What do Baptists believe about speaking in tongues?

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure, but you can accept those things without being dispensationalist. The main contention happens when we shift from the age of the apostles to our current age. I forget the proper terms for them. Most dispensationalists/baptists believe that when the apostles basically died, or most notably, 'when that which is perfect comes' IE the Bible, these things will pass away. See 1 Cor 13:8-11. Pentecostals hold 'that which is perfect' to be Christ either at the rapture, or his second coming when he sets foot upon this rock to set up his earthly kingdom.

If you go through the A/G's theology it will show them to be just a hair shy of being dispensationalist.

Christ in the greek is always male
bible in the greek is always female

this perfect thing is a nueter thing in the greek

the thing is prophecy will cease within the context

2 cor 5:7

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2007
South Carolina
✟15,146.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Everyone is not going to agree . . . and I personally don't believe in arguing over beliefs. I don't think it helps anything. It does nothing for us - but more important, it gives our Lord a blackeye for it. It just looks bad on those who profess to believe. Fortunately, I have found really nice and very well mannered people here. What a blessing! The Lord is too good to us, far better than we will ever deserve. Praise his precious name!!!!

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone is not going to agree . . . and I personally don't believe in arguing over beliefs. I don't think it helps anything. It does nothing for us - but more important, it gives our Lord a blackeye for it. It just looks bad on those who profess to believe. Fortunately, I have found really nice and very well mannered people here. What a blessing! The Lord is too good to us, far better than we will ever deserve. Praise his precious name!!!!

since in eph 4 talks about one baptism, one God, one faith

there is only one right way...

I am not argueing .. just giving the facts!
the person who disagrees .. 2 tim 2:22-26 needs to put on the armor against satan in eph 6:10-18 if they understand how!

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone. I am just curious as to what Baptists believe about speaking in tongues. I was raised Southern Baptist but I don't remember this issue ever coming up in church. I am slowly beginning to do research about various denominations because I am considering possibly going back to church again. Anyway, if you could, please identify which specific Baptist denomination you are in. I'll appreciate your answers. :)

God Bless,
Holly
The Southern Baptist position is that there is no valid use of tongues today. Other Baptist denominations have views varying from identical to that, to embracing tongues as a valid spiritual gift for today. As most Baptist churches are autonomous -- they don't have a central ruling authority, regardless of which convention or congress or association they affiliate with -- it will also vary from church to church. You'll just have to ask what people think.

Also, this is a divisive topic that tends to lead to arguments, animosity and hurt feelings, so it would probably be best to make this inquiry at the church you think about attending rather than getting yet another brouhaha started on the forum.

Upvote 0

forSaviour

Jun 16, 2007
✟15,193.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Apostols spokes on understandable languages!!!!!!!!!!!!!But these tongues are not understandable even by them who speak and prays with them.This is demonical effect!!!These people are possessed by devil!!!Don't even wish to speak on it it is way to hell!!!I know what i tell because i met many people such, they can even kill and etc.Be careful it is very serious!!!

Upvote 0

Countrygirl1976

Jun 16, 2007
Visit site
✟15,513.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that God gives us gifts. I also believe that if you are truly speaking in tongues it has a message. I have been to several churches and have witnessed people turning on and off the speaking in tongues and at these churches no one was telling others what they were saying. Because if someone is speaking in tongues someone else has to have the gift to tell others what the person is saying. So what these people were doing was not the Lord talking through them. I do not have this gift but I cry when the Lord starts talking to me. I can understand people when they are truly speaking in tongues so I can tell the difference when the Lord is speaking through them or not. I am a Baptist that has went to a couple Pentacoastal churches.

Upvote 0

forSaviour

Jun 16, 2007
✟15,193.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
God understand all languages.What for should He give to people new tongues if He understand all languages?Book of 1 Corinthians 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the LORD. 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

Upvote 0

forSaviour

Jun 16, 2007
✟15,193.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels
, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Imblessed

Reformed Baptist with a Quaker heritage
Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I belong to a reformed baptist church and they are cessationists. I don't know that I can take it that far without more study, but I do believe that a vast majority of the 'tongues' being spoken today are of the flesh and not a gift from God. Are they possessed by the devil? No, I don't think so, just letting their fleshly desire for ' an experience' get in the way....

I think it's certainly possible that God still does that today for missionaries who are preaching in remote places, but not likely<----it's rarely heard about.

I realize that some pentecostals and other churches of that kind try hard to keep the practice of tongues biblical---but I fail to see the reasoning behind even doing it, since most if not all of the attenders of any particular church are speaking the same language anyway!

As far as the 'babble' goes, or heavenly languages as people call it, I believe it is just a fleshly thing and not of the Spirit. I have a friend who does believe in the gift of tongues and claims to practice it, the 'heavenly language' part; I think he is fooling himself in an attempt to be more spiritual, but we just agree to disagree on that and go on.

Upvote 0

jive4005

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2007
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟10,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone. I am just curious as to what Baptists believe about speaking in tongues. I was raised Southern Baptist but I don't remember this issue ever coming up in church. I am slowly beginning to do research about various denominations because I am considering possibly going back to church again. Anyway, if you could, please identify which specific Baptist denomination you are in. I'll appreciate your answers. :)

God Bless,
Holly
Depends upon which Baptist you ask!

Upvote 0

greeker57married

Nov 13, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟15,772.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This article was in the Alabama Baptist, June 14, 2007. -"Has the Gift Ceased" It says quote, "Half of Southern Baptist Pastors believe the Holy Spirit gives some people a special language to pray to God, Accoring to a recent study on the use of private prayer language from LifeWay Christian Resources."

This shows how Southern Baptist have change in the last several years. Traditionally Southern Baptist did not believe that tongues was a present day gift.

Jerry Rankins President of the Southern Baptist International Mission Board says he has used tongues as a prayer language for over thirty years. This has caused contraversy in the Convention.

Most southern Baptist today believe that Spiritual gifts, such as Prophecy, teaching, exhoration, service, Administration, giving and others are still given today.

God Bless
Greeker

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like I posted before. We all have spritial gifts. We just don't know what they are.
then if pastor teacher is a gift why would God give a gift for them not to use

with maturity one by trying to love other believer will now what there gift is by other people tellin them

I believe that if some one is truly speaking in tongues it is a gift from the holy spirit.

yet we have 1 cor 13:8-10

depend on the time period

is right now 2 cor 5:7

Upvote 0

oneofchrists

Give Me Stength Lord
Sep 9, 2009
Intervale, New Brunswick Canada
✟8,514.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
:D:clap::clap:I have to Say ... as Usual ...Ha Ha ... that being a Baptist not a reformed Baptist but a Baptist belonging to the council of Maritime Baptist Churches Convention , in Atlantic Canada ( the Maritime Provinces). I have been to Quite a Few Baptist churches in My Time and I have never seen anyone Speak in Prayer languages , Tongues , Heavenly language or What Have You . I have asked the Question and some are completely against such an exercise, other's will admit that there is some significance to it, and believe it is a true gift of the Holy Spirit while making the point it is the least of all of the spiritual gifts. other's never even consider it as being a spiritual Gift that is Used by Christians today they Believe it died Out in the apostles Time.

Then I would ask the Question , Why is it then that Christians of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada and across the North America for that matter , encourage speaking in tongues and Yet We as Baptists Don't,won't, or can't.....They would just say that a lot of those that supposedly speaking the alleged heavenly languages are just faking it and it was just an act . Then I would ask well that was the most of them, What about the remainder? were they speaking in legitimacy? I never really got a concise answer for that.

I will say that I did Hear Jimmy Swaggart Speak In tongues one time on T.V. ....But alas Look what happened to Jimmy and His Ministry.... he has tried to make a come back But He is a shadow of His former self. Perhaps the same Shadow that He was drapping over His listeners in T.V. land Years ago.

I am not trying to be sarcastic , because I used to watch Jimmy faithfully every Sunday Morning before I would go to Church... I will say that he had comand of His listeners... You could not go to sleep in His service.....but that was then and this is Now. So be careful Brothers and Sisters that no one deceives You . For Satan can Trap us in a multitude of ways , He has traps set all around Us , and all it takes is to not sek the Lords guidance in any given situation and We can get caught into a lie . just be very cautious and let Jesus be Your guides .

I would not want My Pentecostal Brethern to think less of Me because I have expressed Myself in this manner for Perhaps someday , for reasons I cannot fathom He will allow Me the Gift of tongues. But right now I have to go with what He is guiding Me to do at this time and I guess it isn't the spiritual gift of tongues.

God Bless You all My Brothers and Sisters in Jesus and I pray that these Posts will continue to carry on with the Peace Of Christ and Love and Guidance of His Holy Spirit ....Dave:amen::prayer::prayer::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OneofChrist's, you are making some valid points. First, many Pentecostals are Godly people who witness for the Lord faithfully. However, even a casual reading of Acts chapter 2 will show you that speaking in tongues is speaking to another person, in a language that you do not understand, in order to tell him how to be saved.

It appears from 1 Corinthians that a person who can speak in tongues can abuse the gift, using it to show off in church, in front of people who are already saved. But I have noticed that the people who do this cannot go out and speak to a person in another language, and I do not believe that they have the gift of tongues at all.

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I belong to a reformed baptist church and they are cessationists. I don't know that I can take it that far without more study, but I do believe that a vast majority of the 'tongues' being spoken today are of the flesh and not a gift from God. Are they possessed by the devil? No, I don't think so, just letting their fleshly desire for ' an experience' get in the way....

I think it's certainly possible that God still does that today for missionaries who are preaching in remote places, but not likely<----it's rarely heard about.

I realize that some pentecostals and other churches of that kind try hard to keep the practice of tongues biblical---but I fail to see the reasoning behind even doing it, since most if not all of the attenders of any particular church are speaking the same language anyway!

As far as the 'babble' goes, or heavenly languages as people call it, I believe it is just a fleshly thing and not of the Spirit. I have a friend who does believe in the gift of tongues and claims to practice it, the 'heavenly language' part; I think he is fooling himself in an attempt to be more spiritual, but we just agree to disagree on that and go on.

As with many things, opinions vary. Without getting into the fray, I am content to let God be God, and understand that the gifts that He gives us are as He Wills, not as we will. Especially the gifts in 1 Corinthians, they do not operate at the behest of the the one to whom the gift is given, but as God Wills, and under His direction.

BTW, I like your sig...:D ;) :cool: I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" it.....;) :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0