• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What did your dad teach you?

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seeking - I'm sorry your father let you down.

My father let me down for a time and then worked hard to make it right. For a time, he did not give us his best, then for a time he did. I love my Dad and I am grateful to him for working so hard to try to make it better. I am the man I am today because of his effort to turn things around. I forgive him for his flaws, because unforgiveness would only hurt me.

I have made it my mission in this world to do everything I can to be a World Class Dad for my two daughters. I fail often, but I will not stop trying. I consider fatherhood to be my most important job.

Take heart. You can look at the story of Joshua in Exodus. What has been done in evil intent, God can use it for good.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I had a very, very good relationship with my Dad. He was far from perfect, but nobody is. He was a World War II veteran who was left with a lifelong hatred of the Japanese and made no bones about it....a good portion of him never quite made it all the way back from the Pacific. He was exquisitely profane, had little use for organized religion although he was a deep believer in God, and was fond of political debate.

He was a reformed alcoholic, who quit drinking when I was very young; I remember him keeping a whiskey bottle under the front seat of the car when I was about three, maybe four years old, but he went cold turkey shortly after that and never touched the stuff again. He was faithful to my mother for 51 years and never cheated once. My sisters and I never lacked for clothes to wear or food to eat or a roof over our heads.

Dad could be strict, but he was never abusive. He didn't tolerate fools well, and clashed with the administration of my school on a fairly regular basis. As I grew older, I grew more attached to my Dad; we enjoyed the same movies, the same TV shows, even the same music. I was always looking for cool stuff to share with him. He was tremendously supportive of me when I came home from the service with a lot of trauma, anger, and isolation issues. All in all, he was one of the finest men I've ever known or had in my life, and I miss him every day. When he died, I went into a state of shock for a month afterwards. I hope to be reunited with him some day.

Upvote 0

Mea_kākau

I'm A Work in Progress
Supporter
Jul 30, 2016
Washington State
✟38,440.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My father was a pedophile, assassin, and a serial killer. What he taught me I couldn't write here. I'd have to sensor every word. He committed criminal acts on me and others and I witnessed them.

As a child my stepdad called me his son. I was a girl. My father also treated me as if I was a boy. I grew up confused about my sexuality. It took me years to straighten myself out with much talking to God, going to therapy, and writing about it.

A therapist taught me to find healthier memories of father figures in my life. I have fond memories of my fifth grade teacher who knew something was wrong and helped me to feel better about myself.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My dad literally taught me, as he was my math teacher. ^_^

Aside from school... I learned to leave your home a little messy when your wife is gone for a week so she feels needed, that a man's stature actually has very little to do with his height, and how to imitate bird calls and get birds to land near you.

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2023
Sioux Falls
✟8,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Both my mom and dad sucked. The way I could tell them apart is my dad hit harder than my mom. Family is just another F word. I learned to hate and distrust all of humanity. This includes women and Christian women especially, for they are a bunch of man hating feminist nuns who live to only harm men. I am most of all angry at God because his word speaks of love yet he withholds it from me!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

markbrewer

Mar 29, 2019
kentucky
✟23,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
my father was/is a good man, much respected by everyone who knows him. if he ever drank, it was very little. did not cheat, didn't gamble. and we went to church most of the time. my dad is what you might call a "man's man": unbelievably tough and strong. he worked a public job all week and farmed on the weekends. i loved my dad, but i didn't love that farm and i got away from it as soon as i could. i grew up hunting and fishing and driving tractors and trucks and riding horses. i missed the horses.

the thing about my family was the anger between my parents. they got into some of the most horrendous fights you could ever imagine. but they stayed together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0