What do you think about Praying for 5 hours a day?

Canada90

Aug 21, 2018
Vilnius
✟14,387.00
Country
Lithuania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you think If a person try to pray each day 5 hours ? I remember I used to pray like almost whole day. Then listen to christian music and just pray in my mind while sitting in chair. I felt very close to God. Do you think its good or maybe we shouldn't pray for so long?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kind of difficult if you are working a lot of hours, and have a family and church responsibilities.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you think If a person try to pray each day 5 hours ? I remember I used to pray like almost whole day. Then listen to christian music and just pray in my mind while sitting in chair. I felt very close to God. Do you think its good or maybe we shouldn't pray for so long?

If you did this, then, you are most admirable. If we but devoted just 30 minutes a day to pray to the Lord and willingly share with Him our thoughts, feelings, and concerns, then perhaps we'd all be better off as believers.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It's something monks do. They devote their entire lives to prayer. I read an account of a monk on Mount Athos who when he heard that the first Persian Gulf War began he began to pray for the world. He continued to pray until the war ended.

I can relate to your question because I have in the past done the same as you. I found it sometimes difficult to concentrate enough to continue. There were too many distractions. It made me think about the concept of purgatory. I felt like if I found myself in some intermediate state as that, that I would have to remain there until I could ignore everything that was going on around me. I felt like those monks who trained themselves to ignore all the distractions and continue in constant prayer might pass through purgatory because they already learned that lesson in this life.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Depends on what you're praying about. Prayer is communication with the Father, so presumably there is some actual information being conveyed.

There are congregations that have "prayer warriors." These are usually older people who have been in Christ for decades and decades, often now bedridden. Prayer is their service to the congregation. They take prayer requests of the congregation and spend their entire days taking them to the Lord.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't think that there's an upper limit.

Jesus said that men should always pray ...

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We are to pray without ceasing, but how we do so may vary according to whether we are in the world to whatever degree we are. Not everyone can be a monk, but everyone can maintain some kind of prayer rule, as is appropriate to their circumstances.

If you can pray for five hours a day, then God has blessed you that way. If you can pray in small amounts throughout the day, then God has blessed you in that way. It's not a competition, of course, but whatever is best for the individual. This is why it is best to consult your priest or other spiritual father to help you set up a prayer rule. When I first received an Agpeya/Coptic horologion, I didn't know anything about how to use it and I ended up establishing on my own a monastic-like practice, since I didn't know how it was actually used in the community. So I had to unlearn that in liturgy, and I think it would have been much easier if I had consulted a priest first so that I would have known how to use it (that just wasn't possible in my circumstances at the time).

But whatever you do the important thing is to pray.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are to pray without ceasing, but how we do so may vary according to whether we are in the world to whatever degree we are. Not everyone can be a monk, but everyone can maintain some kind of prayer rule, as is appropriate to their circumstances.

If you can pray for five hours a day, then God has blessed you that way. If you can pray in small amounts throughout the day, then God has blessed you in that way. It's not a competition, of course, but whatever is best for the individual.

A good point. I try to keep an open dialogue through most of the day as I'm going about my day with work and such. I'm not sure how much time it would add up to. I really doubt five hours a day for me, though.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is what the Apostle Paul said about praying:
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

IMO- and this is only my opinion....
I believe Paul is saying to continue to pray each and everyday in ALL circumstances as you go about your day. I do not think he said to listen to music for hours and pray. The mind wanders on to other things plus your state of mind alters. This is more like meditation or a relaxation technique.

Prayer is supplication and or praises to our Lord. It is the act of humbly asking for something earnestly while thanking Him for all He has given you and yours. If you need an entire day or even 5 hours to do this, then it is not prayer it is something else especially if you find yourself repeating words or phrases over and over. Remember what Christ said about repetitive prayer:

Matthew 6:7
“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

It depends. What are your motives for doing it? Is it so you can check it off, it's done for today, and then do what you want the rest of the day? Is it so you can feel God will bless you? The purpose of praying is spending time with God. Therefore finishing your prayers is not a form of relief, to release you to your day. It was never meant to be a duty but a privilege. We have access to the throne of God, by way of the cross (Hebrews 4:16). It is a precious gift.

Prayer is communication with God and the source of our connection with Him. It is like any other relationship, we need to talk in order to fuel the relationship. Let’s be sensitive to the Spirit about what we need. We are not earning God’s favor, we are opening ourselves up to deepen our awareness of His love for us. Spending 5 hours in prayer each day doesn’t necessarily make you closer to God. Spending five minutes in prayer doesn’t make you less close to God. The connection is unique to each of us. Let the Spirit guide you and let’s bask in God’s desire to spend time with us.

Question: "What does it mean to pray without ceasing?"

Answer:
Paul’s command in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 to “pray without ceasing,” can be confusing. Obviously, it cannot mean we are to be in a head-bowed, eyes-closed posture all day long. Paul is not referring to non-stop talking, but rather an attitude of God-consciousness and God-surrender that we carry with us all the time. Every waking moment is to be lived in an awareness that God is with us and that He is actively involved and engaged in our thoughts and actions.

When our thoughts turn to worry, fear, discouragement, and anger, we are to consciously and quickly turn every thought into prayer and every prayer into thanksgiving. In his letter to the Philippians, Paul commands us to stop being anxious and instead, “in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God” (Philippians 4:6). He taught the believers at Colossae to devote themselves “to prayer, being watchful and thankful” (Colossians 4:2). Paul exhorted the Ephesian believers to see prayer as a weapon to use in fighting spiritual battles (Ephesians 6:18). As we go through the day, prayer should be our first response to every fearful situation, every anxious thought, and every undesired task that God commands. A lack of prayer will cause us to depend on ourselves instead of depending on God's grace. Unceasing prayer is, in essence, continual dependence upon and communion with the Father.

For Christians, prayer should be like breathing. You do not have to think to breathe because the atmosphere exerts pressure on your lungs and essentially forces you to breathe. That is why it is more difficult to hold your breath than it is to breathe. Similarly, when we are born into the family of God, we enter into a spiritual atmosphere where God's presence and grace exert pressure, or influence, on our lives. Prayer is the normal response to that pressure. As believers, we have all entered the divine atmosphere to breathe the air of prayer.

Unfortunately, many believers hold their “spiritual breath” for long periods, thinking brief moments with God are sufficient to allow them to survive. But such restricting of their spiritual intake is caused by sinful desires. The fact is that every believer must be continually in the presence of God, constantly breathing in His truths, to be fully functional.

It is easier for Christians to feel secure by presuming on—instead of depending on—God's grace. Too many believers become satisfied with physical blessings and have little desire for spiritual ones. When programs, methods, and money produce impressive results, there is an inclination to confuse human success with divine blessing. When that happens, passionate longing for God and yearning for His help will be missing. Continual, persistent, incessant prayer is an essential part of Christian living and flows out of humility and dependence on God.

www.gotquestions.org/pray-without-ceasing.html

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,788.00
Faith
Non-Denom

If you try to put down an hour number as an absolute then I'd fear it would become a law of legalism over someone's conscience. Having said that Jesus did give an indication of how one should reasonably consider their prayer life. In one place he said, "Can you not watch with me one hour?" that is in prayer to God. No that doesn't mean you start a religion which gets out a clock and a bell rings after 60 minutes. He meant just generally speaking if you have a real relationship with God one should know the expectations God has for all.

Let's put it this way. If you gave God the same amount of attention each day that you gave secular entertainment well maybe that can be a an insight into what God maybe expects. It never ceases to amaze me how in other threads, and other message boards where I see dear Christians people who say they have no victory and are downcast and discouraged when you ask them how much time a day do you feed your spirit with God's word (which actually contains God's strength and encouragement) and how long a day to they spend worshiping God and they say maybe 5 to 10 minutes....if that? And then how long does one watch secular entertainment or even news on TV.....see what Wiki says below,

According to a Nielsen report, United States adults are watching five hours and four minutes of television per day on average (35.5 h/week, slightly more than 77 days per year).
Television consumption - Wikipedia

So that's about what...36 hours a week the world gets of you.....and God? Maybe 1 hour! So what might happen if we switched that around? Do you think you might become a lot stronger Christian? Do you think there'd be a lot less of statements like, I DON'T KNOW WHERE GOD IS? When God says draw near to me and I'll draw near to you, and you say OK Lord.....I'll give you 8 minutes of my time today instead of five! But it's got to be between this time and that because my shows come on here."

I think the angels look at one another and say, "They really don't get it do they! God will answer their prayers according to the glory which abides within them and they try to fill that void with a shot glass instead of filling up with a gallon jug!" And then we hear dear ones exclaiming they prayed a prayer to God and he didn't answer! But a prayer is but a mere snap shot in time. What have they got in their hearts in abundance?

Consider carefully what you hear, he continued. “With the measure you use, it will be measured to you—and even more. Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.” Mk 4:24,25

So no it's not a legalistic thing where you have to make it a law to yourself to pray long hours, but let's get real! How much time do you give the world and not God? You probably can't say how long you give TV each day but you do have a general basic sense. How about we just switch that around and observe the end result?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Canada90

Aug 21, 2018
Vilnius
✟14,387.00
Country
Lithuania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is what the Apostle Paul said about praying:
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

IMO- and this is only my opinion....
I believe Paul is saying to continue to pray each and everyday in ALL circumstances as you go about your day. I do not think he said to listen to music for hours and pray. The mind wanders on to other things plus your state of mind alters. This is more like meditation or a relaxation technique.

Prayer is supplication and or praises to our Lord. It is the act of humbly asking for something earnestly while thanking Him for all He has given you and yours. If you need an entire day or even 5 hours to do this, then it is not prayer it is something else especially if you find yourself repeating words or phrases over and over. Remember what Christ said about repetitive prayer:

Matthew 6:7
“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
But how to prayer and what to say? If you repeat your words sometime.

Upvote 0

Penpoint5309

jph7778.wixsite.com/penpoint
Jan 13, 2019
SC
✟8,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I think we should look to Jesus' example. Yes, He needed time to have quiet, lengthy conversations with the Father, but He also spent much of His time traveling to minister to people. We are called to glorify God by living out our faith and spreading the gospel to the ends of the earth. Prayer is an essential part of our spiritual growth and potency, but it is not the only part.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We should all try to spend as much time in prayer as possible. Because I work and have a family I find it hard to pray as often as I would like.

Upvote 0