What do you see as the future of Christianity in America?

BeginnerOnAPath

Jan 11, 2007
✟7,760.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
From 1990 to 2001, the percentage of Americans who could be called Christian declined from 86% to 77%. If the trend continues, non-Christians will outnumber Christians in 2042. Meanwhile, the no-organized-religion crowd almost doubled during the same time from 8% to 14.1%. All of this is according to the 2001 ARIS survey, which can be found by googling it.

Do you think these trends will continue? What effect do you think the association of Evangelical Christianity with George W. Bush will have, if any? What about the Mainline? Will they keep losing members, or make a comeback?

I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts!

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can't say I ever really cared.

When the followers of Christ first started, they were the "odd people out"

If things return to that, at the very least, it will remove the junk Christians from our culture, and those that are left, will be true followers.

As for Bush, well, I have always had the impression that "Christians" do more damage to the teachings of Christ then any other group of people.

God Bless

Key

Upvote 0
W

WashedClean

Although I have no proof and don't claim to be a prophet, I think it's very possible Christ will return before 2042. That would make this a moot point.

But the Bible does say that man will become more and more rebellious and further from God as the end draws near. We can see that happening now and in the past 50 years, as people do their own thing and don't live for God at all. I won't be surprised if America continues to be less and less Christian, but it's sad.

Upvote 0

FrAnthony

Nov 14, 2006
Collierville, TN
Visit site
✟15,405.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
From 1990 to 2001, the percentage of Americans who could be called Christian declined from 86% to 77%. If the trend continues, non-Christians will outnumber Christians in 2042. Meanwhile, the no-organized-religion crowd almost doubled during the same time from 8% to 14.1%. All of this is according to the 2001 ARIS survey, which can be found by googling it.

Do you think these trends will continue? What effect do you think the association of Evangelical Christianity with George W. Bush will have, if any? What about the Mainline? Will they keep losing members, or make a comeback?

For now, things unfortunately seem to point to an overwhelming "yes" as far as the downward trend continuing. I'm honestly not too worried about it though.

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That is not an easy question to answer, and impossible if your counting statistics. My view is not a popular one for America. The visible Church is much different than the unseen one. Within each "Church" there is a remnant or small group that actually obeys God's word as doers of it. As Jesus told us,many will say Lord, Lord to Him that never had more than a casual relationship with Him. A true relationship with God cannot be a just a club or fire insurance policy. Who would know this number of unseen followers other than God Himself? What we see on TV is just that - TV, and do we see all that is edited? Not hardly. If something actually good wa said, I doubt it would be aired because the prince of this world has an agenda to stop the truth from being heard. Would the "father of lies" willingly let his system be used to promote the truth? I don't think so.
God will continue to quiety call His people out of the world system.

Upvote 0

Breaking Babylon

Who is this King of glory?
Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"If you belonged to the world, its people would love you. But you don't belong to the world. I have chosen you to leave the world behind..."

Christianity doesn't look good in America today, much less in the future. It's a title which distinguishes pew-warmers from agnostics or atheists, not a way of life. Going to church makes one Christian as much as going to a garage makes one a mechanic. Who today is bearing a cross and denying the flesh? Not many. I don't see a lot of Christianity in America. Lots of hedonism, but not much Christianity.

77%. I'd be surprised if there was 10%.

Want to know why Christianity in the West is declining? Christianity. Weak, name-it-and-claim-it prosperity gospel feel good Christianity. We need less fire and brimstone scare tactic preaching, less self-help seminars, less merging congregations with worldly things. Maybe then we'll see Christianity as it's been taught from the beginning. "Let him pick up his cross, and follow Me."

And there's my opinion.

Reactions: Key
Upvote 0
W

WashedClean

"Although I have no proof and don't claim to be a prophet, I think it's very possible Christ will return before 2042."

Does this mean you are just going out on a blind limb here?

Not really, but in a way. Many prophecies mentioned in the Bible have come true in the last 50-100 years (the recognition of Israel as a nation being a major one). The decline of morality in general another. So although it's more an opinion than proof, I can back it up to some extent. I think many Christians would agree with me as well.

Upvote 0

jasper123

Jan 1, 2007
✟15,393.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I hope you were laughing when you called bush a
Christian, your going to have to prove that to me.
Christianity will get worse and worse, I think the problem
is that mainstream Christians like to believe what they
want to believe they don't seem to even care if it is
true as long as they happy.

ron

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeginnerOnAPath

Jan 11, 2007
✟7,760.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I hope you were laughing when you called bush a
Christian, your going to have to prove that to me.
Christianity will get worse and worse, I think the problem
is that mainstream Christians like to believe what they
want to believe they don't seem to even care if it is
true as long as they happy.

ron
Bush says he is a Christian. His conversion at the hands of Billy Graham is well-known. Why shouldn't we take him at his word?

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I dispute the 77% claim.

Basically, when they do these sorts of polls, they simply consider anyone who's ever been to church or calls themselves a Christian, a Christian.

They never stop to ask whether this person actually acknowledges Jesus as Lord of their life, or whether they've repented and put their faith in Him, all three Biblical criteria for the name, "Christian".

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Beginner--

I agree with Key - I don't care either. Christians are already the odd people out the day they became born again and live for Christ.

Churches that care about souls that are awake- are trying to stop this trend and turn it around because they take the great commission seriously. The adversary is also out to get souls.

And Pres. Bush; is a mystery to me. I feel its a couple possible things; he could be a christian but as a president is under extreme pressure so making questionable decisions OR he said a prayer with Billy Graham and this alone makes him in good standing with God.

Upvote 0

malckiah

Jesus Christ is my God and King!
Dec 9, 2006
Texas
✟17,426.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally think that there are way less Christians than we all think! alot people that call themselves Christians do not have a real relationship with Jesus, they hardly ever pray or even think of God, they dont read The Bible and they do not bear fruit as a result of being reborn! Those people who make up the most of what americans call Christians show themselves to be hypocrites! Now i am not saying that there are none....there are still quite a few real Christians, but in comparison to the false ones there are few! The Bible says that "he who says I know Jesus and doesnt keep His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him." 1 john 2:4
Then we learn that His commandments are these: "And this is His commandments, that we should believe on the name of His son Jesus Christ AND love one another, as He gave us commandment." 1 John 3:23
And AS HE GAVE US COMMANDMENT IS THIS: "A new commandment i give to you, that you love one another; AS I HAVE LOVED YOU, that you also love one another. By this you will know you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." john 13:34-35

Christians are not perfect, but they are forgiven!
However Scripture teaches that when a person is reborn they will show the fruits of being reborn.....which alot of "Christians" do not!

Upvote 0