What do we do about the perfidious Catholics who continue to profess heretical ideas?

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
AvilaSurfer said:
I beg to differ. You said exactly that.
No I didn't. All I pointed out is that some people do do the study and conclude the church is wrong. Others conclude it is right. I make no comment on which of those two are correct; that isn't the point I'm making. Just that study does not always lead to the student agreeing with the CC

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Obviously Catholics believe the bible supports their position.

But to suggest that anyone who studies the bible will arrive at that position seems to fly in the face of reality.
It does not matter what everyone else thinks. Catholics in a Catholic forum usually take the Catholic position. Why do you want to debate what those outside the church might conclude? It does not really matter from a Catholic pov.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Michie said:
It does not matter what everyone else thinks. Catholics in a Catholic forum usually take the Catholic position. Why do you want to debate what those outside the church might conclude? It does not really matter from a Catholic pov.
I don't think you've understood what I've said.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But still go to Communion each Sunday. It is truly horrifying.

Well people take Jesus in sacrilage all the time. The members of my own family are all lukewarm Catholics. I'm the only truly active one. Cept' perhaps a couple others.

It does kill me every time. I'm guilty of it too, but I make a GOOD confession and promise to never do it again. Fr. Ralph says people take communion in sacrilage because of pride and embarrassment. And he's absolutely right.

I tend to say, "If you're ashamed to tell your priests your true beliefs and what you stand for(because they hold the power to withhold Communion from you), maybe its time to rethink what you stand for...."

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Michie said:
No. I understood what you said. I just don't understand your reason for saying it.
RoJ (seemed) to be saying "if one studies one is bound to agree with the Church". That's clearly not the case - many do study and still disagree (or even move from agreeing to disagreeing). Study is a good thing, but it isn't proof against heresy; John Dominic Crossan is proof of that.

That's not saying that church teaching is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RoJ (seemed) to be saying "if one studies one is bound to agree with the Church". That's clearly not the case - many do study and still disagree (or even move from agreeing to disagreeing). Study is a good thing, but it isn't proof against heresy; John Dominic Crossan is proof of that.

That's not saying that church teaching is wrong.
Agreed. As my situation with Muslims worshipping the same God. I don't understand it so I cannot completely agree with it although I assent to it.

But let's not get into that again. I still need to discuss it with my priest.

Just using it as an example.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
One's understanding of Catholic teaching can be in varying stages of belief or understanding. For example, purgatory, I could not really get it. Or understand it. But over time and a lot of thinking, I now do. And I mean time. We arrive at getting it (whatever it may be for each of us) at different times.

So, wishing you all peace.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One's understanding of Catholic teaching can be in varying stages of belief or understanding. For example, purgatory, I could not really get it. Or understand it. But over time and a lot of thinking, I now do. And I mean time. We arrive at getting it (whatever it may be for each of us) at different times.

So, wishing you all peace.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I myself can see the growth and how far I've come in understanding of the Catholic faith. Unfortunately when I went to CCD wasn't so informant and I never got a good Catholic education as a kid as I should have.

Thanks to the glory of the internet and the grace of God for the will to do it, I really settled in and studied all I could. Some I didn't understand at the time, but then after attending masses, countless bible studies, and my own discoveries, I finally get it all. Well..most of it, I think.

But, as you said, all in good time! ^_^

Upvote 0