What do you want to know about German history?

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Good idea!
I might also answer, if I can.
Sadly, this part of the forum isn't very active. It wasn't always so, but that's just the way things go.

My last response here was over half a year old, and the thread was still on the first page.

But once in a while, someone will show up... mostly to ask either about the germanic tribes of antiquity, or the Nazis.
Just kidding... there are, as you can see, some very interesting questions.

Happy to see you chime in. The more, the merrier... and especially history can only profit from more people engaging!

Reactions: Red Gold
Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,433.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But once in a while, someone will show up... mostly to ask either about the germanic tribes of antiquity, or the Nazis.
Just kidding... there are, as you can see, some very interesting questions.

As you said before:
There are lots of other things to be said about Germany than just always this monotonous "Nazi, Nazi, Nazi ...."

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I forgot to ask about that. What was up with those Nazis? I mean they were really snappy dressers and all, but some of their ideas, I don't know, they seem kinda racist.

No but seriously, IMO Germany's worst sin historically is the invention of techno "music". I once dated a girl who listened to techno. I think Germany owes reparations to my ears.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Yeah I forgot to ask about that. What was up with those Nazis? I mean they were really snappy dressers and all, but some of their ideas, I don't know, they seem kinda racist.

No but seriously, IMO Germany's worst sin historically is the invention of techno "music". I once dated a girl who listened to techno. I think Germany owes reparations to my ears.

Hey, at least it's Kraftwerk.
It's another of these "cultural understanding" things, especially among Americans. Ask 100 of them about german music, and 99 of them will respond with "Rammstein".

Neither Kraftwerk or Rammstein is my kind of music. When it comes to German music, I (as I think is common for most people) like the styles of my youth, the 80's... and I enjoyed a lot of the more modern German pop bands of the early 2000s... "Wir sind Helden" or "Sportfreunde Stiller".

But even so, I still would prefer Kraftwerk or Rammstein over Karlheinz Stockhausen. No, don't search for him, if you still value your ears.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hey, at least it's Kraftwerk.
Back in the days when FM radio wasn't commercialized, the Trans Europe Express album was very popular on the radio, at least in my city. They sounded a bit odd sandwiched between early AC/DC and Aerosmith, but it was very interesting music when you've been smoking the right kind of vegetation (or so I've heard.)
It's another of these "cultural understanding" things, especially among Americans. Ask 100 of them about german music, and 99 of them will respond with "Rammstein".
My age group would probably respond with the Scorpions. :)
But even so, I still would prefer Kraftwerk or Rammstein over Karlheinz Stockhausen. No, don't search for him, if you still value your ears.
I searched for Stockhausen. You are correct. :sleep::|

• Agree
Reactions: Freodin
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟866,112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
@Freodin I'm currently reading The Guns Of August. The author mentions the year "...1426 when Berlin was a clump of wooden huts."

This doesn't seem right to me. Even if exaggerated some, is she right?

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
@Freodin I'm currently reading The Guns Of August. The author mentions the year "...1426 when Berlin was a clump of wooden huts."

This doesn't seem right to me. Even if exaggerated some, is she right?
No, she isn't right. Or at least massively exaggerating.

Berlin (and it's sister city Coelln) were at least two centuries older, and had been established as trading centers at an important crossroad / river crossing from the start. There are records of guilds and churches from the 13th century, and both settlements had been give city status around that time.

It's true that it may have been mostly wooden buildings... both cities were almost completely destroyed in a series of fires at the end of the 14th century... but it was definitly more than "a clump of huts".

Tuchman is an excellent narrator, and she has a way to make history come alive. But she isn't always the most precise historian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,433.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What are the differences between Germans and Austrians?

Good question.
One might say: None.
Because: Austria has been a quite natural part of Germany for centuries.
Now Austria is a state of its own, but culture and language is still German.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Good question indeed.
It's a bit complicated, and Red Gold has already given the short version.

The difference betweem Austrians and Germans today is nationality. Germans are citizens of the Federal Republic of Germany, Austrians of the Republic of Austria.
But both people share a long history, and culturally there are more similarities between southern Germans and Austrians than between Germans from North and South.

Nationality wasn't the major factor of the Holy Roman Empire, and that meant that different groups could drift away, especially when the only way to expand was into non-cultural-german areas.
That was the big topic when the question of "nation" finally reached the german states, back in the 19th century.
The two main rivals for dominance in any type of "German nation" were Austria and Prussia. Both had large non-german territories, but Austria much more so, its power was more dependent on them, and its interests. Austria with Hungary, the Balkan territories and the polish and ruthenian lands would have been a minor part of Germany. Austria with these lands would have changed the nature and focus of a german state.

So a seperation was almost inevitable. Austria couldn't renounce its status as a "Great Power", and Prussia could not accept such a rival in their zone of influence.

When Austria had finally lost all of it's imperial ambitions, after the Great War, there were major voices pleading for a reunification with Germany... but the Entente powers forbade that. These voices were not unopposed. When this reunification then happenend, it was more of a conquest, and even if there were many who applauded being called "heim in's Reich", there were more who weren't that happy to be ruled by "the Prussians".

After WW2, there were different plans for Germany and Austria. Had it been a bit different, maybe we would now discuss the question "What's the difference between Austria-Bavaria and Rhineland-Brandenburg?" or something like that.

• Informative
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,433.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
After WW2, there were different plans for Germany and Austria. Had it been a bit different, maybe we would now discuss the question "What's the difference between Austria-Bavaria and Rhineland-Brandenburg?" or something like that.

Exactly.
Or: "What is the difference between Germany and Bavaria?"

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,433.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So the English of Anglo Saxon descent have some kinship with the northern Germans on one side but virtually none with southern Germans and Austrians?

"none" is a great exaggeration.

Of course the Anglo-Saxons are closer related to the Saxons of Lower Saxony.
As the names suggests.
But they are also related to the Franks and Swabians and Bavarians in Southern Germany.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,433.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Almost no-one today knows that the origin of our name was meant as an insult: "thiusc" was the way the common people, the lower classes spoke - in contrast to the latin speaking nobles.

I am not sure whether it was meant as an insult.
I think it was a neutral word to distinguish between the Latin of the clergy and the everyday language that the non-clergy spoke.

Most nobles also spoke "thiudisc".

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"none" is a great exaggeration.

Of course the Anglo-Saxons are closer related to the Saxons of Lower Saxony.
As the names suggests.
But they are also related to the Franks and Swabians and Bavarians in Southern Germany.

I should have said, “less”; poor word choice.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am American from the state of Pennsylvania and there is much German heritage in our state. The Moravians, Amish etc. are still prominent communities in our state. A major Pa. frontiersman named Conrad Weiser was German born and actually dealt honestly with the Indians but unfortunately could not change history. Count Zinzendorf preached to the Indians in my local area in the Wyoming Valley of Pa. Then there is the mistaken identity of the Pa. “Dutch” ( actually Deutsch, of course) German settlers. etc.

Conrad Weiser - Wikipedia

Nicolaus Zinzendorf - Wikipedia

Pennsylvania Dutch - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
So the English of Anglo Saxon descent have some kinship with the northern Germans on one side but virtually none with southern Germans and Austrians?
"Kinship" is very unspecific term in this regard.
Culture is a very maleable thing, and ethnicity just a bit less so. Connections between areas and the people who live there are only roughly guided by the general setting of history and geography.

Over thousand years of history, the diverging lines are of much more importance that some mystical "kinship" ages ago. It doesn't even take a thousand years for cultures to split, merge, reform, change. And it doesn't take continents to seperate cultures... a river, forest, border, ruler... can do the same for just some square kilometers.

Reactions: Red Gold
Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,433.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't even take a thousand years for cultures to split, merge, reform, change. And it doesn't take continents to seperate cultures... a river, forest, border, ruler... can do the same for just some square kilometers.

So it is in the case of the former Grand Duchy of Baden and the Kingdom of Württemberg.
There is lots of "kinship" - but lots of seperation as well.

Upvote 0