be a spiritual truth, would they not continue to seek death to self?

And perhaps, this is why there are different thoughts on a scripture such as this...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
riverpastor said:
Jim M,

Okay. Okay.

Let me say this then. Yes, the Bible is the "tuning fork" of revelation. All revelation is to be judged by scripture.

Even when it comes from a billboard... ;)
Gotcha.

Thanx RP.

\o/

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.